“Great place to stay”

Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We stayed at the Poplar River Condos in their standard bedroom. The room was excellent and very clean. The staff was extremely friendly including maintenance staff and even those passing you in the halls. We explored a few of the walking trails at the resort and they were beautiful. They have a great lighted trail taking you from condos to main lodge. The only areas for improvement would be the wifi cuts out quite a bit. It restores within a minute or two but that was bothersome. Also the condo shades are white and let in all the light so it was a major bummer to have a room full of sunlight at 6am. I'd suggest they add darkening shades as well so you can darken room as needed.

1  Thank MNmover

Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the Poplar River condos overlooking the lake. They were perfect! Clean, pretty and beyond our expectations! Staff is friendly and helpful. Restaurant was unbelievable!!! Had the smoked trout and it was superb. Beach is beautiful! For families they organize so many fun activities and have shuffleboard and a bonfire with all the fixings for so'mores!

2  Thank Susan6521
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

My husband, my 3-year-old and I stayed in a Poplar Condo from July 18-20. The location is perfect. Just minutes away is the Lutsen ski area, where you can go on the alpine slide and cable cars. We got the most amazing views of the Sawtooth Mountains and the shoreline of Lake Superior.

The fooday at the restaurant was really good. The elaborate breakfast buffet that we enjoyed as part of our family package, was a great way to start each day. The restaurant staff were friendly and efficient.

The beach, waterfalls, walking trails are well-maintained and gorgeous! There are tons of activities for everyone. We appreciated the two campfires that were set up on the beach.

There are free movie rentals, coffee and a gift shop to enjoy.

Now for the negatives. I don't think allowing two weddings to take place on the same day is a good idea. It was loud, crowded and annoying to see the wedding parties take over the trails and beach for photoshoots. The lobby area was packed as well. It seemed like the other guests were not as important to the resort as were the wedding parties.

Now for the most frustrating part of our stay. Sadly this happened the evening before we checked out, so it kind of ruined my weekend. I'm thinking twice about revisiting this place.
After my walk in the woods, I was walking back to my condo, when two housekeeping staff were walking from their truck to a condo. As I walked by them, they walked very close to me. So close that I thought we were going to bump into each other! I knew it wasn't because they didn't see me! I kept walking. They followed me. They whistled at me and called out to me and passed comments such as, "Miss, you're hot!" I couldn't believe it. I didn't want to turn around and have them the attention, so I quickly walked into my condo. My husband let the housekeeping manager know. She said she knew who these guys were and that she would talk to the general manager. Later that day we had to call them (though they said they would update us, they didn't) to see what they did about it. She said the two guys were asked not to work the rest of the day. Ok...
When my husband went to rent a DVD, he said as a sign of courtesy he could rent it for free. Yay. We saved two bucks.

The next day, at checkout, we asked the front desk person if he knew anything about the incident and if he had an update for us. We just wanted the assurance that they would do what was necessary and let us know when they did. This is the only way we could even think about coming back. But the only response we got was, "Yes I'm aware of what happened, and no I don't have any update for you." Oh SORRY for asking!

My father worked in the hospitality industry for over 30 years, so I know this wasn't the right way to handle this issue. I could have given them some tips on how to handle this situation better. Needless to say, we left unhappy though the first day was amazing.

I hope the management takes this seriously. I expect the GM to get back to me, as I was told.

2  Thank NathR15
Reviewed July 22, 2014

So much to do here. We did some sea kayaking and fly-fishing. Great food and beach. The don't have air conditioning, but as cool as it is by the lake you don't need it... Rooms and lodge are a bit dark, but it is historic and charming.

Room Tip: Stay clear of rooms by pool area. They are quite noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kristylouise78
Reviewed July 21, 2014

There are many things to love about Lutsen Resort. The lodge just drips with charm, as do other parts of the property--the beach front fires at night, the bridges over the rapids of the Poplar river, the walkway up to the popular river condos. But in our two night stay we experienced a few negatives that kept it from earning a 5 star rating:

Negatives:
1. Two wedding parties dominated the premises on the Saturday of our stay. They took over the restaurant, the pool, the beach, everything. Drunk people were leaving beer cans all over and the resort staff seemed overwhelmed by trying to accommodate them.

2. The poplar river condos are nice, clean and relatively new. However, the room we had was billed as "premium view" since it was "on the lake". The first room we were given looked out over a parking lot. True enough, Superior was off in the distance, but it was not worthy of $30 more a night. The second room we got, after complaining, was nice and private, but only about 5% of the view included the lake. It was mostly a view of the woods. (Room recommendation: unless you're in one of the bigger units of the Poplar condos, I'd go with the non-premium view rooms)

3. The cleaning crews seem inefficient and the communication between the desk and cleaning crews could improve. 11am check out and 4pm check in is huge gap--they should be able to accommodate folks that arrive early by at least 2:30 or 3.

4. Sea kayaking was moved to Caribou Lake instead of Superior both days; it was a bit foggy, but they had run it in the morning when it was even worse, so this was a disappointment.

5. The golf course is in horrible shape.

Positives:
There are many. We loved the breakfasts and dinners at the lodge restaurant. I'd highly suggest getting the family meal package. Very worth it.

The kids activities were superb and the staff was top notch.

The poplar River Condos are really nice. We heard that the Sea Villas felt cavernous and dated.
We met lots of nice folks around the beach fires at night.

Honestly, this place is a 4.5 for me.

Room Tip: Poplar River Condos--be very inquisitive when you make your reservation. The person I spoke with wh...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Jenny F, Owner at Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our Resort. I’m sorry that you experienced a few things that moved your rating from a 5 to a 4.5 as we do aspire to make everyone’s stay as close to a 5 as we can. Thanks for your kind words about the dining, the kid’s activities and “top notch” staff. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts with us. Guest feedback is important and allows us to improve our resort. We will share your comments with the management team. I’m happy to say the disturbed areas on our pitch and putt golf course have been reseeded and it should be in good shape next time you return.

Nancy Burns
Lutsen Resort Owner

Reviewed July 21, 2014

3rd stay a Lutsen Resort. Stayed in Poplar River Condos, previously stayed in Log Cabin. Both are great depending on style you like. Resort is great as always, grounds are the best in the area. We love the little things such as the shuffle board court, and the general feel of the beach and covered bridges. Food is very good. Only negative was wifi was very spotty and slow in our unit.

Room Tip: Poplar River Condo with loft is perfect for family of 4-5, nice master bedroom and loft with 3 twin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 3, 2014

We traveled from the East Coast for a wedding at Lutsen Resort. The long trip was worth it for the unique North Shore experience and hospitality. The weather changed by the moment, creating beautiful views and memorable moments. The staff anticipated every need and responded well. The Cliffhouse townhomes allow for a comfortable gathering of friends and family. They were very well equipped and comfortable. We loved the beach BBQ and bonfires (and s'mores!!).

Room Tip: If modern, more luxurious rooms are your preference, stay in a townhome, condo, or log cabin. If yo...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Bluefin Bay on Lake Superior
#3 of 10 in Grand Marais
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
Caribou Highlands Lodge
Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain

Been to Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!