The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior
$98
$101
Hotels.com
Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior(Tofte)(Great Value!)
$159
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior(Tofte)(Great Value!)
$75
Aspen Inn(Grand Marais)
$65
Travelocity
$115
Travelocity
The Shoreline Inn(Grand Marais)
$99
Hotels.com
East Bay Suites(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
$150
Mangy Moose Motel(Grand Marais)(Great Value!)
$89
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscontinental breakfastnew ownersscreen doorsound of the wavesnorth shoregrand maraisbeautiful viewknotty pinesliding glasscomfortable roompatio doorswindows overlookinglake superiorno elevatorstar amenitiesfell asleepowners and staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 2, 2014

On the plus side:
Beautiful view. Nice deck. Ample breakfast. Friendly host. Clean. Inexpensive. Fridge and microwave in the room.

On the negative: no wifi in the room...and spotty even in the lobby. Bandwidth issues. Tofte is about to get broadband, and cliffdweller plans to get it and has already purchased routers so that all rooms have wifi. They realize this is a problem.

Also...not all rooms have tv. Ask.

There is no pool.

Rooms basic.....but clean.

Stay on the second floor for best view.....

Room Tip: Second floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Minnesotamon
Reviewed July 1, 2014

I will let my email to the owners tell my story. Sent Saturday night (6/28) and have not yet received a reply.

Good Evening,

I'm writing to inform you of the experience my husband and I had at your establishment. We left early today (we are not fulfilling our two night stay) and fully understand that we are paying for tonight - but I can honestly say we will never recommend the Cliff Dweller. I also will be posting a review on Trip Advisor.
I was up north for work and part of my work requires wifi. We chose Cliff Dweller based on location to the work event and wifi. Turns out you do not offer wifi in the rooms- but you do in the lobby, which closes at 8pm. We arrived near 8pm. That was one of the worst things for me given my work situation, and here are a few others.
Unit 203
There was no hand soap.
You do not offer conditioner alongside shampoo.
The heat wouldn't turn on.
You do not have coffee in the room (and the lobby doesn't open until 7:30). We had a race in the AM in which we needed to leave by 6am. No way to get coffee from the lobby OR check emails.
The bed was uncomfortable - feeling and sounding like an air mattress.
Sounded like the door to the room wasn't sealed - traffic was very loud.
Albeit beautiful. the wooden deck outside the sliding glass doors seemed very unsafe. Boards were very old and flimsy.
I get it if you are the rustic up north destination, but if that's the case, don't offer or promote that you offer wifi and don't have flat screen TVs in your rooms. There are more than one hundred adjectives to describe the place you stay, and ours for Cliff Dweller would be 'ugh'.
We've stayed all over the world and all over the north shore. Your rate should be closer to $35/night - not $267 for two nights with tax.

Again, I can't ever recommend anyone to stay at Cliff Dweller. I know it sucks to receive this email...it sucks to write it - and it sucked to experience it - so we all lose.

Regards,

Room Tip: Don't stay in 203. I can't speak for the other rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank EFreedy
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

We arrived late last Friday, expecting a worn, older hotel for a good price. It frankly didn't matter as it was just a first stop after a long drive from the twin cities. When we arrived, the hotel staff couldn't have been friendlier and we were blown away by the views of Lake Superior. We opened the patio door and were lulled to sleep by the sounds of Lake Superior crashing on the rocks below us. The hotel was clean, well kept and very well maintained. The linens were comfortable and the kitchenette was a plus! The next morning, we had the breakfast room to ourselves with stunning lake views and an unexpected, robust "continental breakfast" selection. There was even homemade egg bake in a crockpot, which was delicious. While the hotel may be less lavish than those in the area, it couldn't have suited us better. Request a top floor room for optimum views, but all rooms are lakeside. There is also a small picnic area and it is close to state parks and Lutsen mountain.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Amandammeyer
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The Cliffdweller is by far my favorite place to stay -- anywhere!! I could stay here for a week and never leave. It used to have a very nice restaurant, but when they had to replace the "plumbing" it was just too expensive. So, now they have a continental breakfast. I would highly recommend the Cliffdweller for its FABULOUS VIEW!!!! It sits right on Lake Superior! I will be back as soon as possible.

Room Tip: Get a room on the first floor. You'll practically be sitting on the Lake!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Sharon J
Reviewed March 20, 2014

No, this is not a luxury hotel, but it's northwoods MN! The view is worth any price. Who needs a TV when all you have to do is open the curtains for a most spectacular view?! Falling asleep at night to the sound of crashing waves (not traffic!) and the light of a full moon (not a streetlamp!) is something rarely found in much of today's world! I'll take no frills simplicity anytime!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family