“Great Hotel, Bad Spa”

Royal Myconian Resort & Thalasso Spa Center
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Elia
Reviewed January 17, 2008

This hotel is very very nice with views that are breathtaking. I felt like I was in a dream while there! Except for the spa, which was not good. I had a massage and the room was freezing from the air conditioning. I also had my toes done and the nail polish came off and looked like goo in a day or two. The pedicurist fixed it but then it happened again.. My nail woman at home was horrified when she saw my toes and even more horrified at the price. The food was really good and the restaurants down on the beach were good too. I loved sitting on the beach or at the pool. Overall, the service at the hotel pretty much stunk for us (my boyfriend and I), but whatever, I had a great time anyway. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel if you are not interested in night life. The lines for taxies to get home after going out are very very long. It took my friends an hour or more at 4am to get a cab. Luckily my boytfriend (now fiance) don't go out too much so we didn't have to deal with that stuff. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank khoeckele

Reviewed October 13, 2007

We were a little disappointed at this so called five star hotel. Our room overlooked the pool and the sea, but the room itself was so small, and the amenities needed upgrade. It reminded me of a motel room. And I hated how they always turned off the air conditioner when they came in to clean our room. The food next to the pool was expensive and not too appetizing. The breakfast food was a complete disappointment. Good thing was that there is a shuttle that takes you to downtown every hour or so, which is good because the hotel itself is far from the major attraction site of mykonos.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ctandsn
Reviewed October 7, 2007

To be fair, this is a good hotel at a wonderful location. The views of the beach below from our balcony were breathtaking! Also loved the heated sea water pool in the Thallaso spa where you can just float around and relax.

However, we visited Greece in September and Mykonos was the second stop on our trip which included Athens, Mykonos and Santorini. Peak season ends in August so this is actually a good time to go if you are looking to avoid the crowds. The weather is still good, even though the evenings can be a little chilly. Our experience of visiting in September were great in both Athens and Santorini (where we stayed in the wonderful Altana Houses) but the service levels at the Royal Myconian left a lot to be desired.

It seemed that staffing levels had been cut due to off-season. This was the case in the others hotels we stayed at as well, however here they had been cut to the point of compromising service. We tried to get a drink at the lobby bar the first night but the bartender was nowhere to be found. We finally got tired of waiting and went to the restaurant where we ordered cocktails. The cocktails took more than 20 minutes and in fact arrived after our food. The waiter just blamed the bartender at the lobby bar since thats where the drinks were coming from.

The hotel is located on top of a cliff and its a good walk down to the beach. Downhill is easy but the uphill walk is a tough task. There was suppose to be a shuttle to take us up ever 15 mins but no shuttle came during our 4 day stay. One staff member told us that the shuttle service had been suspended. When we complained to the reception, they kept insisting that the shuttle was running. This happened all 4 days but no shuttle!

While the Thalasso spa is great with the heated pool and jacuzzi, the spa treatments were not too great. I got a hot stone massage which was pretty bad.

Everything at this hotel was quite expensive. Everything even had a 6 Euro service charge added. When you pay these kind of prices, you expect a very high level of service which was lacking.

So overall, the property has good rooms, great views, good beach closeby (not the private hotel beach but the much nicer public beach a short walk away), but the level of service is not too good. We will probably explore other options for our next trip, like the Mykonos Grand hotel which was our first choice but fully booked during our visit.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ShamailS
Reviewed September 10, 2007

Overall we had a good experience. One exception is that on the day we checked out our boat was leaving at 10:30 pm. When we told the girl at the reception she told us that we should have notified them a day earlier, and then she recommended that they can call a cab. I asked if the cab would be payed by the hotel and she said no, and then I told her that in the price of the hotel is the transfer to and from port or airport. She finally had a driver pick us up but brought us to the port 1 hour earlier. The thing was that the driver told us that he had plenty of free time...
One more thing, if your are looking to eat somewhere outside the hotel DO NOT GO to a tavern up the hill past the entrance of the hotel called Fruit de mer. Basically the guy/cook (he calls himself a chef) is an eccentric rude guy , they have no menu (and therefore no specific prices) and you order food of the day which is nice, but basically a rip off. The place is a run down tavern and he basically charged 12 euros for a Greek salad expensive even for Mykonos standards, a small bottle of ouzo (200 ml) was also 12 euros.
By the way I am Greek so I dont think it was not an issue of taking advantage of foreigners.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple

1  Thank jopp1
Reviewed June 30, 2007

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 20thAnniversaryTrip
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elia
Myconian Imperial Resort
#1 of 26 in Platys Gialos
Nissaki Boutique Hotel
Nissaki Boutique Hotel
#2 of 26 in Platys Gialos

Been to Royal Myconian Resort & Thalasso Spa Center? Share your experiences!