“Great family resort, friendly, helpful staff and good food”

Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at a Sea Villa for four days. The Sea Villa was comfortable, clean, cozy and worked well for our family of six. The kids loved the loft, the rocky beach right outside our back door, the fire ring lakeside and had lots of fun at the pool. We also appreciated the charcoal grill. The activities that are included were great, including the family kayak trip and kids camp. We had a great Minnesota vacation!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Marshallfam
There are newer reviews for Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Last year we got married there and this year we came back for a family reunion. There is so much to do for everyone and the staff go out of their way to make sure your needs are met/exceeded. All ages had a great time. The food is great in the dining room and they have impeccable service. The cafe is pretty much light eats and drinks but is a great hangout. The lodging is top notch. There really is something for every budget. We especially like the flexibility and comfort of the Poplar condos and the townhouses. We look forward to getting up North once our twice a year and Lutsen Resort never disappoints when we stay there!

Room Tip: Try the condos.....they are the best!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank minnefoodie
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I needed to book a last minute reservation on the north shore (not easy in the summer time) but Lutsen Resort came through for me. The staff was accommodating and the hospitality was friendly. I stayed in the main lodge and was quite happy with my view of the lake and with the price of the room. The resort is a wonderful place for families of all ages with plenty to do for all. I also saw some honeymooners out swimming to the little island and it looked very romantic. Short hikes around the property and along the shore were beautiful. Two covered bridges built by old Swedish hands were picturesque for picture taking. If I were to come back with my family I would probably stay in one of the cabins vs. the lodge. Same goes for couples wanting a romantic weekend. The lodge rooms were basic and clean and the restaurant in the lodge was great - the only downfall of the resort was no wifi service. Other than that, I would highly recommend this property.

Room Tip: Choose the lodge for value - choose the cabins for privacy and a more "up north" feel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Many years ago stayed in one of the cabins at Lutsen, great time. A few years ago stayed at the main lodge during a huge storm. Lutsen lost their power and had to resort to their our generator power - truly a wonderful experience. It was cozy - bar menu was the only menu available, the staff were wonderful. We even had lights out at 9 or 10 pm to conserve power. The next day we all got to see the damage from the storm - trees fallen and lots of clean up to be done. Lutsen is always beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ristarbuck
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My wife and I booked a room in the lodge, although it was adequate the room was very dated and the tv was basically non exsistent. We used the lodge as this was the most cost effective, with that said the price was still too high for a room of this quality. The saving grace at Lutsen is and has always been the resturant. The staff are of the highest standards and very profesional.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed in a Poplar River Condo Master unit at Lutsen Resort. This set up was the finest I have had in all the years I have made the North Shore my sanctuary. It was as if this unit was designed by architects trying to anticipate any need you might have during your stay away from your home comforts. Upon arrival, we were treated by the Lutsen Resort to a complimentary bottle of bubbly with two glasses to keep to take home. Nice touch. Included with the package was a dinner at the Lodge for one night and breakfast for two mornings. Both were used and joyfully so. Each dining experience was top notch. The food was terrific, especially the dinner, and the servers were attentive and knowledgable. The dining room, with its Lake Superior view was the normal appeal that has been my personal magnet for 60+ years.

The condo had everything. Complete kitchen, living room with space, a dining table surrounded by windows, a deck with table and chairs, an electric grill, a bathroom with a lovely shower and sliding glass door, hair dryer, coffee pot, refridge, microwave, wine opener, stove, double sink and lots of cupboard space with fully stocked dinner and glass ware, TV and VCR in living room and bedroom, a jaccuzi in the bedroom, ceiling fans and great Hunter Douglas window coverings on all windows (not a paid endorsement), a sliding in-the-wall door to shut off the bedroom and bathroom from the other living areas in the condo. If I forgot to mention any other fine touch, forgive me. This was why the experince was the best in 60+ years.

Great job Lutsen Properties!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank duluthharold
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I am a 37 year old Minnesota suburban wife/mom, and have been coming to the Lutsen area during the summer since I was a kid myself. My dad still takes our family, now with his grandkids too. We come every other year or so.

This June the guests included Nana and Papa, our 6 year old b/g twins and my husband. We all had a wonderful time on a week long vacation. Of my many experiences at Lutsen, this is the first time we have STAYED at Lutsen Resort and I would recommend it. We have stayed at Bluefin, Caribou Highland, etc in the past.

We spent a week in a CliffHouse three bedroom townhome and it was very nice. There is also a large whirlpool tub in the master sweet. My husband and I did find the mattress to be hard and flat. We also found the kitchen to be a little lacking. There is nothing to store any leftovers in, no saran wrap, etc, and the cooking utinsals are flimsy. I had a difficult time flipping my fried egg with the cheap spatula. We also REALLY wished we had access to the washer/dryer.. which we know is locked behind one of the those doors somewhere!!! The laundromat in Lutsen two miles away is clean, etc.

The kids enjoyed the indoor pool almost daily, since we had some cloudy skies. The pool is warm enough. The woodwork could use some upkeep due to condensation. The bathrooms off the pool are dated, but clean enough. Likewise, the shuffle board could use cosmetic upkeep and general upgrades.

We enjoyed the dining room.The on-site bar grill (Popular Lounge) is handy, put could also use updates for the tired look, and a few more healthy options to the menu. We wish this grill weren't so dark and removed from the beauty of everything else, since it is so convienent.

My husband and I did go on a sea kayak tour. We enjoyed this free resort excursion and appreciated the many other options offered by the resort, such as kid activities, yoga on the beach, and of COURSE the nighlty fires. This was a favorite thing for us, and we did enjoy a special Lake Superior brew from the Popular Lounge/Bar which we took down to the beach on several occasions too. My kids enjoyed several naturalist programs on the beach too. As an adult, I liked chatting and meeting other adults/parents by the fire, etc. in the comfortable adorandac chairs on the beach. It is acceptable to bring your own beverages too. You can get marshmellows from the front desk to roast and you can find sticks from the bushes/trees by the lake. Bring your own graham crackers and chocolate.

We enjoyed the staff, our kayak lead, etc. Everyone was accomodating and friendly where ever we went. I especially enjoyed the international staff from Bulgaria. All staff appear as if they "care" about this family owned resort and you do feel a family ownership presense.

My 6 year old son LOVED playing checkers on the big "rug" boards most evenings and the lodge in general is a very pleasant place to spend time.

Overall, I would highly recomment Lutsent Resort. There are many nice resorts in the area, and Lutsen Resort rates high in my book. We had a great trip. I would love to stay here again, as it is a good fit when traveling with multiple age groups. The beach and grounds are enjoyable and among the best of the resorts, which is why so many individuals who are NOT actually guests come to hang out on the beach and by the fire.

One thing my husband and I wished they might add - a simple wine tasting one night a week in the beautiful lobby area. Whatever the lodge wine vendor/distributor would want to supply, with the ability to buy a glass from the lodge and stroll the beach, while the kids are engaged in some sort of come and go/lead activity nearby....

...or a resort BBQ (for a charge) one night a week so guests can enjoy each other and the wonderful beach and grounds.

As a side note, we also saw several weddings and reunions over the course of our stay. Those parties looked pleased, and it was fun to "people watch" there activities.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AndreaMT844
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Best Western Plus Superior Inn & Suites
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Tofte - Lake Superior
East Bay Suites
East Bay Suites
#3 of 10 in Grand Marais
Caribou Highlands Lodge
Eagle Ridge at Lutsen Mountain
The Cliff Dweller on Lake Superior

Been to Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!