“Eagle Ridge just fine, not perfect”

Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Eagle Ridge just fine, not perfect”
Reviewed August 19, 2007

Our family of 4 just returned from a very enjoyable weekend at Eagle Ridge Resort on Lutsen Mtn. Accommodations were fine, nothing fancy, but clean and adequate. The balcony could have used a good power washinging, but overall really nothing to complain about and I am a fairly fussy traveler. Rooms were pretty basic, no closets, no suitcase racks, no extra linens for the futon, no coffee for the coffee maker, not much sound proofing, very limited maid service - minor things like that. Towels were fine and the bathroom was sparkling clean, bring your own toilettries. Staff was ok, not excellent customer service, but adequate - I'd describe it as a little rough around the edges. The resorts' best feature was definitely its location. We were able to go canoeing, hiking, take the gondola and ride the alpine slides all without ever getting back into our car which was really nice. The Trappers restaurant was ok at best, entree sizes were small by most American standards which would be ok if the prices matched, but they didn't and the food was nothing to write home about. Being able to walk there was the real draw. Overall I'd definitely recommend Eagle Ridge for what it is, simple but clean accommodations with terrific views and a great location. If you're looking for luxury or pampering you should probably go elsewhere.

• Liked — location, views
  • Disliked — that they allowed smoking anywhere outside which sometimes drifting into the rooms
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank askalice

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Minnesota
Reviewed July 29, 2007

We were supposed to stay at Eagle Ridge for a 7day/6night vacation this August but had such poor customer service over the phone that we ended up cancelling and booking at Caribou Highlands where the customer service was excellent! The Manager at Eagle Ridge was very rude and snippy when we asked about getting the online discounted rate. We initially ended up canceling our reservation and paying the fee and then rebooking it with the dicounted rate. During this process the Manager on the phone was extremely rude and abrupt about it all. I had told my uncle about the deal that we had done so we called a few days later to see if the 10person condo was included in this deal. During this conversation, the manager snapped at me and said that she had already told me earlier that it was not. I explained to her that we had not asked about that reservation and were just curious if it pertained to that deal. She continued to be very rude and snippy and told me that she knows what she says and she already told me. I explained to her that I was not trying to cause any issues but I was just curious if it was part of the on-line discount. After we hung up, my uncle and I decided to look into Caribou Highlands instead. Here we had excellent customer service from the beginning. The woman who helped us was very polite and accomodating and got us a great deal on a much better room for the week. After all of this, we called Eagle Ridge back to cancel and i talked with the same manger lady again. I explained to her that the reason that I canceling was because of her being rude and unprofessional and voiced my concern about how our vacation may have turned aweful out due to her lack of professionalism in a managerial position and her poor customer service. When I explained to her that I only thought we should pay one cancellation fee for the entire reservation, she continued to get heated with me and snippy on the phone., at which time she screamed FINE!! and hung up the phone on us. I was shocked and appalled. I was not being unreasonable or rude to her in any way. I have never dealt with somone in a managerial position that was so immature and unprofessional. She did not seem appologetic at all and definately made me realize that we made a good choice in changeing our reservation. We will never stay at Eagel Ridge in the future and we will be sure to let our friends know about the extremely poor customer service. It was very unfortunate. ...especially coming from the manager.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank travelqueen77

Travelers are raving about these Lutsen hotels

Grantham, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 15, 2007

We stayed @ Eagle Ridge in a 1 bedrm condo for 3 nights. Our family had a wonderful time and the kids loved it. The heated outdoor pool was beautiful and the staff were quite friendly and helpful. The location was awesome to the tram, trails and Alpine slide. I'd suggest putting take out menus in the rooms for the restuarant but other than that, thank you! We plan on coming back this Fall.

• Liked — The view and heated outdoor pool
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
minnesota
Reviewed April 26, 2007

we have gone to eagle ridge many times over the last few years & always enjoyed our stay. i am bummed to read the bad reviews but i will agree on the front desk people not being friendly. when you are a traveler on vacay it is nice to be treated with a welcoming hello at the very least. the rroms are a bit worn but expected with skiers. we always stay in the jacuzzi suite & the prices are reasonable & pool & views great. papa charlies restaurant is great for a few beers & an expensive meal. : ) the views are gorgeous & the north woods hiking,e tc are perfect. whenever we travel we go with a fairly open mind though cause hotels are never great in my opinion unless its like the ritz.....

• Liked — view, jacuzzi
  • Stayed March 2006, traveled as a couple
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed April 4, 2007

I would most definitely NOT stay here again.
I was also ripped off by the policy of not offering specials to customers who have a reservation without charging a cancellation fee. I got several different reasons why, none of which held water. I read the managers response to the other complaint about being like the airline industry, what a joke!
I could have cancelled and stayed next door at Caribou Highlands but decided to give this a shot since I would have lost $190 plus. In retrospect it would have been worth it.
The 2 bedroom condo was O.K. but only by ski resort standards. The furnishings were well worn and it was just clean enough not to complain. The ashtray on the deck was overflowing, the dishwasher was full when we got there, and overall it looked like it had a once over cleaning, it didn't "feel" clean.
One TV for a 2 bedroom condo at a "luxury" resort?
Mismatched glasses and silverware, no spatula, not much of anything really.
Ice machine didn't work for us either.
Customer service at the front desk was comparable to your average convenience store and the decor was a perfect match to that.
O.K. enough of that. The pool was fun as it was indoor / outdoor and the location was great for skiing.
I would recommend Caribou Highlands as we have stayed there also, the only reason I chose Eagle Ridge was for the pool but now I know it's not worth it.

• Liked — The pool and the location
  • Disliked — the customer service
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 1, 2007

Good evening ,
I was visiting Eagle Ridge just a few weeks ago, skiing was fantastic as always but I need to write to you about my experience at Eagle Ridge during my visit.
Last visit was my 5th visit to your place over last 15 years.

1. Front desk: when I arrived I was not greeted very enthusiastically ,gentlemen gave the keys and let me know where I was staying
What happened to the fireplace, usually you had it going with a great smell on northern woods. The fireplace even had no firewood to start the fire.
Also I noticed you removed all racks with sweatshirts and T- shirts, why? It looks terribly dull now, with out all that decorations it looks like a train station not the Ski Resort where I would like to come back.
Comparing to Caribou Highlights just down the road ,to be honest it is hard to do it, they did fantastic job with the frond desk and the coffee shop.
What happen to your hospitality ,when I came Wednesday around 17:00 the coffee was almost gone.
The next day around 20:15 ,coffee was gone period, no hot water for tea either.
The gentlemen working that shift did not looked very appealing, look like he just came back from the another job. I was very sorry to see that.
Your general “front desk” image gone bad ,very bad.
I witnessed the situation when the costumer came to ask for help with the ice machine, front desk gentleman did not looked like cared much to help, said :it is what it is.

2.Guest service programs:
From you flier looks like you have some “Guest programs”, where were they? Front desk did not say anything about it.
I remember you used to have some: meetings with the artists, talks about native Americans, it was very interesting. This time I got nothing.

3.Housekeeping:
My room looked ok and clean. The bathroom heating system had a dust on it, I think it was not wiped for some time.
You really should have more silverware and more plates in the one bedroom units with the kitchen, otherwise I run the dishwasher half empty, completely waste of the water.
Your futon is so unconvertible to sleep on ,I spent four nights sleeping on the floor.
Your bad covers(brown ones) were ripped and looked very old.
The bad was good to sleep on and the sheets were fine.
Your workers were changing the towels very well, every day.

4.Maintenance
Right the way when I came I discovered my heating did not work, maintenance person came and fixed it .
You have to keep checking the flow of the water in the tub, water was standing there during the showers some days, same days was not.
Do you have any security at night? I did not see anybody at least was hard to recognize it who is who.

5. Property
I think the quality relating to price is ,needs to be brought to that upper level. You increased the price of the unit but the quality is lower than used to be.
The threshold on my foot step to my unit was broken, is there anybody going around to check the rooms before the guests will arrive?
I called the front desk to ask for the towels ,gentleman said: they should be there, I would not call if they would be there. The appropriate answer should be: I will take care of it right away. After 15 min waiting finally I got the towels .
You have old sheetrock laying between the buildings, north east side of the 280 unit building .
It would be nice to have a free wireless internet.
You should not have maintenance vehicles parked on the spots where guests would normally park their cars.

Summering:

Do I plan return to Eagle Ridge …maybe, more likely not at this moment.
Please look what Caribou Resort is doing to keep the place friendly for the families and the children.
The uniqueness of you place is some how gone…it is really too bad. I also hoping my letter will help you to improve your service and you will get back where you used to be.

• Liked — snow
  • Disliked — bad futon
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Milwaukee,WI
Reviewed March 29, 2007

We booked a four night stay for March 18th, 2007. A few days before our arrival we wanted to book a larger room that was on the website special. They would not allow us to switch without being penalized for one night on our original room. We then cancelled the reservation and had to pay $89.00 plus tax of $14.25 penalty. We booked our four nights at another lodge close by.(for less then Eagle Ridge)
Eagle Ridge also charged us Minnesota sales tax on the cacellation, Minnesota Department of Revenue does not allow taxation on cancellations.
We were very surprized how we were treated. We stayed here in trhe past with no problems.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank Alma99
scrhky2108, Manager at Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain, responded to this review, April 1, 2007
We have last minute specials that go out within a short period of time. We do not allow people who have current reservations to take advantage of these special because they are just that, last minute specials. An example of this is the airline industry. If they are not selling seats on the plane, they lower the price to book more seats, but they do not give a discount on ticket for people who have already booked at the time.

As far as the cancellation fee, we do not charge tax on a cancellation fee. If they cancel within 14 of the arrival date, the deposit is non refundable. Guests are told this when they make the reservation, and it is also included on the confrimation letter.

Other resorts in the area such as Lutsen Resort and Caribou Highlands have the same cancellation policy.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
Caribou Highlands Lodge
Cascade Lodge
Cascade Lodge
#1 of 4 in Lutsen

Been to Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain? Share your experiences!