“New management team has drastically improved MBL in 2009”

Manhattan Beach Lodge
Minneapolis
“New management team has drastically improved MBL in 2009”
Reviewed July 21, 2009

We began our relationship with Manhattan Beach Lodge (MBL) in 2007 when we made a deposit to have our fall 2008 wedding there. At the time of the deposit, MBL was under the ownership and management of a husband and wife team. Although our communication was minimal in 2007, we were happy with the service being provided. As we entered the spring of 2008, our wedding plans kicked in and we began regular communication with MBL and were informed that ownership and management had changed. This began a period of very disappointing service. Phone calls were not returned and nobody seemed to be in charge of the actual coordination of our fall wedding. For weeks we asked for assistance and communication and received excuses and pass the blame. After several disappointments, my fiancee's father finally felt the need to contact the investment team who owned MBL because we feared that our wedding, which was only a few weeks away, was in danger of being a complete failure. We do not know what went on behind the scenes, but we assume we were one of many complaints made during the spring and summer of 2008 that led to a drastic change in management than began in the fall. Just a matter of days before the wedding, the management team from the Whitefish Lodge and Suites took over our wedding and provided an absolutely perfect wedding weekend at the Lodge. Our ceremony and reception were held at MBL and our guests also stayed in building for the entire weekend. The event coordinators from Whitefish Lodge and Suites were amazing and provided the highest level of service in the few days leading up to the wedding and exceeded our every expectation. It is our understanding that the Whitefish Lodge and Suites team in now operating the Manhattan Beach Lodge on all levels and doing a superb job. We visited MBL just a couple of weeks ago and observed a clean and well maintained building, a friendly and courteous staff, and a continued drastic improvement on every thing that 2008 provided. Before taking the other 2008 reviews to heart for MBL, please visit the reviews for Whitefish Lodge and Suites. You will see that the Whitefish team does an outstanding job and undoubtedly will provide this same level of service at MBL. We will be forever grateful to the new management team for providing our 150+ guests with a memorable weekend at the Manhattan Beach Lodge.

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank Upnorthwed

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Mpls, Mn.
Reviewed July 3, 2009

My salmon was good, but we never was bought any condiments or butter, sour cream, bread, potatoes were cold before they came with any. The manager was not very helpful.
I feel they need to train their staff better. Was a pretty place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Manhattan Beach hotels

Mpls, MN
Reviewed June 4, 2009

Had an occasion to dine at the restaurant at Manhattan Beach Resort! OMG what a great meal. The calamari and shrimp appetizer was superb, not too much breading and good quality squid and shrimp. I thought I'd be adventurous and order the Ahi Tuna- seared rare. It was fabulous. My wife had the walleye, also excellent! Good wine selection too. The new management and staff are learning quickly and customer service has taken huge leaps towards the "excellent" side of the scale. Someone is doing a great job of training! Much improved from last year. A "must" stop for dinner if you are in the area or staying at the resort. Next time I'll get a room!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
minnesota
Reviewed October 3, 2008

Mt husband and I needed a break and our German Shorthair dog needed to learn about hunting. We arrived at Manhatten Beach around 3:00 in the afternoon and the room we were given was wonderful. The weather was great and it was beautiful looking out at the water. We went to the Retaurant and had the Prime Rib Special Prime Ribs. IT WAS OUTSTANDING. WE HAVE NEVER HAD A PRIME RIB DINNER THAT GOOD. My husband got up early and took Jack hunting, while I stayed and relaxed and had the buffet breakfast. It was a very relaxing break and I hope we can do it again soon. If you need a getaway for a day or tow I highly suggest you stay at Manhatten Beach. Joe and Roxanne Shun

• Liked — relaxing and the wonderful dinner
  • Disliked — nothing,I loved everything
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lino Lakes, MN
Reviewed August 25, 2008

Our room on the first floor had stained carpet, the walls are marked up, and the blinds were broken. Also the water was yellow and smelled and tasted horrible. The person at the front desk when we checked out said they have a rust problem which makes the water that way.
The lawn out back was covered with lawn toys left out for three days and there was a giant hole in the ground that someone easily could have not seen and fell into. There was a food cart parked by the back of the hotel for 3 days with old moldy buns on it. We never saw any employees cleaning up anything or picking up the property.
The outdoor patio was covered in dirt and there was garbage littered around it in the landscaping. Empty drinks and bottles were sitting around the property as well.
The Sunday brunch had a poor selection of items, most of them were gone and we had to wait for to refills.

The good thing about this property is the location. The lake is beautiful and the sunsets are awesome. Also they have new tv's in the rooms with a nice selection of channels.
And the bloody mary bar at brunch is very good.

I stayed at this hotel with my parents who had been there every year for 10 years. They are considering not ever going back after this year. I would expect this type of hotel that charges $150+ per night to have WAY better standards. If they are not going to keep up the place then they need to lower the rates.

• Liked — The Lake
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything else
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Minnesota
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We've stayed at this resort on two other occasions, but this is the first time since the new management took over.

There is nothing that even remotely passes for customer service at this lodge. And it is not a cheap place to stay.

The front desk person had zero personality. She did not welcome us when we arrived; gave us bad information about the continental breakfast (said it was every day but Sunday, but there is no breakfast on Mondays); couldn't find the reservation book when we wanted to reserve a table for Sunday dinner (then asked us to come back instead of taking the information and putting it in the book later).

Our room had a broken toilet seat lid, which just came off in my hands the first time I lifted it. The room only had one glass and three styrofoam cups for our entire 3-night stay. These were never replaced. A white bag trash full of bottles and cups was at the foot of our deck when we arrived on Friday, and it was still there when we left on Monday. Obviously no one is walking the property at least once a day to look for unsafe or unsavory things (lots of cigaret butts in the grass, empty glass bottles and plastic cups on the lakeside deck "the morning after").

The call from my room to the "restaurant" button on my phone, after 20 rings, was answered "kitchen". The person who answered did not know when the Sunday brunch began and had to check with someone "9:30 <click>".

As the final insult, no one was at the front desk when we checked out at 7:50am. The phone marked "call x203 for help" had no dialtone until I jiggled the cord. 2 phone calls with 35 rings each brought no response. Finally we just left.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Ames, IA
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I recently visited Manhattan Beach over the July 4th weekend. I have been there many times before by boat for dinner and drinks and the service was ok. I figured with a big holiday weekend the lodge would be better prepared for the number of people and would have specials for guests, etc. Tim Mahoney was playing that evening and we arrived early for dinner and drinks. We walked into the bar area at 8:30 and did not get any service for a half hour, not one person approached us. After that time we finally walked up to the bar to order drinks and some appetizers for dinner and were told the kitchen closed at 9pm and the drinks were $6.00 for a small house margarita. I could not believe the kitchen closed at 9pm on a holiday weekend and we never had a waiter/waitress help us the entire night. We had to go to the bar for drinks and were then told after being there for an hour and a half that we had to either pay $10 to stay at the bar since Tim Mahoney was playing or leave. That was extremely tacky since we were there before the band even showed up. The lodge is VERY unprofessional, the service is terrible and my family who has gone there for years will never return. I cannot imagine how guests feel at this place. Another side note, every glass of wine we received was FILTHY. There was lipstick still on the glass when served and we saw the bartender go through six glasses before one was clean. Completely disgusting...

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Good Ol' Days Family Resort
Boyd Lodge
Boyd Lodge
#2 of 4 in Crosslake

Been to Manhattan Beach Lodge? Share your experiences!