“Another Great Stay at the Shooting Star”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mahnomen
Shooting Star Casino & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mahnomen
Winnipeg, Manitoba
“Another Great Stay at the Shooting Star”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Checked in for a one night stay on the start of a two week trip in the US. Have stayed at this hotel several times before. We prefer to stay in the Stardust wing, as we find it more modern, cleaner, overall better value for your dollar. It is a bit longer to walk to the casino, but definitely worth is, as the price is the same as if you stay in the main hotel. Walk is all indoors. We are Star Club Members (free to sign up online), therefore get the member rate of $60 weekday night. Also as part of the star club, you get regular mail outs with coupons for casino and dining and upcoming event information. Special offers during your birthday and anniversary months (since it was our anniversary month, we each got a $10 dining credit and $5 gaming credit) Upon check in front desk staff very friendly and accommodating. Free coffee in room and free pop and coffee throughout the hotel and casino is also a nice bonus. Large and deep pool, with hot tub and wading pool is also a great bonus in this hotel. Looking forward to coming back to see Maroon 5 play here in October!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed August 30, 2010

August 2010 - For years we had gone on weekend trips to the Shooting Star about every 6 months. At one time you got great value for your money: the rooms were clean and attractive, there was great service, the food was good, the lounge was attractive and drinks were reasonably priced and they had nickel machines we liked to play: double diamonds and sevens. But as it started going downhill, so too did our trips; to once a year and recently a year and a half before our visit this month. Since we were winding down from a 12-day trip across the U.S., we thought we'd try it again as it was on our way home. On our visit 1 & 1/2 years ago, we arrived to find that they didn't have the 'double diamond' nickel machines and now on this visit we arrived to find that they also didn't have the 'seven' nickel machines. Instead, they are all the picture machines with several buttons on them, which don't appeal to us at all. In addition, the service was atrocious. Hubby went to Whispering Winds to order 2 sandwiches for take out and ended up arguing for 20 minutes with the waitress about the cost - too lengthy to go into, but the whole thing was ridiculous. When I returned to ask if I could get some vinegar and ketchup, I was simply told "no". I replied "what do you mean no?, I just placed an order", whereupon the 2 waitresses stated they didn't have any. Again, I replied "what do you mean you don't have any, I get it here all the time?". At that point a gentleman came out of the kitchen and got me the vinegar, and one of the 2 waitresses reached under the counter and gave me the ketchup packets. Now how ridiculous is that?? Needless to say, we won't be back, as there is no reason (machine wise) to go back now, and we will most definitely spread the word to family and friends. Terrible.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank albertaroadtripper

Travelers are raving about these Mahnomen hotels

canada
Reviewed August 16, 2010

I think most people only post reviews if they are angry about part of their trip and more should post positive also.

the rooms were clean and bright. we ate at whispering winds 3 times and had the best clubhouse sandwich we ever tasted. later in evening we had a shrimp dinner and hot beef sandwich and in morning we had bacon and eggs for breakfast and everything was great. staff were very polite and service was good.

our only complaint was the slots were terribly tight. we expect to lose but we had no fun when you put in 20 after 20 and get next to no wins whatsoever.

we have been to vegas many times and our worst days were way better than at shooting star.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gerard48
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I'm aware that all hotels have patrons that become drunk and unruly. What the hotel does about it is a reflection on them. My wife and I were jolted out of bed by a drunk trying to kick our door in. A call to the front desk was ignored, after 3-4 minutes the drunk wandered away or so I thought. I went to the front desk to ask why security did not respond and I saw the idiot still stumbling in the hallway. I asked the concierge if she knew that a drunk was trying to kick in hotel doors and she said no and rushed to confront the drunk. The security finally arrived and managed to get him in his room. I asked the security guard if they were going to do anything about it and he said that the guy has a room so we try to get them to stay there till they sober up. Apparently they had reports about this idiot throughout the evening. Sending him to his room obviously didn't work. We are a couple in our early 40's and this idiot had us scared. The cursing and the swearing along with the threats absolutely ruined our stay. I can't imagine what an elderly couple would have done. They would have been scared to death. Since it is a casino, I imagine that a lot of elderly couples do stay there. We were prepared to check out after that incident but because of a local festival there were no other rooms available anywhere and we had one day left on our festival tickets. The next morning when we checked out we complained about the incident and they offered us a $10 discount for the inconvenience. The lead (I guess it means a wannabe manager) even had the audacity to blame the festival because "it creates the drunks". We were more concerned with why the security did not show up and she told us that we were wrong. I recall seeing the drunken idiot but not the lead so I'm not sure how she knew the security was there. In fact I was quite sure that I was the one who had to physically get the concierge and only then did the security arrive. It's one thing when they ignore a complaint, it's another when they call you a liar to your face.

Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank perturbed155017
Minnesota
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Nothing for your family to do unless you are with them 100% of the time if they are under 18 yrs old. Rules are anyone under 18 yrs of age leaves the room to the Pool or Arcade a adult must be with them. No day care if you have younger children, (closed some years ago). Not a place to take your family for a weekend or vacation. So if you have children under 18 yrs old, don't go to the Shooting Star Casino and Event Center in Mahnomen, MN.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Fargo, ND
Reviewed April 10, 2010

We had a smoke-free room, but it still reeked like smoke. Additionally, there were cigarette burns in the carpet and even on the bathtub. The linens and pillows should also be upgraded. For the price of the suite ($120 USD), I expected better.

The sound of slamming hotel doors woke us very early. It would be a good idea to install controls on each of the room doors to prevent this problem.

In general, I thought the casino floor was clean and in good repair, but cocktail service was nonexistent at slot machines. Staff in the hotel, restaurant and casino needs a class in customer service. Instead of feeling welcome, I felt like an inconvenience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank oxbow_gal
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Reviewed March 29, 2010

We stayed at The Shooting Star Casino for one night and we were thoroughly disappointed. The room was disgusting...the carpet was old, stained and dirty. The upholstered chair in the room was beyond gross...the armrests were black with dirt and grease. The front desk person was completely uninterested in our complaint. Except for the staff at Player Relations, most of the other hotel staff were unfriendly and did not make us feel welcome. We were looking forward to our stay at Shooting Star Casino..but we will definitely never be going back. The slot machines were the worst paying machines we have ever come across. You would think the folks running Shooting Star Casino would use all of their profits to upgrade their rooms. If you value your health and your money, stay away from The Shooting Star Casino.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sebbers

Been to Shooting Star Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!