“So-so”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Mahnomen
Shooting Star Casino & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mahnomen
Tucson
“So-so”
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We checked out the buffet for lunch time. It really did not look horrible to us: pulled pork, fried fish, chicken, and a couple of other entrees; typical salad selection for a small buffet, a small selection of desserts. The food appeared fresh and was not unappealing. For $9.50 it was a so-so value. We chose to get the 2-for$20 8 oz. ribeye dinner at the other restaurant. It was, well, about what I would label a "$10 ribeye." Thin, seasoned nicely, cooked right, but chewy. Definitely not prime meat. A baked potato and typical corn, no salad, and one breadstick accompanied it. We wouldn't return to eat at this casino. Not the worst we have experienced by any means (that honor goes to one in southern South Dakota as well as one in Laughlin, Nevada, where the food simply was not good in any sense.)

The service? Mostly curt and efficient with the exception of one frriendly hostess at the restaurant. Don't expect cuddles here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank flipTucson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Sauk Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Over the weekend, my family decided to take a roadtrip. My cousin was getting married in Moorhead, MN that Saturday, so we decided to head to Shooting Star for a bit of gambling fun. We arrived at about 4:30pm. We received two rooms right next to each other. This was convenient for us, since there were conjoining doors so that we didn't have to go into the hallway to visit each other.
My mom was pleasantly surprised with the condition of the rooms. There was no smokey smell whatsoever, and she said the beds were great. I enjoyed the beds too, however, I found the pillows to be horrible. Most of us got a good night's rest. My dad complained about the noise from neighbors and didn't enjoy the bed. The rest of us slept just fine.
The casino floor was just like any other casino I'd been to. A strong smell of smoke, and tons of sirens going off. Each of us went our separate ways for a couple of hours.
When we got hungry, we went to the buffet. By then it was about 7:00pm. There were five of us in the group, and it totalled almost 90 dollars for the steak and shrimp dinner. My mom almost died. Needless to say, each of us ate more than our fill of food, just to feel like we got our moneys worth. I very much enjoyed all the food. My steak was very small though. About the size of a saucer. When my parents had gone up to get their steaks, they were told they would have to wait, because the guy cooking steaks had to go back and cut some more. Why they didn't have someone back in the kitchen cutting the meat is beyond me. My mom and dad didn't get to go order their steaks until they were almost done with their meal, and by then were just about full. They did enjoy their steaks when they received them.
For breakfast, it cost about 40 dollars, which my mom found more reasonable. Breakfast was delicious as well. Service was a little lacking, again, but I had taken no notice because it didn't bother me that our drinks were slow. I drank my chocolate milk slow to begin with.
I can't say that I would go here again, but at least I can say I was there.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank OlieMarie
Escondido, California
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Save your money and go to Las Vegas. Do not go here. This is not what a hotel casino should be, by any stretch of the imagination. Service is dismal at best, food is gross. The owners need to hire a professional operator. Actually, this place should be closed for good.

Room Tip: No suggestions
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank StevenA32358

Travelers are raving about these Mahnomen hotels

Reviewed June 23, 2012

A friend and I spent one night in the Shooting Star Hotel on June 18. When I registered I stated that my friend has mobility issues and is in a wheelchair and if possible could we have a room with a walk-in shower. On arrival at the hotel there was a twenty minute wait in line to register with only three people working at the desk; all of which were very slow and overly methodical. A room with a walk-in shower wasn't available but they said they could arrange to have a portable shower brought to our room. I have no clue what that is, we declined. We were assigned a room second from the end of the long hallway in the Main Lodge so it was a struggle for my friend in a wheelchair to get back and forth to the room. We should have been assigned a room closer to the lobby so it wasn't so hard to wheel on the carpeting. Those were the only problems we had which weren't really problems. The staff was friendly and the serving staff in the Whispering Winds Restaurant was friendly, jovial and willing to make our stay enjoyable.
The room was clean and comfortable. The beds were not as firm as I'd like with a dip in the one I had but comfortable. Our room had a balcony and since it was a hot day we kept the screen door open at night because the air conditioner wasn't very efficient at keeping the room cool. There is a lot of renovations and construction going on in the main lobby and it will be nice when it's finished. This hotel is growing and new additions have been added on since my last visit. It's a very nice place for a short getaway. Our room was $109 per night but when we registered the clerk said he'd give us the spring promotion price so our bill with taxes came to $87. That was great as I won enough to pay for our meals and the hotel room for the one night. It was a short visit and though I've been here about six times before it's always fun to come back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Traveller200247
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I have been going to this casino for the past 10 yrs and it has completely gone down hill. Let's start with what they call food.....we ate in the restaurant and ordered burgers they are now frozen and tasteless.....then we ate at the buffet i can't even say the salad was good i used to look forward to the buffet, the day we ate there it was turkey,salmon and a mixture of foods that not only do not go together but tasted horrible. OK so i am looking forward to the pizza in the new deli restaurant they have opened. Well when they took the pizza out of the oven i'm surprised the smoke alarms didn't go off due to the amount of smoke that came out of oven and not from burning the pizza but from the grease in oven,.I could not eat my pizza not only from the stench of the smoke but from the taste and when i told the staff they replied" yeah we need to clean our ovens" they clearly do not care. As for the rooms they are clean comfy but walls are paper thing, at 3 am the couple on one side of us were having a heated argument because the wife brought his sandwich with onions yup and they argued for over an hour calling name oh excuse me HE yelled and ranted then the yahoo's on the other side of our room came in at 3am and were drinking and partying till 6am....yes we called security who came twice and the guys were quiet till we just barely fell asleep and then started up again and honestly they weren't playing music or out of control just talking loud like drunks do etc but with the walls so thin it was like they were in our room. The management really needs to get a handle on customer service from the restaurants (staff don't give a sh....) and dealing with customer complaints.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank canadianbyrd
Reviewed May 31, 2012

The shooting star casino and hotel is now 20 years old and starting to show its age in the rooms. My wife and I recently stayed there to meet up with some friends. The hotel offers the main lodge and Stardust which is connected via a sky walk. Do not expect high end ammenties but a place to sleep while gaming. The hotel has a large pool with extended hours. The dining options include a sit down restraunt, deli and buffet. The buffet area recently has been remodeled. One advantage of gaming here is the bar which allows for a break from casino to watch entertainment and have a beverage.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-smoking room as the casino allows smoking and the fresh air is nice break.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BobbyO4
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I go to the casino every now and then. I used to love the buffet but now its just plain ridiculous. Food and service during the morning is terrible. The past couple times i was there i have asked to see the manager but was told she was on vacation by one of the servers and this was within a few months time. However, Service during dinner was great. The place was clean and the food was hot and not undercooked. The thing i didnt like was the silverware being rolled in an ugly green cloth and the knives had stains on them. The bar is another stupid idea because the mustang lounge is 20 feet away. But the drink servers were really good at their jobs. I had a young man serving my table when i came with my sisters and he was really nice and respectful but seemed a little over worked. What i wonder is, where was the manager?.. the one person who is supposed to make sure everything is running smoothly and playing a part in guest service was ON VACATION.. while the servers are running there butts off to get the job done.. it wasnt the best dining experience but i did meet some wonderful people.

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank onemadindian

Been to Shooting Star Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!