I got a "hot deal" on a fireplace/Jacuzzi suite for early April of 2012. Reading some of these reviews makes you wonder
The weather was lousy ~ warm and rainy ~ but we knew that going in and the guy assured me a week and a half prior that as long as the mountain was below 25% of runs, the amount paid for the room and lift tickets would be credited back either as a voucher for next year, or refunded to the credit card. And, once we got there, the two guys (not who I spoke with on the phone earlier) at the front desk stated the same refund/cancellation policy. Quick check in process with friendly and conversant staff. Very pleasant experience with the desk staff, and calling there Sunday for a late checkout was not a problem.
The room was clean, and located just a short walk to the slopes. Not much in the way of furniture, we had the bed, a small table with coffee maker, 2 chairs, and a TV/Dorm fridge cabinet. the bathroom door wouldn't close all the way unless the knob was lifted up slightly, the WiFi was pretty slow, but we were there to board/ski and escape from the kids for a weekend so not a big deal. Housekeeping did their job ~ made the bed, replaced towels (without asking them to do so), took out the empty beer bottles, and restocked coffee. I can pick up my own trash from the floor, coffee filter and sugar packets from the table and also police my own personal dirty laundry.
The pool was close and the indoor/outdoor aspect was super cool too! Unfortunately there were about 30 signs in the pool area that stated no food or beverages were allowed in that area ~ which is understandable because #1 it's a "family resort" and no one with kids would want a bunch of intoxicated people around, and #2 it's a "family resort" and if there were a bunch of kids running around with food and beverages there would be piles of trash all over. The pool area showers however, were either freezing cold (even after being run for 10 minutes) or a pencil-beam of pain with no spray adjustment. Plenty of towels, and the maintenance staff was checking water chemistry in the pool and shoveling slush from the sidewalks.
Papa Charlies and Caribou Highlands were within walking distance and offered a nice selection of "over 21" hangouts without having to worry about driving, plus the food at Papa Charlies was pretty good, and the live music was great. Caribou Highlands was more for the "older" crowd, and the original Lutsen resort was very "stuffy."
Skiing/Boarding at Lutsen is always good, and the mountain shop had 50% off all winter items while we were there, so I spent too much money on boarding pants, socks, hats, wax, and almost got a pair of goggles too!
Over all a very nice, well maintained, friendly, and perfectly located place to stay! Grand Marais, with many great places to eat is about a 15 minute drive and is a nice place to visit for the "North Shore" experience. And even though the weather was lousy ~ 50 degrees and rainy, the snowboarding was still fun! This is a must-do for next year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Eagle Ridge has 75 slope-side studios and condominiums set amidst the peaceful Sawtooth Mountains where guests play by day and relax by night. Each of our units have been designed to complement the natural beauty of the surrounding Superior National Forest and of Lake Superior; stunning views of both are right outside your door. All rooms feature a gas fireplace and patio overlooking the mountains and Poplar River valley along with refrigerator, microwave and TV/DVD. Many rooms have a whirlpool and all of our condos have a full kitchen. While you're here, enjoy the only indoor/outdoor heated pool on the mountain (heated year-round), whirlpool and sauna, and in the summer the campfire pit is a great place to build a fire and make s'mores! Pet reservations are accepted between Mid-April - October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com and Hotwire so you can book your Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eagle Ridge At Lutsen Mountain Hotel Lutsen
- Eagle Ridge Hotel Lutsen
- Eagle Ridge Resort Lutsen