Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mankato Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Mankato
Reviewed February 3, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel many times in the past, although it has been quite a few years since we have been there. We were a bit apprehensive this visit knowing the age of the hotel and how busy it always is; hotels can get run down and really show wear and tear. This couldn’t have been further from the truth! The lobby and all common areas were spotless and everything looked new. When we walked into our two-room suite, it not only smelled clean, it smelled new! We found out later that the hotel is being renovated and the third floor had just been finished. They have also upgraded their TV’s – we had two 32” flat panel HD TVs in the room.

We have stayed in many Country Inn & Suites, and this one is one of the best. The living room area of the suite was huge! We are planning a family fun weekend, and upon our return and glowing report of this location, we will be staying here.

The staff was very friendly. The front desk attendant, Mary Beth (if I remember her name correctly), was beyond helpful. There were some large groups, including a sports team staying that weekend, and the breakfast staff was terrific at keeping up with the teenage boys. Everything was very well stocked and she kept everything constantly wiped down and clean.

The only thing, and it's small, is we had a hard time finding a comfortable temperature. It was either too warm or too cool. However, on the plus side, the room has a ventilation fan (very quiet) that moves the air into the living room area to keep it comfortable. The living room also has a ceiling fan, which was greatly appreciated!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mankato Hotel and Conference Center

Reviewed January 27, 2010

We stayed here due to bad weather and were pleasantly surprised. There were extra pillows (firmer ones) above the closet and cotton blankets in case the down was too heavy. Simple things like small bottled waters, tea and little extras were everywhere. Much thought put into our stay. The pool was warm and we loved it (it was a quiet weekend, no one else in the pool). Cable TV channel selection was great and the hotel was very quiet (they have a policy for this). Breakfast had quite a few different selections, and more healthy items were offered than I have seen in most hotels, and of course, make your own waffles are always a treat! I travel quite a bit and stay at many Country Inns, but this one took the extra time to do little things that made it feel more like home. We also did Happy Hour on a Friday night at TGI Friday's right next door. The food was really good, drinks were great and many different selections on the menu. (We have been to other Friday's so we were pleasantly surprised by the food) The hotel staff went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and with hot chocolate and cookies available all night long, how can you go wrong!?

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2009

I've stayed at a couple Country Inn & Suites in the past and I've always thought they seemed okay. We were attending the Vikings Football Camp and decided that we would try out a hotel we never stayed at before. I was able to get a good rate at the Country Inn.

We were pleasantly surprised at this hotel. Upon walking into the lobby, there is a couch area with complimentary cookies and candy. Further off to the left is the spacious breakfast buffet area that has complimentary fruit available throughout the day. I thought the lobby area was welcoming.

Our room was nicely decorated with ample space. There was a table and chair area next to the one wall and a couch on the opposite side. I did not feel that the couch was very comfortable, but it's not like we were entertaining anyone other than ourselves. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. The bathroom area was also spacious, however the sink was located inside of the bathroom. This can be a drawback when you have more than one person sharing a room when it's time to get ready in the morning. The bathroom also did not come equiped with a fan. I'd have to say that there was a drawback, our bathtub had hair in it. Not just one or two pieces either, but about 10 strands. I have advised the hotel of this and they did make things right.

The breakfast buffet had one of the best offerings for a hotel of this quality. There was a variety of hot items as well as cold items. They also had a great selection of healthier food choices. We were both very pleased that we didn't need to head elsewhere to get a wholesome breakfast.

There is a TGI Fridays connected to the hotel and I was surprised that the hotel didn't offer any sort of discounts for eating there. Another drawback is upon leaving the hotel, you are not able to make a right hand turn. You must drive about half a block away, turn onto another street so you can eventually make a U-Turn. Obviously not the hotel's fault, but just a nuisence to consider.

Overall, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Sdleth, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mankato Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2009

sweetnesspalace,

Thank you for posting a review in response to your stay. Its always nice to hear about our guests experience at our property!

We look forward to seeing you next year when the Vikings are in town again.

Thanks again for your review and for staying with us.

Reviewed June 26, 2009

The hotel is considered to be one of the nicer hotels available in the Mankato, Minnesota area. It is located a considerable distance from central and Old Town Mankato, but Old Town Mankato is rundown anyway. The hotel is located very close shopping like Target and Kohl's as well as restaurants like Taco Jack and TGI Friday's.

The service at this hotel is minimal. Housekeeping is offered at limited hours and there are very few people managing the hotel. The hotel website is misleading when it says that there is room service available from the on-site TGI Friday's restaurant, because only-pick-up is available and only during the restaurants operational hours. The staff that is here is respectful and courteous.

The rooms are very dated and look like nothing has been done in at least 20 years. The air conditioning in our room was difficult to operate (being either to cold or too hot). The curtains weren't very functional (either allowing too much or too little light). The matresses were not good, but felt rather new. The sheets were clean as was the carpeting and furniture. We were disappointed when we came into our room for the first time to find the A/C off with 100 degree weather and the refrigerator off with the door open. The microwave was difficult to operate at first.

The location was not convenient. Luckily we had a rental vehicle otherwise we would have had a very difficult time getting around Mankato, because this hotel is very far away from the main parts of town. The amenities at the hotel again were minimal. There was a very good breakfast area just off the lobby which offered many prepare-yourself selections. Unfortunately many older people take advantage of the seating area and will take up many tables later in the morning. There is a small pool that few guests, aside from kids use.

I liked the value $74/night the most. I also appreciated the cleanliness. Most of the property and the room were very clean. The room was average. I was disappointed overall with the service (lied about room service). I was also disappointed with the location.

I personally would recommend this hotel for someone travelling on a budget for an overnight stay. I also would recommend taking a look at the Hilton Garden Inn right in Downtown Mankato, because it is brand new and has nicer rooms, but is more expensive. I would not recommend Mankato for a vacation unless you are considering skiing at Mount Kato.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business

Destoria,

Thank you for staying with us.

Reviewed January 16, 2009

I was in mankato to do some shopping and thought this place would be a good place to stay at because it was near the mall and it looked nice. Little did I know. The place was expensive at least much more expensive than the other hotels in mankato. I could have spent half the price and gotten as much service at any of the other places. The front desk employee was rude and uncooperative and the housekeeping didn't properly clean the room after the previous person stayed in it. I found hair in the bathroom and the toilet was urine stained. There was ash on the floor near the window as though someone tried to smoke out the window (the room was non-smoking). On top of all this the room was not insultated properly and I could hear every footstep outside my door. I would not recommend this place to anyone simply because it was not worth the money I paid.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review regarding your stay with us. On behalf of the Country Inn & Suites, I would like to apologize for the concerns you had regarding your stay, and hope that when you do your shopping in the area again that you give us another try!

Thank you again for your review, and for staying with us.

Reviewed August 29, 2008

I appreciate automatic doors from the parking lot into the lobby, and this hotel has that, along with being attractive and well kept. The microwave and silent refrigerator (but why was it turned off and the door ajar?) in the room were great, and as a GoldPoints member I had extra treats of kettle corn, granola bars and water bottles in my room. I appreciated the personalized note in the room thanking me for "popping" in to stay there. It seemed like we were the only guests on the top floor.

Another surprise were the bathroom amenities you never see at this level of hotel - mouthwash, cotton swabs, cotton balls, a saturated towelette for removing eye makeup and dental floss. The box springs looked old but the mattress was comfortable. They were out of cheese omelets but also had hard-boiled eggs at breakfast, and they had small containers of cottage cheese but mine was frozen. I told the breakfast attendant and she promptly replaced the tray. Pick up the menu at the front desk for the adjacent TGI Friday's, call your order in and bring it back to your room. Very helpful and friendly front desk staff - a great stay.

Stayed: August 2008

ksheff-travel,

I am glad you were able to experience all the wonderful things our property has to offer from the extra amenities in the bathroom to the TGI Fridays attached.

We look forward to seeing you again if your travels bring you back to Mankato.

Reviewed May 15, 2008

Me and my girlfriend stayed at Country Inn & Suites in Mankato for a little weekend relaxation. we decided to get the Jacuzzi Suite. I'm not sure I could regret choosing this Hotel anymore then I already do. The kid behind the desk, I say kid because he looked and acted about 14, he was very unsure of what he was doing therefore making me feel uncomfortable right away. the room was smaller then expected. the Jacuzzi tub was a huge disappointment, it was so small me and my girlfriend could hardly fit in the tub together. I'm 6 ft 175 lbs she's 5'1 like 115 lbs. the noise in the hallway from kids running back and forth was unnerving at best. the only positive thing we took away from there was their breakfast aws very good(or possibly I was so happy to be leaving) regardless, I would not recommend going to this location at all.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

shae161,

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a review regarding your stay with us. On behalf of Country Inn and Suites, I would like to apologize for your stay.

Thank you again for your review, and I am very sorry for the experience you had with us.