“Fantastic Vacation”

Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Reviewed January 20, 2010

This is a must stay vacation. We stayed with extended family with several college aged kids and parents and grandparents and all had a great time. Lots to do, beautiful, staff was great, clean etc, etc, etc.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed November 17, 2009

My wife and I only had a few days for a honeymoon after our October 10 wedding, so we made the four-hour drive from Minneapolis up the north shore to Lutsen Resort.

I can't say enough excellent things about Lutsen! The staff was very courteous and attentive, especially my massage therapist (who closely resembled Katherine Heigl). The view of Lake Superior and the fall colors were amazing. The meals served in the main lodge restaurant were excellent. The breakfast buffet had a lot to offer but was nothing exceptional. There were lots of activities to take part in, though we kinda did our own thing.

We stayed in one of the Poplar River Condos, which was perfect for a romantic setting! The first time I opened our balcony door I saw a deer not more than ten feet away. The room featured a fireplace and jacuzzi tub. The TV was pretty tiny, but that only encouraged us to go have fun outside. Unfortunately we were late to wake up every day and housekeeping was never able to get into our rooms to clean without us in it, but that wasn't their fault.

A suggestion would be to take a drive up the shore to Grand Marais and Grand Portage. We went to the very northeast corner of Minnesota to see the Grand Portage monument and casino and did some hiking.

I would recommend going during the week, as we stayed Sunday through Wednesday. We certainly weren't the only people there, but it was very quiet and we were given that much more attention by the staff.

We were both very sad we had to leave after just 3 nights, but we simply couldn't afford to stay any longer. We might make it a point to go back on an anniversary, or during the winter for some skiing.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior's MN North Shore provides an excellent experience overall and caters to your needs. We took advantage of the complementary 9-hole golf and enjoyed the expansive rock beach along the lake. The views from the lake side rooms are spectacular. It was clear that the resort is focused solely on the customer experience. While waiting to talk to the activities director I overheard a very unruly customer complain about her appointment for the spa service, during which time it became quite clear that her demands were ridiculous. Despite that, the employee did everything in her power to satisfy her, even offering several free services (and this to someone who, in my opinion, did not deserve even a response much less free services). Long story short, you will be pleased with their service as they go above and beyond to make your stay a good one.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2009

I cannot believe how much this place costs per night. For what we payed, we could have stayed in some very nice resorts in much nicer locations. We stayed with family and three small children in the Poplar River Condos, which were nice. They weren't anything spectacular, but they were comfortable, well appointed, and our two units were right on the Lake Superior shoreline. One unit had a kitchen, which had everything you need to cook while on vacation.

The main lodge looks like a horror show to be quite honest. I am exceedingly happy that we didn't stay there. The reception area is fine, with the typical "Northwoods" decor, whatever that is. I never saw a room in the lodge, but the interior hallways are dark and dingy. The pool is old and sketchy and is about 100% chlorine. We ate once at the Poplar River Pub, which is just blah and vinyl. I'll give the lone server a shoutout, because he was busting his butt to cover all the tables.

Basically, for what we paid, I expect a whole lot more than this resort could ever offer.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I went here for a wedding. First off I went on their website to check everything out. It looked like a really nice place to stay so I was okay with spending $150 a night there. Well when we got there it was nothing like the pictures. It looks like it's about to fall down! We got to our room, and according to their price chart for $150 we should have had a lake view room, well when we looked out our windows we saw a parking lot! The bathroom was so small you could barley fit one person in it. It had a fan you put in a window, no air conditioning. I was searching under the bed for something I lost and found a bug trap with huge bugs in it. Gross. We had people in our party stay in the condos and they didn't have air conditioning either. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. It is a rip off, our hotel room was not worth $150. It was a [--] shack.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We stayed at Lutsen resort for the weekend for my nephews wedding. The staff was wonderful. The lodge rooms could use some updating. The condos were wonderful. We split our group up but would recommend staying in the townhouses or condos for a large group. The resort is not set up for handicapped people. The beach was wonderful. Had a great time at the bonfires each night. would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 2, 2009

We have stayed at the Poplar River Condos before & they were just fabulous (clean, beautiful, spacious)!!!! We were just looking for one night this time so booked a Lake- View room in the main lodge. I did not feel our room was worth the $150 (after tax). The furnishings are old but adequate. There was a hairtie in our shower (always makes you question the cleanliness). The walls were quite thin- I could hear too much of the folks next door. I would suggest a courtyard view room ($86 per night)--- our window was very small and hardly worth the extra money. The lobby area and grounds were very nice with alot of activities. The staff were VERY friendly!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank emhrnbsn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Best Western Plus Superior Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
East Bay Suites
East Bay Suites
#3 of 10 in Grand Marais
Caribou Highlands Lodge
Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior

Been to Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!