“A gem in Mykonos”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Elia
Ottawa, Canada
“A gem in Mykonos”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We began our 12-day journey of the Cyclades in Mykonos, and stayed at this fabulous 5-star resort and spa! Our room had an incredible view of the Aegean Sea and the private beach below. The room was amazing, with a huge king-sized bed; balcony (ours was small, but others were larger...); large bathroom with tub; beautifully decorated, just stunning!

The private beach was amazing. We toured most of the island and visited several other beaches, but agreed that Elia beach is by far the nicest.

The staff were really very professional, and gave us great service.

The breakfast: It was the most complete of any resort or villa we stayed at on four different islands. HOWEVER, the hot food left a lot to be desired. We discovered that the Greeks simply don't know how to prepare eggs North American style. This resorts' hot buffet consisted of scrambled, 'fried' and 'omelette'. They 'fry' their eggs in water, and put them in a chafing dish, so you get these luke-warm eggs that are simply not appealing. EVERYTHING else on the buffet was amazing; such variety; the full Greek food thing with salad, stuffed grape leaves, meats, cheeses, even nuts and dried fruits. A real feast. The freshly squeezed orange juice was addicting. Coffee served any way you like, including cappucino or espresso; hot or freddo.

The pool was beautiful to look at, but the water was actually cooler than the ocean, so we never went in. The jacuzzi's in all the properties we stayed at are not hot; it's just the bubbling action that makes it different than the pool. Oh well; it was hot enough that you didn't need to get into a hot tub. At this property, it costs an additional 15 euros to use their indoor heated pool, as they say it's part of their spa....not really keen on that, but hey, whatever. The fitness room was very good; lots of equipment.

If you're looking for a very romantic place; views that you can only dream about; an amazing beach, and good service, try this resort. There are a few other high-end properties on Mykonos, but none with this beach and view.

Notes: The private beach is right next to a public beach. Nudity in Greece is very common, we found out. As you walk further down the beach, the clothing becomes more scarce. There is complete nudity on the extreme end of Elia Beach (as well as other beaches in Mykonos...). So, if you don't want to see 'junk', don't wander down the beach! Topless bathing is quite common in Europe, so you'll see that even on the private beach. A Greek citizen of the island told us that it's not the Greeks that go for the nudity; it's the tourists. Most I would say were from Germany....

Hotel Restaurant: Very good food; a nice atmosphere. Prices were remarkably reasonable.

Shuttle Bus: The resort offers complimentary transportation to and from Mykonos Town on a decent schedule. The evening bus (at least in September) picks up at either 10:30, midnight, or 1:00, and the last bus in is 8:00 p.m., so if you want to eat, you really need to take the 6:00 bus. It makes for a long evening if you aren't into the bar scene. Once you've walked Mykonos Town once or twice, you will grow tired of it and need to find a cafe or some other place to hang out for a while 'til the bus is ready to leave. The bus was ALWAYS on time; literally to the minute. Don't worry about the distance from town to the resort; it's well worth being at Royal Myconian!

Enjoy your stay; you'll love it!

1 Thank VACanuck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Just returned from a 12 tour of Mykonos and Santorini.
Our trip was made more special by the excellent service and staff at the Royal Myconian Resort at Elia Beach.
Thank you to all who made our stay that more enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Denver
Reviewed September 21, 2010

My husband, myself and two of my other friends stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. We were initially impressed when we walked in the main entrance but it went downhill from there. Initially the front desk informed us that the WIFI was down and they could not give us a time frame when this would be back up. Needless to say my husband had lots of business to do while we were there and not having WIFI access made it very difficult for him. The front desk would allow my husband to use the computer in the back office when no one else was back there. Let's just say that it was very inconvenient. The front desks solution was to have my husband walk down to the other hotel 'Imperial' to use the WIFI there at a cost of 5 Euros for 2 hours - again a rip off.

The only good thing about the room was the view. The beds are hard and the bathroom needs to be remodeled - very old and the grout between the titles were brown and nasty. The shower was not great either. As for the front desk the customer service was the worst I have ever seen. One of our friends was not feeling well so we decided to rent a DVD for him (again at a cost of 5 Euros) and have it sent up to the room. The DVD was ordered at 430pm and the DVD did not arrive to the room until 10pm. Finally, when the DVD was delivered to the room it did not work because something had been spilled on it so it would not play. The hotel said that they would try to bring another DVD the next day......are you kidding me?? Firstly it was delivered 5 1/2 hours later after it was ordered and then it would not work. The reason why we ordered the DVD was to watch it the same day and not a day later. Also when we were ordering the DVD with the front desk, the employee (he is dark complected and has facial hair – I could not be bothered to know any of their names, not worth my time) made a snide comment about my friend in Greek, something on the lines of ‘This guys girlfriend will not stop bothering me'. Little did he know my friend speaks Greek and understood everything these ignorant staff members were saying under their breathe.

The following day we asked if the hotel could help us with renting scooters....another staff member (slim, tall guy that has a long face – looks like a mouse) made another comment about how we must be idiots for going to the bottom of the hill to find a scooter rental place and then without saying excuse me picked up the phone in mid sentence while we were asking him to help us. Again this comment was made in Greek to another staff member. At that point I would have liked to address this rude behavior but I knew it would not make a difference if I were to say something. We then turned to the other lady behind the desk and she did assist us in getting us a scooter but it sure did take a long time again!

The following day I asked if I could obtain some information about Santorini. Seeming that such a nice hotel should be able to assist their guests to help plan trips to other islands. The front desk lady told me that if I need to obtain the schedule for the ferry then I should go to town and they can help me! Seriously....what are you doing in the service industry!!

It seemed like every time we would ask the front desk for assistance they acted like we were bothering them. If they hate their job so much then they should get out of the customer service industry. My husband and I own and manager hotels in the US and we know exactly what it entails to run a hotel and keep the guests happy.

Not to mention for what we paid for the room the service was the worst I have ever received and we have travelled all over the world. Not to mention we stayed in Istanbul the week prior for 7 days and paid half the price and the hotel we stayed at was superb and the service was spectacular. That was truly unexpected seeming that this hotel advertises how excellent they are.....totally false advertising.

Also the hotel is not near the town so if you need to go to town you will either need to take a taxi (18 Euros) or rent a car/scooter or take the shuttle bus. The shuttle bus leaves at 9am and you can’t come back until 3pm. If you miss the 9am shuttle bus then you won’t be able to go to town until the early evening around 6pm. Also the beach that is close by Elia beach is at the bottom of a very steep hill. If you are young and energetic then you won’t have a problem walking back up the hill but if not then good luck.

My friends that stayed next door stated that the maid failed to leave fresh towels for them and they were never given any type of soap to wash their hands. Luckily they brought one with them. Also the maid on a few occasions’ left used bottles of shampoo/conditioner and lotion - these were half full bottles. That is just disgusting!!!

One last thing the breakfast was good and had a lot to offer. But again the service staff was rude and acted as if we were bothering them. They never smiled and when you thanked them for anything they would just give you an uncomfortable stare.....you can say 'Your Welcome' once in a while it won't hurt.

The day we checked out we made sure that the front desk knew that we understood everything they said - all the snide comments. My friend walked up to the front desk and told the staff that she would like to check out in Greek. The guy that made the comment about the scooters just looked shocked and his demeanor changed completely.
I would never recommend this hotel to anyone regardless of the nice view. I can bet that there are many other hotels that would be able to provide better customer service and have just a similar kind of water front view.

It doesn't cost a thing to be nice!!! But the word 'nice' is not in their vocabulary. It's a shame because you would think that the economy is doing so bad that they would try to please their customers so that it would attract more visitors. I guess the hotel manager needs to reassess the hotel staff and figure out if the staff is helping or hurting the business. I can tell you this if any of them worked at our hotels in the US they would already be fired!! We thrive on customer service; therefore we try to provide the best to our guests.

3 Thank Saher
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 14, 2010

So to begin the review, please know that I use TripAdvisor EVERYTIME I book a hotel. I take these reviews to heart to ensure that I am not disappointed upon my arrival. So, when booking our trip to Greece, I found the reviews for this hotel to be completely accurate. The Royal Myconian is wonderful!! My husband and I stayed there for 4 nights for part of our honeymoon and couldn't have been happier. The staff is SO nice. They are welcoming and will do anything to make your stay more enjoyable. The grounds are insanely beautiful. The pool is gorgeous, and the beach is simply lovely. Since Elia is such a popular beach, it was such a HUGE perk to have a sections simply for hotel guests. You can order food, drinks, and be waited on hand and foot...it's awesome! I really like the location of the hotel as well. Mykonos town is a 15-20 minute bus ride from the Myconian. At first I was a little skeptical b/c we like to stay "where all the action" is. But, their shuttle is SO easy and the ride to town is SO quick and easy. You can come and go as you please...and return from the hustle and bustle to your lovely room. The breakfast buffet is wonderful AND the hotel restaurant overlooks the sea...we ate their TWICE b/c it was so great!! If there is any "bad" thing it would be that their beds are a bit hard. I feel weird even mentioning it b/c I would go back in a minute, but I love soft beds and these weren't. Would that ever stop me from staying there again...absolutely NOT! If their beds were maid of nails, I would still book as much time as possible at the Myconian. It's simply perfec!!

1 Thank Queeney17
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed September 9, 2010

It’s located 115 steps above the long and peaceful Elias beach. If you want to be closer to the beach the Imperial may be a better choice, but I believe the Royal has better views. At first we were given room 310, which had a terrible sideways view of the beach over many rooftops. We requested a room change and they graciously moved us to a room 211, which had a beautiful unobstructed view of the pool and ocean. Why stay so far from the action of Mykonos town if you can’t fully enjoy the beauty a more remote location has to offer? There is a shuttle bus that frequently runs from the hotel to the port in Mykonos town. There is even a shuttle bus that will take you from the beach back up to the hotel if you don’t want to hike up all the steps. We didn’t have time to check out the spa facilities, but they looked very clean and nice. All in all it was a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Dallas, TX
Reviewed August 26, 2010

The Royal Myconian turned out to be a very pleasant surprise when my daughter and I arrived in Mykonos. We had not arranged for transportation to the hotel, but happened to see a van driver waiting for another couple and he had absolutely no problem with us tagging along. The hotel is located on Elia Beach, which is in the south central part of the island and about a 30 minute drive from the airport, but it was well worth it. The lobby was beautiful and the views were breathtaking. Our room was a little dated, but still clean, comfortable and it had a great patio. The breakfast buffet was one of the best I've ever had!
The Royal Myconian has a private beach which was very nice. There were beach umbrellas and lounge chairs and you could get drinks and snacks. I must put this comment in for any American women going to Mykonos. No matter your size, age, height, weight or if you are pregnant or not, BRING A 2 PIECE BATHING SUIT!! I was only one of a very few with a one piece on and I felt out of place. That night when my daughter and I went to town I purchased a bikini and even though some parts of my body where as white as a ghost and I am no spring chicken, I proudly put that thing on and felt like I belonged. So American ladies don’t despair because no one notices your whiteness or size, they only notice if you are wearing a one piece!
Moving along, the swimming pool at the hotel is a salt water pool, which was unusual, but we spent most of our time on the beach. They have bus service to town every night which was so convenient. The staff was awesome and helped us with everything we needed. I did use the spa briefly and was very happy with the results.
I loved the Royal Myconian and if I ever return to Mykonos, I would most definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010
London
Reviewed August 25, 2010

This was our 5th visit back to the Royal Myconian Hotel, and once again it offered everything we could want from a relaxing beach holiday in Aegean Sea paradise.

From the minute we stepped off the plane to the minute we left the resort, the staff were as welcoming and friendly as you would find only in any Myconian Collection Hotel.
We were greeted by every staff member across the hotel with “Welcome back Mr and Mrs H”.

The resort manager, Mr Panos was on hand and very visible, making sure our stay was up to the normal very high standard, that you would find in no other hotel.
He made sure our trips to other islands were exceptional and will live long in the memory.

The Rooms, Swimming pools, and Spa were as delightful as ever, with the quality of food and choice of restaurant making this a truly fantastic Royal Myconian experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elia
Myconian Imperial Hotel & Thalasso Centre
#2 of 10 in Agios Stefanos
Palladium Boutique Hotel
Palladium Boutique Hotel
#2 of 26 in Platys Gialos

Been to Royal Myconian Resort & Thalasso Spa Center? Share your experiences!