“It's going down hill”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout
Mankato
“It's going down hill”
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

When this place first open it was really good. Now its just old, cold,and hard. The sushi tastes like it was made with last weeks fish and the rice they roll it in is hard. The service could be friendlier. There not very informed about their food choices either.

Shakopee, Minnesota
“Great place”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

Wonderful assortment of food. Clean restaurant. I'm not a picky person when it comes to Asian food; just don't make me eat sushi, yuk. The chicken and beef with vegetable dishes were very good. The desserts were good the price was right. The person from WI who complained they spent $66 for 6 people to eat unlimited portions must have had a bad day. It was just fine for a place that the food is $10 person.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank homebody25
Bennekom
“Good and unlimited food for a very nice price.”
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Large selection of Asian dishes, good quality and very cheap.
Drinks cost only 1 USD!
Easy accessible by car and close to Courtyard hotel.

Visited March 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I read this was the best Asian place in town: for the sake of Mankato, I hope not!”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Spent $66 for 6 people to eat some of the worst Asian food I've ever had. I know now how spoiled I am to live in Madison, WI where we are surrounded by more incredible restaurants than one could eat at in a year.

We went here because we were staying in the hotel next door and I had read a review of the hotel that state it was situated next to "the best Asian place in town." Not quite sure what that person's experience with Asian food is, but we would have all been much better off going to the Chinese place at the mall food court.

There was no sushi chef on duty when we were there and everything looked old, dry and, quite frankly, scary. I told my boyfriend to stop eating the sushi he had chosen, but he told me it was a roll that was cooked, so I settled down a bit.

Most everything I had was old and dry. They honey chicken had potential, but was old and dry. The coconut chicken had potential, but was dry as the Gobi. Even the steamed rice was dry. I can't say I've ever been to an Asian place that messed up steamed rice.

I don't do seafood besides a coconut shrimp or crab Rangoon here or there but noticed the clams looked completely dried out, their shells sticking out of the water looking completely overdone and just unpleasant, and the crayfish, while some appeared fine, others were clearly scorched all along their undersides.

There is a hibachi bar where you can choose your meats and veggies and a chef cooks it all up for you, but the meat honestly looked really sketch, lying out on ice raw for goodness knows how long. Some of it was definitely a funky color.

My boyfriend got some beef and veggies cooked up and he said he was 99% sure the cook put the cooked meat back onto the plate where the raw meat had been. After a brief discussion with each other, we decided since it was beef, it was safe to go ahead and he has survived just fine.

The green tea ice cream was the high point of my meal and that wasn't even cold enough.

Very disappointing. We were really looking forward to a great meal and didn't even get a good one.

Staff was helpful and friendly, however.

1 Thank ImmoralBeloved
Minnesota
“Lots of variety and it's good”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We live fairly close to Mankato and dine there frequently. Recently we ate at the rather new Asiana Buffet for the first time. I think two previous restaurants failed in that spot but when we were at the Asiana for a Saturday lunch there was a very good crowd. It's a one price (maybe $8 or $9 for their lunch) place that has a very wide variety of things to tempt you.
We only used the buffet and most of it was things you would usually find at an American buffet that featured Chinese food. Some soup, spring rolls, white and fried rice, and many main course offerings were there. Two different friends had suggested the peanut butter chicken which we had never heard of and although good it was not special, just unique. But, considering the variety they do have, surely everyone can find something to their liking. There were also a few more American items for those who prefer that. I only remember seeing a meat loaf when I walked past it the day we were there since I was only interested in the Chinese items.
We did not try them on a first visit but there were two other possibilities. They had a sushi area and a cook who continually was cranking it out. They also had a wide variety of meat and vegies to give to another cook who would do your food as fresh stir fry. We will try these items on a second visit to the Asiana.
They had a few beers plus tea and coffee. You were greeted and seated and helped by friendly staffers. Based on what we saw there the place seems to be doing well. I do not know what the evening charge is but it is certainly more than what they get for lunch. The Asiana is visible from highway 14 as it goes around Mankato and next to a motel. We plan on returning for another visit.

• Visited October 2013