“Lutsen's Ski In/Ski Out that takes dogs!”

Caribou Highlands Lodge
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Great place, great staff! They make it so convenient to stay and ski with kids, dogs, non-skiiers, ... This place is really for everyone! They will shuttle you to and from the main chalet, or you can ski right out your door. They were very prompt in my requests as well. We have stayed here in previous years, and will be staying here again.

Room Tip: They have choices for any size party. The reservation staff was very helpful in my decision with 10...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Kimberly N, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2014

Thank-you for taking the time to put a review on Trip Advisor. It sounds like your stay with us was just as you hoped it would be! Yes, we do have pet friendly rooms, however not all of them are, so by calling the front desk, we were able to make sure your lodging was the right fit for you. We hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I recently went to Lutsen to ski with my school and the cabins along with the hot tube after a long say out in the cold were awesome. Plus, Karen, the front desk attendant helped me out with making my stay the best I've had. I would definitely recommend staying here if you want to have a great time and the ability to ski directly from the cabin.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Kimberly N, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Caribou Highlands is a great school trip for the ski season! I am glad that you agree. Yes, the easy access to Moose does make it a bit more easy to ski in and ski out of your cabin. Karen is a long time employee who has been with Caribou for over 15 years. We all appreciate her as much as you do. We look forward to seeing you again at Caribou, and thank-you for your nice review.

Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Caribou while I was skiing at Lutsen. Caribou is very close to lutsen which is a plus. I don't understand why every room is either a king bed or a double? Why no queens? So, we had 3 people and had to have one sleep on the floor. The hotel is quaint and nice. Most people are staying here to ski so it doesn't have anything crazy. But it is a nice place to stay. The hot tub and pool is in a different building. Once again this seems like cheap planning. We had to run outside in 5 degree weather just to get to the pool.

Overall, the staff was kind and the location was great. You get what you pay for and this place is cheap and close. I would stay again but only because it serves a purpose of close proximity to lutsen.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit with us. I am sorry that the accommodations did not meet your expectations. Our Lodge rooms are standard with a king bed or two double beds and are our most economically friendly accommodations. In your next visit our Condo’s would suit your group perfectly! The condos provide you with a variety of bed sizes as well as other bonus amenities such as a kitchen and fireplace. The condos are also connected to the main pool/spa area as well as within close proximity to the Bridge Run and Moose Access ski runs. They are reasonably priced too! You may give us a call at 1-800-642-6036 to book your next stay. We would love to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

For the last four years we have been spending a family weekend at Lutsen. It is a large group of people but we have been very happy. This year we stayed at Poplar Ridge and the accomodations were wonderful!! I would definitely stay there again, in fact, I would request the same location.

The skiing conditions were good and the shuttle was always just a few minutes away.

From the day we made our reservations through the day we left I felt we were given excellent service. To top it off, we left a snowboard. I was amazed how easily they offered to ship it back to us and how out of their way they went to do this.

We will be continuing this tradition. Thank you Caribou Highlands.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Jennifer G, Manager at Caribou Highlands Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 7, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Caribou Highlands. We are glad the location, accommodations and service exceeded your expectations. We are privileged to be a part of your tradition and we look forward to welcoming you back again and again in the future! Thank you for being our guest!

Reviewed January 24, 2014

So here's my review on Caribou Highlands. I booked the trip then read the reviews. The ones I read we're all horrible. I then started having a panic attack, because this was my husbands & I anniversary trip. So we got up here and the decor was perfect for the theme of the lodge. The staff was friendly & very helpful (got local tips on snowshoeing the best trails). When I read reviews on how the rooms were dirty, not this one we had (Nordic with whirlpool). I inspected the room (I'm a former housekeeper), nothing looked dirty to me. I was good with & so was the husband.
In conclusion, don't rely on bad reviews to turn you away from here. If you're looking into staying here, look at the good reviews on the lodge.
I'm very happy for what we paid for. You're really here to adventure, not stay in your room the whole time.

Room Tip: We got the Nordic with the whirlpool (we call it the moose room, it had all moose decor.....my favor...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are pleased that you chose to give us a chance. We do hold our staff to a high standard of cleanliness and customer service. We strive as a team to ensure every guest has the best experience they possibly can and we are pleased to hear everything exceeded your expectations. The Caribou Team is overjoyed that we won your stamp of approval as a past housekeeper too. We hope the memories you made here will last you and your husband a life time…or at least until your next visit! Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you both back in the future.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed caribou highland during the christmas holiday.Our expectation for this resort was not so much before we arrived. it turned totally wrong.
From check in to check out, their intimacy and hospitality service was impressive. Pricing is little bit high but it was okay for the holiday season. friendly front desk clerk, excellent stay over service and restaurant service also magnificent. All the staffs know what the hospitality service is. I guess. they did all their best for accommodating the guests even it was hard.
Executive townhome we stayed was great furnished and cozy atmosphere. adequate space for big guys and purely ski in and out unit.
I can't wait to be back. I already missed caribou and lutsen so badly

Room Tip: Executive townhome is reasonable for big group, Moreover if you seek ski in/out unit, executive home...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank worldtravellerxo

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us here at Caribou Highlands. We are glad the accommodations and service exceeded your groups expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again in the future! Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

My wife and I stayed here in January of 2014. Originally, we booked one of the Poplar Ridge townhomes. The room itself was nice and reasonably clean, though the blanket on the bed had lots of hair on it. However, there was a large group of young people next door who made lots of noise, and we could clearly hear them speaking through the adjoining rooms. They were very loud and obnoxious, and we called the front desk after 11:00 p.m. to tell them about the situation, but there was no one there.

The next morning, we called the front desk, and they offered for us to stay in the main lodge, but nothing else. So we had to move all of our stuff to a different room by ourselves with no help whatsoever. The room there was reasonable.

After staying here three times, I must say that most of the rooms are quite dated in pretty much every way. As far as the location goes, the rooms in the main lodge are indeed ski in/ski out, but most of the Poplar Ridge townhomes are NOT ski in. You can ski out down to the Moose Access run (tough luck if you don't want to go to Moose Mountain), but there's no way to ski in to the townhomes without hiking a long way up. Most of the people staying at the townhomes were driving over to the base area to ski.

So the rooms need to be updated, access to the ski runs needs to be clearly stated for what it is and isn't, and the lodge needs a serious upgrade with customer service. Someone needs to be at the front desk 24/7, and they need to be willing to provide some real help (i.e. help people move, room discount, restaurant gift certificate) to customers in need.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge if you truly want ski in/ski out access. The Poplar Ridge townhomes are NOT...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
19 mi away
Aspen Lodge
Aspen Lodge
#8 of 10 in Grand Marais

Been to Caribou Highlands Lodge? Share your experiences!