“Friendly staff & great hotel but a few problems”
Review of Courtyard Mankato

Courtyard Mankato
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Mankato
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 28, 2013

For my Dad's 70th BDay gift we gave him a package deal for Drive A Tank which is in Kasota, MN about 20 minutes from the Courtyard Marriott in Mankato, MN where we stayed.
First off if you are traveling East on 14 from 169(we came from Minneapolis) you need to exit before you can actually see the hotel(GPS helped with this).
We arrived to a very friendly receptionist who got us checked in right away and was very helpful in telling us about the town. Additionally, the other staff including the restaurant manager came over and talked to us and helped give information about shopping and restaurants. Even the maid who we met was very talkative & friendly as we ran into her after when we got back from our excursions.
Additionally, the hotel was very clean and must have been just renovated or newly built because it definitely had a different more modern feel then other Courtyard Marriott's I have stayed in. Note however that our rooms just had showers in them & no tubs(but big showers). Not sure if they have rooms with tubs. However I think the toilets may be a low flow type as ours was clogged and really didn't drain too fast. But on the positive, when we called the front desk the guy was at our door almost right after I hung up and was able to clear the clog in maybe 5 minutes. Additionally, the on site Bistro had some good food and even supported the local craft brewery by selling their beers. And as mentioned earlier, the manager and staff were very friendly though sometimes overwhelmed with orders.
Furthermore, the it was nice sitting downstairs in the lounge area talking without feeling crowded even with the fairly large wedding party going on.
Now for the negatives, which I really hate to do to these folks since they were very nice. First off I was paying for my folks room in addition to ours and specifically asked them to not put the end of stay receipt under my parents door. I even went through this with the receptionist & told them to just put both of them under my door. Unfortunately my folks ended up with the receipt under their door. I know not a big deal put when you give a gift to someone you generally don't give them a receipt too. But of course at breakfast my Mom(who had the receipt in front of her) was fussing that we spent too much and wanted to chip in. Secondly, for some reason housekeeping did not clean my parents room. They were able to call down for more towels & coffee which was delivered super fast and I am sure they would have sent up someone to clean the room & naked the bed but my parents were fine with it. Still I have to give them a ding on that even though the maid was super friendly.
All in all we had a great stay save for a few snafus.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Courtyard_Mankato901, Manager at Courtyard Mankato, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear Brett B,

Thank you for staying with us and bringing your parents to celebrate your dad's 70th birthday. We were glad to be part of your family’s memories. I am also delighted that you had friendly service and help from our staff.

I have looked back to the housekeeping room cleaning lists and it says that they had requested no service, I'm very sorry that their room was not cleaned. It may have been a misunderstanding with housekeeping and your parents may have intended them to come back later. I will make sure housekeeping is communicating better with our guests to prevent this from happening again.

We are a brand new build and also a LEED Certified Hotel. (Leaders in Energy & Environmental Design) We do have energy efficient toilets in all of our guest rooms and I'm sorry you had a problem with it getting clogged but am glad it was fixed right away for you.

We appreciate all of your comments as it helps us to better train our staff to become top quality associates and being able to deliver the best customer service to our guests. Again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit.

Kalisha Langford
Operations Manager

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Recently stayed for just 1 night and the hotel was extremely clean and the room very comfortable. They have a nice courtyard with a fireplace where my son will have his wedding next year. Glad they chose this location

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Courtyard_Mankato901, General Manager at Courtyard Mankato, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

"Super Nice"

Thank you for your kind remarks you shared with Trip Advisor and its visitors, myself and the entire Courtyard staff thank you for your business and look forward to hosting your son’s wedding next year. Hope 2013 ends off well for you!

Kind regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Rachael and her team did a great job hosting our business meeting. This is the second meeting we have held here recently and all did a great job taking care of our needs. They exceeded our expectations. I highly reccommend this hotel for meetings and sleeping rooms. Great job by Rachael and her staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Courtyard_Mankato901, Manager at Courtyard Mankato, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear mark n,

Thank you so much for holding your meeting and dinner here! It was such a pleasure working with you and your team! It is so nice to hear that we were able to exceed your expectations during your meeting and dinner. Once again thank you so much and please let us know if there are future meetings you would like to hold here.

Rachel Mattison
Sales & Events Manager

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I live out of state and recently traveled to this facility to be not only a guest, but the DJ for her wedding. I must say, this venue is a MUST CHECK OUT for anyone planning an event. The hotel is immaculate. New rooms, comfortable lobby, etc. But the event center is top notch. From the built in audio/video infrastructure, the event staff, useable courtyard and even a decor that is very modern (far away from your grandmas couch) you will leave going "WOW".

Room Tip: I was on the ground level, and never heard a thing! (including the pool a hallway down)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Courtyard_Mankato901, General Manager at Courtyard Mankato, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

TikiManEntertainment,

I must say this is a first to have a DJ take the time to write a review about a Hotel or venue they performed at. I have looked all over Trip Advisor and I couldn't find another review like this - Thank you very much.

Our hotel just turned one year old on October 3rd and our entire staff is trying to keep the hotel looking like it did the day it opened. We frequently have guest check in and tell us that the hotel looks and smells like it opened yesterday.

We did put a lot of time and effort into designing and decorating our Event Center and its gives us great pride in hearing your comments!

Rock on DJ...

Reviewed October 10, 2013

We loved this hotel. Very new and updated decor. great location, next to River Hills Mall. The rooms were spacious and bathroom roomy with a wonderful shower. Beds were comfortable and we had no problems sleeping. We used the lobby for an informal gathering of relatives and felt like we were at home. The staff was very accommodating. We will never stay any where else when visiting Mankato.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Kai1970,

I appreciate your business and we are very pleased you "Loved this Hotel"!

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with others on Trip Advisor and we look forward to having you as our guest when you travel to the area again.

Travel Brilliantly!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

What a great hotel... located within a shopping mall premise! You walk into the hotel and feel instantly at home because of the entry-room's large, modern décor and the staff happily welcoming you to the hotel. After checking in, we entered our room and were surprised to find a handwritten note thanking us for staying at the hotel and hoping we enjoy our stay. That took some pre-planning on their part to have this prepared. It felt as though they were eager to have you stay there, so we decided not to explore the surrounding area for a bar/restaurant, but try the on-site Bistro for drinks and food. It's a limited menu, but the food was good and the staff was eager to serve us. We had a really nice stay and would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Courtyard_Mankato901, General Manager at Courtyard Mankato, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear MGSchuster from Longmont, Colorado

I’m happy to hear you were “Pleasantly Surprised”

We do try to personalize guest experience when possible, whether a note in the room, remembering guest name from a previous visit, allow early or late checkout as available etc.

We do have the Spirit to serve and myself and rest of our staff look forward to that opportunity again!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I travel to Mankato about a dozen times a year on business and as a result have stayed in just about every hotel in town. When this place opened, I tried it. I am never staying anywhere else again. It's clean, quiet, very well appointed, great features, and has a hotel staff that I've found to be unusually helpful and friendly. They have gone the extra mile for me on more than one occasion in the last few visits. I'll never stay anywhere else in Mankato again - and neither should you. 5+ starts. EXCELLENT hotel. You won't be sorry. And no, I'm not some employee from the place writing a glowing review. I'm just a lowly state employee that was blown away by the quality, value, and service at this place - and you will be too.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side don't get sun.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear State Worker,

Our hotel does offer a State Government rate and being Southern Minnesota’s newest hotel I agree with you I don’t think if you are working on Government business you should stay anywhere else.

I would enjoy meeting you personally next time you’re in town please just ask for me at the front desk especially if there is anything I can assist you with.

Thanks for your business!