“Good, not Great, Fast Food BBQ”

Dickey's Barbecue Pit
Ranked #76 of 147 Restaurants in Mankato
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed May 15, 2013

This was my first experience eating at a Dickie’s BBQ Pit. I was hoping for a more restaurant experience, like Famous Daves, or Token’s BBQ, which it was not. Dickie’s is a fast food establishment. You go up to the counter, place your order, and one or two minutes later you have your food. There is no tell-tale evidence of onsite barbequing; no waft of wood smoke in the air; no person you can recognize as a proud pit master.
I had a rack of ribs, with a side of baked beans, potato salad, and coleslaw, and their proprietary southern sweet iced tea.
The ribs served were meaty, well cooked, and had good flavor. They are served cut to individual ribs and slathered with their regular BBQ sauce – unless you request otherwise. You are welcome to ladle additional BBQ sauce at their condiment station. The sauces are in a heated container – that’s nice. They offer three BBQ sauces – Sweet & Spicy, Regular, and Sweet. I thought there was only a marginal difference of flavor between each sauce – All, in my opinion, were too sweet.
The baked beans and coleslaw were good, but nothing special – just run of the mill, available at any grocery store.
I really liked their potato salad. Besides potatoes, it had boiled egg, and a great dill flavor. Nice and creamy. It was delicious.
They offer complimentary self soft-served vanilla ice cream to finish your meal.
Overall, the food was good, but my expectations were higher. When I go out for BBQ, I want great BBQ, with all the typical evidence of great BBQ and the kitsch. Dickies is more like a McDonalds. If you want a great hamburger, is McDonald’s the first place you think of?

Reviewed May 8, 2013

We ordered beef brisket sandwiches which were freshly sliced after we ordered. We actually watched them "chop" our meat for our sandwiches. Their barbecue sauce is wonderful. Pickles and onions are an option on your sandwich. They have options to purchase sides with your sandwich. We did not get any sides as we were not that hungry. We were very pleased with our sandwiches. They came with a very good amount of beef. You may also get more barbecue sauce if you would like--we did because we liked it so much! Your drink purchase comes with a big yellow Dickeys plastic cup which you can fill as much as you would like with your choice of sodas. Then after you are all done with that, you can go and fix yourself a free ice cream cone (or two, if you can eat it) We thought it was a very nice place to eat. We will go back again when we are in town.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

They only make so much BBQ a day, and when it's gone...it's gone! Actually never got to try it... they were out.

1  Thank Kim H