“Great Property, Great Staff!”
Review of Courtyard Mankato

Courtyard Mankato
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Mankato
GreenLeadersSilver level
Urbandale, Iowa
“Great Property, Great Staff!”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I am a consultant working in Mankato for the last several months. I have stayed at a number of hotels in the Mankato area and the Courtyard is, by far, the best in terms of quality, value and staff. The hotel is brand new and the staff is genuinely friendly and incredibly helpful. They remember my name as soon as I walk in the door and go out of their way to make me feel at home. The rooms are spotless and quiet and the bed and pillows are plush. I've had a few of the appetizers and sandwiches in the cafe/bar. The food is quite good, but a little pricey. I haven't tried the pool, but it looks very nice. I have used the exercise room multiple time and the equipment is high quality. The location is convenient to a number a good restaurants and next door to the shopping mall. The best feature of this hotel is the staff! Without exception, they seem to enjoy their jobs and they know how to do customer service! I won't stay anywhere else when I come to Mankato.

Room Tip: This hotel sometimes has large events in its conference center. Second and third floor rooms are qu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Courtyard_Mankato901, General Manager at Courtyard Mankato, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Lynn Michl,

The review you wrote on Trip Advisor was very kind and appreciated but most importantly I appreciate your business! It is easy to say we are the newest hotel in town but you mentioning that our staff is our best asset means a lot to me and I plane on sharing this review with rest of the staff.

Preston Lougheed

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I travel often to Mankato due to my son going to school at the university, and although I love the AmericInn, the Courtyard is now my favorite hotel in town. The room was awesome, great style and very comfortable bed. The hot tub and workout area was very nice and relaxing. Breakfast at the express counter was very good as well. I will be back again!

St. Paul Traveler,

Thanks for the awesome review that you posted on this site, myself and the entire staff truly appreciate your business and can't wait to have you as our guest next time you visit the Greater Mankato Area.

With appreciation!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel is beautiful and new, the rooms are very pretty and the beds were super comfy!! The location is just behind the mall and within a few miles of many places to eat. There is an event center connected to the hotel so it may get rather busy during the weekends, were were there a Monday-Wednesday and it was fairly quiet. There is a nice workout room and pool as well.

There are only two things about the hotel that bothered me - first, the parking lot is confusing. I know it sounds silly, but it was tricky to get in and out of. There is only one way out- through the center- and with the snow it was difficult to figure out.

Second, the music in the lobby is SO LOUD!! I went down on a Wednesday afternoon to do some work while waiting for my husband to finish his workday. I had to leave and to go a coffee shop because the music was blaring. I did not ask to have it turned down, and I'm pretty sure they would have. My suggestion would be to only have the music pumping in the eating area, the rest of the lobby should be quieter. Especially the area where there is a TV.

All in all, the hotel is 'very good' and once the music situation is sorted out, I would probably stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Courtyard_Mankato901, General Manager at Courtyard Mankato, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Mrs. Traveler 22,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and thank you for sharing your comments with trip advisor. I’m am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful new hotel but I would like to respond to a few of your concerns.

The music in the lobby is meant to give you a sense of excitement and vibrancy but I can see how you thought it was too loud. I have taken your recommendation and lowered the music to a more acceptable level. If you allow us the opportunity to have you as a guest again at our hotel again and the music is above your liking please just ask the front desk and we can lower it right away. I cannot easily make changes to our parking lot but I appreciate your feedback and have shared your comments with the owner of the hotel.

Hope to see you soon!

Red Lake Falls, MN
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I booked the hotel because it had so many great reviews. I wasn't impressed with the staff. The only person that seemed friendly is on our check-out. Everyone else seemed to have a chip on their shoulder. The room was clean except when we turned on the bathroom fan there was dust that came out and covered the floor. They don't dust everywhere only where you can see. The commons areas were really nice and cozy. The outdoor fireplace was amazing and the pool area was very nice. Didn't have drinks or any food at the hotel but everyone that did seeemed to be happy. Was pleasantly suprised on our second night there were 2 wedding receptions and I couldn't hear a thing. I got a discounted rate as I would never pay there normal rates as the workmanship in the rooms is not even good. Went to put my bag in the closet and the stand fell out when I put my suitcase on it. After closer inspection the closet was built crooked. Nice touch having a fridge and microwave in each room. Also very close to the mall so my daughter and I did some shopping.

Dear PeggyN198,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on tripadvisor.com and thank you for staying with us! It appears you experienced a few positive experiences like not hearing any noise from two weddings we had in house, enjoyed the refrigerator and microwave in the room and took advantage of the walking distance to the mall.
I'm sorry to hear and frankly embarrassed about the dust that came down when the fan was turned on, as far as the luggage rack it is meant to be hidden in the closest and placed in room with your luggage on it.

We welcome you to come enjoy our fire pit if purchasing just a cup of coffee or a glass a wine even if not staying in the hotel. We hope to have you as our guest in the future, I and rest of my staff sincerely appreciate your business!
Algona Iowa
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The staff were very nice ~we booked a suite and the room was very nice,we booked for 4 adults 1 teen and 1 child~ we got a king size bed, a sofa bed which is more of a twin and an extra roll away which is a single, so we were a little crowded, the 10 yr child had to sleep with mom and dad in the king size bed..I was expecting that they have more of a double size sofa bed for the suite price we paid,also in my opinion for the price of the suite they should have a complimentary breakfast. Other hotels offer them as amenities but not this one .My husband had to buy a cup coffee, the room have a one cup coffee pot. Have a small ref and microwave. So if you have children; in my personal opinion, this is not for them as they do not offer any amenities like breakfast.You have to buy it there. The pool and hot tub were great but while we're there the sounds of the people especially with the teens were very deafening. The pool was very noisy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Courtyard_Mankato901, General Manager at Courtyard Mankato, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Luming,

I was pleased to hear you thought my staff was very friendly and you liked the pool area. I apologize for the suite not living up to what you expected as far as amenities and as you know we don’t charge for roll-a-ways as many other hotels do.
All new Courtyard by Marriott's have the new Bistro concept which is food made to order the way you like it versus an all you can eat continental breakfast. As we have realized this concept is not for everyone so we offer special packages where breakfast can be included in the price of your room.

Please allow me to offer you a great room at a great price in the future by contacting me directly and to show you we care about our guest and want another chance to earn your business!

507-388-1234
Norwood Young America, MN
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Great check-in experience with Cassandra. Very clean property. We stayed in a suite, which we were very impressed with. Although we were worried, as there are not any pictures online of the pool area. We were pleasantly surprised to find a nice clean pool and hot tub area. All said and done, we will definitely stay at this property when in the area for an overnight. By the way, the Scheels sporting goods store across the lot within walking distance is phenomenal.
Only issue was sort of a rude front desk staff member when asked about a possible late check-out for the following morning. This was quickly resolved when I asked the other front desk staff that came out from the back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Stephen M
Dear Stephanie M,

I am so pleased you shared not only your positive experience at our Hotel but also took the time and effort to remember Cassondra’s name, she was so proud to see her name on tripadvisor! I do apologize for any attitude you were shown when asking for a late checkout and I spoke to the desk person and I confirmed a late checkout was allowed. I took this opportunity to train her how to do it with a Marriott smile next time!

Thanks again for your business and I can’t wait to have you as our Guest in the near future.

Take care,

Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here twice. The first time, we arrived at 9 p.m. and waited at the front desk for five minutes until the clerk showed up. We had to change rooms an hour later, b/c the teenagers across the hall were partying and smoking like chimneys (This hotel is notoriously under booked, and they try to compensate by having room "sales"). We had to change rooms again, later that night, b/c a heating unit on the roof of the hotel broke down and kept us up until 2 with a loud grinding noise. The front desk people were apologetic both times, but also seemed to be put out of place by our requests to change rooms.

Assuming our first visit was just "bad luck," we stayed here a second time while visiting family. It was much quieter, but the service was still terrible. No one is ever at the front desk or at the restaurant when you need them. Also, the clerk at the front desk said that she could only "upgrade" us from a room with two queens to a king, if we paid $5. Seriously? I guess "gold card status" as a Marriott member doesn't go very far at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Todd Michael H
Dear IowaPHD,

I want to take this opportunity to say thank you for sharing your comments with tripadvisor. I also appreciate that you gave our hotel two chances to earn your business and I feel terrible that we let you down. The experience you encountered is definitely not the norm here at our Hotel and it is certainly not the Marriott way, for this I apologize.

To address a few issues you had, one we are a brand new hotel and we did have a HVAC unit on the roof not working properly but we have this issue resolved. Our hotel is 100 % smoke free and we have had a few people try to smoke in the hotel and we have asked them to leave. I'm not sure the date of your stay but would like the opportunity to look into in further with more information. In regards to upgrades for suites our hotel has 5 suites in the entire hotel which are usually full by guest reservations but I apologize if my associate ask for $5.00 as we definitely value our Marriott Rewards members as our most loyal guest.

Please contact me directly at the Hotel for a chance to earn your business back with a discounted room rate or an upgrade to a suite.

Thanks again for your feedback and my promise is to try to improve our hotel & service for every guest in the future.

Kind regards,