“What a great hotel”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mahnomen
Shooting Star Casino & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mahnomen
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We went to the Shooting Star Hotel & Casino in August and were surprised at what a large property it was. We had read some of the unsatisfactory reviews so were a little leery of what we'd find. We were greeted by friendly, helpful staff. The hotel was beautiful and very clean. Our room in the Stardust bldg was spacious with 2 beds, non smoking. We were next to the walkway to the main bldg. We had the lunch and the supper buffets & found them to be excellent in quality & price. The band was good... Our only complaint was that the slots weren't in our favor that night. Overall, a great experience!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Shirley C

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We've been to this casino a few times over the years. This trip was similar to most. We had the $30 mid-week room special and were happy with the room and the bed. The room was clean and the bed was small (twin) but comfortable.
My brother and I went for a late supper on our arrival night. The waiter was very friendly, took our order and said he was going on his break and pointed out the girl taking over for him. We had a lot to talk about and weren't in a hurry so didn't complain that they were very slow delivering our meal. We joked that the original waiter would be back before we got our order and that's what happened. When he found out he immediately got our orders which came out hot. He apologized and offered us each a free drink. They later came by to say there would be no charge for the meal. It was nice not to have to be the squeeky wheel and complain to be compensated for their mistake.
Our only complaint was loud neighbours in the middle of the night who seemed to have friends drop by for a visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Gerald L
Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Dismissive, curt, unfriendly, not helpful, the check-in experience was beyond comprehension!!! Do they always ignore white people?? Or just ALL people? The room walls, floor and ceiling are far from soundproof. NOT worth $109. After the checkin, I am hesitant about staying here at all. Do they spit on your sheets??

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Lynn A
Reviewed June 28, 2013

The hotel is pretty nice. It has a wonderful gift shop with many Native American items. My room was clean and quiet. I missed the rush when I checked in and out, but I walked by later and saw huge lines for those things. The buffet was average. We were on the third floor, and we took the elevator up. We got off, turned to the left, and then had to go down a flight of stairs. We had a hard time with our luggage.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kim S
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I cannot think of anything positive to say about this casino. I have been to every casino in MN and many in other states and I don't think I have witnessed this poor of a product anywhere. There buffet is absolutely horrible. I have seen many buffets better priced half as cheap. Rooms stink and make noises from the appliances. These rooms are not cheap either. $100 per night, you can get the same rates or cheaper right down the road in Detroit Lakes or further North in Crookston. I have to do business there and will stay in Detroit Lakes in the future. I highly recommend going else where for your lodging. If you like to gamble, they have about 8 blackjack tables (half operating) and a floor of slots. very pathetic.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Purplemania56
Reviewed May 28, 2013

the front desk was very overworked, Mothers Day weekend, but its still no excuse for being unfriendly or non caring. The rooms are average, not dirty but not sparkling clean. Non smoking room that might as well been a smoking room, the previous people had smoked in the room, and the hallways smell of smoke, the price without a discount would have been not worth the effort.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank j p
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We've been going to the Shooting Star Casino regularly since 2002.
The place is getting run down, though they do seem to be making an effort to upgrade.
The casino is smoky beyond belief, be prepared to flee to the (much quieter) non-smoking section if you need a break from the smoke.
The staff are hit and miss. On our last visit, in April of 2013, we had the RUDEST check-in clerk we've ever had, anywhere. She made no effort whatsoever to hide her disdain for both her job and guests.
The other staff, particularly housekeeping staff, were great. Perhaps becuase they don't have as much interaction with the public they haven't become as jaded? Who knows.
The deli staff can be somewhat curt, the servers in the Whispering Winds are, for the most part, awesome!
I've been to this place enough to know which of the Star Rewards staff and cashiers are rude, so I know what to expect when I'm dealing with them.
The Mustang Lounge bartenders and servers are hit-and-miss as well. Some friendly, some not.
The drinks prices have been creeping up the last little while, which is funny...you'd think they'd be more than happy to cloud your judgement, especially in a casino.
The lounge, however, can be a ton of fun during Vikings games!
The rooms are your basic, run-of-the-mill hotel room, nothing special, just somewhere to place your head after a long night of losing money. The walls however, are PAPER THIN! You will hear everything, and I do mean "everything", in adjoining rooms!
We try to stay on the corner rooms on the 4th floor, away from everyone. The floors don't have any insulation in them either, so if you are not on the top floor, you will swear you have a T-Rex stomping in the room above you, when in fact its probably a 10yr old kid.
Also, there is a train line running along the west side of the hotel, so if you are facing that way, you're gonna hear it loud and clear.
So if you're looking for a 5 star resort and are expecting to be pampered and spoiled..forget it.
If you're looking for a cheap place to stay for a couple of days of fun...then this will do.
Keep your expectaions low and you will be satisfied!

Room Tip: Top floor is quieter, face away from train tracks!