“Lutsen = rip-off”

Lutsen Mountains
Ranked #3 of 8 things to do in Lutsen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: World class scenery and terrain. The ancient Sawtooth Mountains rise 1000 feet above the coast of Lake Superior-topography unlike any other Midwest locale. And that brings more of what you want in a ski trip. More runs. More elevation. More epic days. You'll find the very best Mid-America has to offer-the highest mountains, the most snow, and the breathtaking beauty of the North Shore. Lutsen offers 95 sweeping runs over four mountains with a lift-serviced vertical rise more than double that of other regional resorts.
Duluth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Lutsen = rip-off”
Reviewed December 23, 2010

I recently booked a 2 night, 2 day ski and stay package at Lutsen for 2 adults. We arrived Monday night. Tuesday morning we went to pick up our lift tickets only to have them tell us that our reservation was not made correctly and was not in the system as a "ski and stay" package deal.

Really long story short - they charged us full price and did not refund us any of our money. No matter who we talked to, they could not change our reservation to what it was suppose to be, they could not discount our tickets, they refused to try and help us out in any way. They just kept telling us "that isn't how it works." This turned out to be the most expensive ski vacation of my life and needless to say I will never go back to Lutsen ever again. I could have booked a trip out west to a much nicer resort for the price this trip cost me.

The people who work there are not helpful at all and totally unwilling to fix their mistakes or make up for a wrong they did.

I would not recommend Lutsen for anyone. You are better off going to Montana.

19 Thank darkhorse162

thunder bay, ontario
“Above satisfactory, but not great”
Reviewed February 18, 2010

The accomadations at this place are great. They are well priced, clean, and have everything you need within a few minute walk (chalet, bar, entertainment, etc). However, the ski hills leave much to be desired.

Slow chairlifts that close at 4:00pm so be sure to be in your ski boots for their 9:30am start up. The hills marked as black diamonds would be intermediate anywhere else, so do not expect anything steep. The bushtrails are pretty sweet though, when they're open (half were closed when I was there). Grooming is quite good, and they do it a few times a day. If you like little kicker jumps that can usually be found on the sides of hills, you will be disapointed unless you do a bush trail or go to their park. The park, for that matter, has some big jumps, but not very much else, so there is not something for those of us who are just getting into freestyle. There are quite a few flat spots, so work on your ground game or you'll be out of breath going from mountain to mountain.

As a ski hills, it is not great. However, if you go for a few nights and have a good time at the end of a day, it makes for a good weekend vacation if you are already in the area. I have not been outwest or even out east, but if you are close to the rockies or Quebec, don't bother with lutsen.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Please get high speed chair lifts”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

If Lutsen Resort would only get High Speed Chair lifts I would go there much more but I won't even bother making the drive up there because it's not worth wasting my time sitting on those 1960s chair lifts that take 15-30 minutes to reach the top of the peak. I would rather save my money and book a cheap trip to the mountains than going to Lutsen.

Please consider investing in some High Speed lifts for crying out loud.

Also, I know that I'm not the only Vegetarian out there. So if you don't eat meat, don't plan on eating there. I was expecting more veggie options they but only had Meat options.

I don't recommend this place to do any Skiing or Snowboarding that wants to get in more than 10 runs in a day.

6 Thank mrosenberger7
Chicago
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Summertime is amazingly beautiful here”
Reviewed August 7, 2009

Went down the alpine slide which was very fun. Also took the gondola up the mountain and did a great hike that ended up near a bunch of the runs that overlook Lake Superior the views are amazing and the air is so clean. I desperately want to go back in the winter and ski!

Hudson, WI
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“don't bother early season”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

We went to Lutsen Mt. ski area over Thanksgiving weekend 2008. They only had 6 runs open (Lutsen has about 90).
They have four mountains there. Only two had open runs.
The snow they had was man made and very icey. We have gone
to Lutsen before in January/February. My advice, don't waste
the time and money going early season.

4 Thank Hudson_WIFamilySki