“Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Lutsen Mountains
Ranked #3 of 7 things to do in Lutsen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: World class scenery and terrain. The ancient Sawtooth Mountains rise 1000 feet above the coast of Lake Superior-topography unlike any other Midwest locale. And that brings more of what you want in a ski trip. More runs. More elevation. More epic days. You'll find the very best Mid-America has to offer-the highest mountains, the most snow, and the breathtaking beauty of the North Shore. Lutsen offers 95 sweeping runs over four mountains with a lift-serviced vertical rise more than double that of other regional resorts.
Rochester, Minnesota
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a wonderful time skiing and staying here. The slopes were much more extensive than I expected and was definitely worth the trip. Will most definitely be coming back!

Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great Skiing in the Midwest”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nothing like it in the Midwest. Great runs and many chair lifts if they are all running. Gondola ride is a must. Remodeled Chalet on other side is great. Hills are a bit steep at the end before the chair lifts for beginners. Long runs.

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great skiing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

This was our third trip to Lutsen and we loved it. Stayed at Caribou and due to good snow conditions were able to take advantage of the ski in-ski out to and from Moose mountain without having to use the Gondola. Grooming of the runs was excellent, staff friendly, very short lines even on President's day weekend. We are good skiers and don't find it boring. The only negative experience - my husband lost his lift ticket on the second day. We were escorted from the bottom of Moose Mountain all the way to the ticket office by the main lodge. The manager there treated him like a criminal. They asked about hotel, room number etc. which I thought was inappropriate. Even after they located the tickets on their computer they did not print out a new one. My husband had to fetch his receipt from the hotel. Then they were friendlier. He missed out on more than an hour of skiing. I know it was his fault but it was still very disappointing. That is why I gave only 4 stars.

1 Thank Minnesotamom2304
Edina, Minnesota
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“We loved the skiing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was the first time we went skiing at a big resort. The runs were very fun and we really liked it! The ski school was very good and the teachers there were nice. Our only concern was the ski lifts, some of them need safety bars. Other than that we loved our trip and can't wait to come again!

Minneapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Poor Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

While this is the biggest hill in MN, they have the worst customer service. Don't bother asking for the front desk manager, she is a crabby old lady that knows nothing about customer service. Lutsens only concern is to make money. Their lifts are sketchy with center poles (not safe) and they leave some runs half groomed while the other half is chunky ice (this is February, you have plenty of snow to groom the entire run!). They also over charge for their services, $63 for a lift ticket, plus about $20+ in taxes, if you buy online they make you purchase tickets 3 days before you arrive. Who does that? You should be able to purchase tickets anytime online and use them the same day. Most resorts give you a deal if you ski 2 days and decide to ski a 3rd, not Lutsen, they rather get a few extra bucks instead of keep a loyal customer. I used to love going to Lutsen every year. So much so that I have organize a group of 20+ friends for the past 7 years. I will no longer being making those arrangements. I am an advocate for snowboarding/skiing, I have worked for retail ski/snowboard companies and I was a ski/snowboard instructor. I will no longer recommend Lutsen to anyone. I will only warn them of the horrible customer service the poor quality of their equipment. Spirit Mountain is 2hrs closer with better equipment (they at least have a high speed quad) and great customer service.

7 Thank reversamark

Been to Lutsen Mountains? Share your experiences!