“A Great Gem of a Place To Stay When Skiing in Lutsen, MN”

Caribou Highlands Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed at the Caribou Highland Lodge for 2 nights in middle February 2014.
I have nothing to say but great things about this accommodation.I was impressed with how nice the facilities were and how helpful and nice all the staff were during our visit. The rooms were clean, well stocked, and roomy. The lodge was first-class all the way with a great dining room/bar downstairs. Food and service were terrific. I checked in and the staff were friendly and gave good customer service. I was amazed to how well the lobby was. Had a nice sitting area and a nice fireplace. The room I had was on the 2nd floor and was great access. Short walk to anything. My room faced Moose Mountain and the below walkway which was amazing. Room was very clean. Also came with a nice whirlpool bathtub. The water was always nice and hot. Also room came with a nice fridge and microwave. The bed was very big and comfortable. Large assortment of different pillows to choose from. This would be room 206. Which also had a plus of having main stairwell to outside beside. As this was a ski in and ski out property. Very amazing. I just walk outside my door and I was on the blue diamond path that goes straight to Moose Mountain lift. Then at end of the day. You just ski down from the Bridge run and you end up back at the Lodge either in front or out back. Quite convenient for sure. Parking out front is quite good enough for anyone staying here. This property has many options. As I stayed in the main lodge. There is also a condo facility. Also the Poplar Homes and another part of a lodge are all with Caribou Highlands.
I recommend anyone to stay here at anytime. Whether it be singles, families, Seniors or couples. A good time for everyone.

The bar and restaurant at this facility is really good as well.

Room Tip: 2nd Floor is best. Same level as lobby and best views.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank worldtravellers123
Kimberly N, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Wow! Thank-you for the wonderful review, it is much needed during the mid-ski season. As you have seen, most guests do enjoy our fireplace in the lobby to relax by. It is a great place to meet others, or have a family game night by. Our staff tries their best to make sure your stay with us is a positive memorable one! We appreciate you supporting all that we do.

There are newer reviews for Caribou Highlands Lodge

Reviewed February 20, 2014

My family rented a 4 bedroom home for a weekend getaway. We had a group of 10 adults and 7 children. The home worked really well for us. It was furnished and decorated nicely, and had lots of the little things we needed like salt, pepper, paper towels, dish soap, etc.

Good things about the home: Good amount of bathrooms, very clean, updated appliances, beautiful views, three fireplaces, nice big kitchen table.

Not So Good things about the home: The kitchen was tiny. Only one person at a time could be in there. The pool was far away. Not a walk-able distance in the cold.

The indoor pool was fun for the kids, but not so fun for the adults watching them! The pool complex was so humid and hot -- more ventilation needed!!! And there were big puddles of water a few inches deep all over the floor. I was not so impressed.

Overall -- We had a really nice time. The home we rented met our needs and we were comfortable there. There are some things Caribou Highlands can improve on, but overall it is a decent place.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank HannahBee123

It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your family of 17 in our Poplar Home! These homes are large enough to accommodate a family of your size. Thank-you for taking the time to inform us of how we could have done better... pool area. I will forward your response onto our maintenance department to see if we can find a fix for the ventilation problem. I am sorry we did not inform you about our shuttle service that would not only take you to the ski hill, but to the pool area as well. That would have made the pool experience a little bit better. I hope to see you back perhaps in the summer months or next ski season.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

Great place, great staff! They make it so convenient to stay and ski with kids, dogs, non-skiiers, ... This place is really for everyone! They will shuttle you to and from the main chalet, or you can ski right out your door. They were very prompt in my requests as well. We have stayed here in previous years, and will be staying here again.

Room Tip: They have choices for any size party. The reservation staff was very helpful in my decision with 10...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank-you for taking the time to put a review on Trip Advisor. It sounds like your stay with us was just as you hoped it would be! Yes, we do have pet friendly rooms, however not all of them are, so by calling the front desk, we were able to make sure your lodging was the right fit for you. We hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I recently went to Lutsen to ski with my school and the cabins along with the hot tube after a long say out in the cold were awesome. Plus, Karen, the front desk attendant helped me out with making my stay the best I've had. I would definitely recommend staying here if you want to have a great time and the ability to ski directly from the cabin.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Kimberly N, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Caribou Highlands is a great school trip for the ski season! I am glad that you agree. Yes, the easy access to Moose does make it a bit more easy to ski in and ski out of your cabin. Karen is a long time employee who has been with Caribou for over 15 years. We all appreciate her as much as you do. We look forward to seeing you again at Caribou, and thank-you for your nice review.

Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Caribou while I was skiing at Lutsen. Caribou is very close to lutsen which is a plus. I don't understand why every room is either a king bed or a double? Why no queens? So, we had 3 people and had to have one sleep on the floor. The hotel is quaint and nice. Most people are staying here to ski so it doesn't have anything crazy. But it is a nice place to stay. The hot tub and pool is in a different building. Once again this seems like cheap planning. We had to run outside in 5 degree weather just to get to the pool.

Overall, the staff was kind and the location was great. You get what you pay for and this place is cheap and close. I would stay again but only because it serves a purpose of close proximity to lutsen.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us. I am sorry that the accommodations did not meet your expectations. Our Lodge rooms are standard with a king bed or two double beds and are our most economically friendly accommodations. In your next visit our Condo’s would suit your group perfectly! The condos provide you with a variety of bed sizes as well as other bonus amenities such as a kitchen and fireplace. The condos are also connected to the main pool/spa area as well as within close proximity to the Bridge Run and Moose Access ski runs. They are reasonably priced too! You may give us a call at 1-800-642-6036 to book your next stay. We would love to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

For the last four years we have been spending a family weekend at Lutsen. It is a large group of people but we have been very happy. This year we stayed at Poplar Ridge and the accomodations were wonderful!! I would definitely stay there again, in fact, I would request the same location.

The skiing conditions were good and the shuttle was always just a few minutes away.

From the day we made our reservations through the day we left I felt we were given excellent service. To top it off, we left a snowboard. I was amazed how easily they offered to ship it back to us and how out of their way they went to do this.

We will be continuing this tradition. Thank you Caribou Highlands.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Caribou Highlands. We are glad the location, accommodations and service exceeded your expectations. We are privileged to be a part of your tradition and we look forward to welcoming you back again and again in the future! Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

So here's my review on Caribou Highlands. I booked the trip then read the reviews. The ones I read we're all horrible. I then started having a panic attack, because this was my husbands & I anniversary trip. So we got up here and the decor was perfect for the theme of the lodge. The staff was friendly & very helpful (got local tips on snowshoeing the best trails). When I read reviews on how the rooms were dirty, not this one we had (Nordic with whirlpool). I inspected the room (I'm a former housekeeper), nothing looked dirty to me. I was good with & so was the husband.
In conclusion, don't rely on bad reviews to turn you away from here. If you're looking into staying here, look at the good reviews on the lodge.
I'm very happy for what we paid for. You're really here to adventure, not stay in your room the whole time.

Room Tip: We got the Nordic with the whirlpool (we call it the moose room, it had all moose decor.....my favor...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you chose to give us a chance. We do hold our staff to a high standard of cleanliness and customer service. We strive as a team to ensure every guest has the best experience they possibly can and we are pleased to hear everything exceeded your expectations. The Caribou Team is overjoyed that we won your stamp of approval as a past housekeeper too. We hope the memories you made here will last you and your husband a life time…or at least until your next visit! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you both back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
Best Western Plus Superior Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
East Bay Suites
East Bay Suites
#3 of 10 in Grand Marais
Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior

Been to Caribou Highlands Lodge? Share your experiences!