“Old School Vegas up North”

Shooting Star Casino
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Mahnomen
Thief River Falls
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Old School Vegas up North”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Love this place--reminds of "downtown" Vegas. The band above the bar, clean bathrooms, pretty dang good buffet and friendly service. These guys have it going way up here in the Northwoods.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank 2017bigshooter

Grand Forks, North Dakota
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Group Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went to the casino on a group trip. Lots of different choices at the casino. Live music was good too.

1 Thank perk56
kenora
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“gambling was fun”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Had to plead for a room even though I had tickets on friday and tried to get a room by phoning several times with no luck. ate at 2 for 8 Its was good. Restaurant wsa good too but buffet nees a new menu.Always the same.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank PatN554
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 240 helpful votes
“Fair casino, good comps to regular gamblers”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

I have been to this casino numerous times and I find that it is fair and that you can win, which I can't say about other area casinos.

I am a member of their slot club, which is free to join, and while I am not a big time gambler, I always get a mailer every month or so with offers, including free slot play, discounted hotel rooms and meals. On my most recent visit, I was even given a blanket as a birthday present!

The casino has over 1100 slot and video poker machines, as well as a poker room for those hard core gamblers. It also has a fairly large non-smoking section with its own separate entrance, so if you have difficulty with smoke, they can accommodate you. However, the non-smoking section has older games and no video poker machines, but the atmosphere is nice and quiet.

While they have two areas where you can get free drinks (coffee and soda), they also have staff that come around every once in a while to offer drinks where you are gambling.

Overall, I have always liked gambling at the Shooting Star Casino, as I find the machines are fair, and that's all anyone can ask for.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank macmaroon
Sprague
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“still sick since December 2012”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

We went to the Shooting Star casino for 2 nights inlate December this year.

Another couple with us both got sick a day after they arrived with flu symptoms.
I have been ill with headaches ringing ears weakness and feeling rotten for 6 weeks already.
I have had all kinds of blood tests but the can't find out what is wrong.Has this happened to anyone else that stayed there in late December?
KC from Canada.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Karen C

Been to Shooting Star Casino? Share your experiences!