“Like eating in your elderly neighbor's kitchen”
Review of Tonn's Restaurant

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Tonn's Restaurant
Ranked #79 of 144 Restaurants in Mankato
Cuisines: Cambodian, Chinese
North Mankato, Minnesota
“Like eating in your elderly neighbor's kitchen”
Reviewed November 19, 2012

When you walk into Tonn's you're struck by two things immediately - the odor of sweet incense and a very comfortable living room style couch butted up against the wall. A television in the corner was turned on to a Cambodian variety show. Tables are lined up near open metal shelves loaded with supplies and boxes. And out from the back, from behind a folded curtain at the kitchen, the smiling owner/cook sprints to the front on her gym shoes, graciously taking your order. The food was fast and pretty good - you must try the crab rangoon and egg rolls. I'm told the spicy chicken is the best. I'm trying it next time. (Check out the old merchandise by the cash register. Felt like I was in an antique store.) It's disheveled, comfy and friendly - like its owner.

• Visited November 2012

Mankato, Minnesota, United States
“Hidden Little Gem of SouthEast Asian in Mankato”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Tonn's Restaurant is hidden in downtown Mankato right next door to the well-known breakfast establishment, The Wagon Wheel.

The outside may be deceiving, but once into the building you're greeted by a wonderful, and one of the most amazing women ever. Inside the restaurant is an atmosphere decorated with elements that portray the culture of Cambodia. In a little corner of the restaurant towards the kitchen are pictures from her personal life. From here, you can tell she appreciates and loves her family very, very much. As a student of Thai and Laotian descent from the twin cities in Mankato for college, it is very hard for me to find EXCELLENT quality oriental food that I grew up with. Many of the Asian restaurants (if you count the buffets) do not satisfy my traditional tastes on what oriental cuisine should be.

I was not disappointed when I walked into Tonn's Restaurant. I ordered the spicy chicken and the egg roll appetizer combo with lettuce. I was really impressed and I felt like I was back at home eating my mother's food. Tonn knew what I wanted and even made me special requests off menu as I wanted more of the traditional stuff (as long as her inventory could sustain my requests).

I really recommend this place and I will definitely come back. Tonn is a hard-working (elderly) woman, cheery, and a single mother trying to make ends meet and retire successfully. The only one helping her is her granddaughter whom respects her (Tonn) and wants to make sure her grandmother is okay. She will make sure her customers feel appreciated, welcomed, and walk out satisfied.

• Visited April 2012
Minnesota
“Quantity and quality!”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

Bring your appetite because you HAVE to have one of Tonn's eggrolls with with your meal. They are good size and so tasty. I'm also a fan of the spicy chicken. I'd say it's about medium heat; however, by southern Minnesota standards it may be a little hotter than that. I think it's just right!

This place is located in Downtown Mankato on Front Street near a used book exchange and a CD store. Both of these are fun to visit when down here too!

• Visited April 2012
Mankato, Minnesota
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Egg Rolls anywhere!!!!”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Tonn does it all herself.

She will prepare a few hundred egg rolls from scratch every few weeks and freeze them. You can buy them frozen for $10 a dozen to take home. Just pop in oven at 350 for 20 min on each side and they are just as crispy as they are at the restaurant. Great snack!

Did I mention the Cream Cheese Puffs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank kjorting
Minnesota
“Great Food”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Appearances can be deceiving look past what you see and you will be treated to some wonderful Cambodian food. The sesame and the spicy chicken are outrageously good and tasty. Saturday soup is a real treat not to mention the best egg roll I have ever had anywhere. Tonn is a wonderful woman who works so hard for everyone that enters her door.

• Visited September 2011