“great for ski trip”

Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Lutsen
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Drove up from Chicago with my kids (9,11) for 3 days of skiing on Lutsen Mountain and 3 nights at Lutsen Resort. The resort could not have been better for our needs. We stayed at one of the Poplar River condos - paid a little extra for the larger "Master" 1 bedroom condo, with full kitchen, dining area, large living area with fireplace and bedroom with whirlpool bath. The condo was in great condition and had a nice view of Lake Superior, about 150 yards down the hill. We did not use the resort's ski shuttle, preferring to drive ourselves the mile or so up to the ski area's parking.

While at the condo, we walked to the main lodge, which was maybe 1/3 of a mile away, down a series of stairs and across the river via a covered bridge. I liked the lodge a lot - it had character, a great fireplace and a great view of the lake. The one meal we had there (breakfast) was good. The indoor pool was fairly large, with a 9 foot deep end, but we did not swim, as going back and forth outside would have been a chilly experience - they provide dressing rooms, but we weren't up for that. Certainly would have used the pool if we had stayed in the lodge.

The staff was pleasant and helpful. Lutsen offers many activities during the summer that we weren't able to take advantage of in late March, but I think we will be back, as the resort would be an excellent base for biking or sea kayaking trips.

If you are going to visit this area, know that the two nearest towns are Tofte, 8 miles south, and Grand Marais, 20 miles north. There were no large grocery stores nearby, though limited supplies and alcohol could be obtained in the tiny town of Lutsen, 1 mile north.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Just returned from a 3 night stay at Lutsen Resort March 27-30. This was our 3rd time staying at the resort but first in the winter. Location is great, we skied one day, snow-shoed, swam and visited Grand Marais the next day. The staff was super friendly including the activities coordinator, the food in the lodge was great, and our 2 bedroom cabin was perfect for our family of 4. Only negative was no fitness room but you have all of the outdoors for that. A little overpriced but we did get the "buy 2 nights get the 3rd free discount" which helped and ate breakfasts in our kitchen every morning. We stayed in cabin 408 which was well maintained with panoramic views of Lake Superior. I would highly recommend both the cabin and resort to families looking for outdoor activities with good service.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Just returned from a short get-away from this popular Minnesota destination on the spectacular North Shore of Lake Superior. Been to the Lodge on several other occasions and stayed in more expensive rooms and had no problems. My experience on those occasions, lived up to the first class expectations advertised and expected. This time, minding my budget, I opted for an "economy" room: courtyard facing, single queen room. All good so far. Until I tried to sleep. The bed was as hard as a futon on a floor. My shoulders actually ached from trying to sleep on my side. Very uncomfortable. The room was over the dining room/kitchen, and the swinging doors from dining room-to-kitchen-to-bar/lounge kept thumping until well into wee-hours (1pm). Walls and ceiling paper thin. Heard every child, movie, video/electronic device's "beep" also well into the night. I awoke each morning to unsupervised children (aged 10 or less) running up and down the hall outside my room (spring break). The lovely lounge on the first floor overlooks the lake and boasts a beautiful fireplace (lit 24/7) and is, normally, a great place to sip a glass of wine after dinner, nurse your morning coffee with a paper, or just play a game of cribbage with your partner. Not this week, as many elementary-aged children ran amok, out of control, with their parents either absent or permitting the disruptive behavior. I would think that a property as "classy" as Lutsen would have, in print, expectations about childrens' behavior and parental responsibility whilst in public areas such as the lobby, gift shop, dining room and halls. At least, a written piece upon check-in to supervise your children. Tag in the lobby and dining room - really, Mom and Dad?!? As a parent, I abhor parents who feel that any "resort", is by default, a daycare. The lodge staff is NOT a keeper of "OPK" (Other People's Kids). I will never return here again when Minnesota elementary schools are on spring break. No peace. No quiet. Nor will I ever again pay the economy price, which should not offer an "economy" experience. I expect better from Lutsen. Resting on your laurels????

Room Tip: You get what you pay for. Pay more for a lake view room; you won't be over the kitchen! Weekda...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a place near Grand Marais to celebrate our anniversary and a birthday. We have 2 dogs that we were traveling with, so availability goes way down. We were able to find vacancy at the Lutsen Resort Sea Villa's. These are townhomes situated right on Lake Superior. When we arrived, wood was at our door ready to start a fire. We only needed a one-bedroom. The accomodations are not large, but there was a main floor bedroom and a loft with 2 twins. The kitchen appliances were updated and we found everything we needed for cooking. This is a cozy environment for a week-end, but it is not high luxury if that is what you are looking for. We wanted to explore the area which we did. Grand Marais shopping and dog sled ride in Tofte.
The sea villa resort has its own main lodge with swimming pool and hot tub.
Our bedroom faced the driveway so you are aware of cars driving in and out.
I would recommend this for a week-end getaway and can only imagine how great it would be during warmer months so that the doors and windows could be open listening to Lake Superior splash on the rocks.

Room Tip: Choose an end-unit.. minimizes the adjoining wall activities.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LoveKayaking
Reviewed March 18, 2013

As a native Minnesotan I have always appreciated the beauty of the North Shore year round. While I have been to the North Shore and Lutsen in spring, fall, summer, this was my first experience in the winter. I went with a close colleague/ friend for a long ski weekend. We rended one of the Poplar River condos at Lutsen resort. To put it mildly, the views were breathtaking, condo well kept up, and our experience heavenly. I have stayed at some of the other resorts in the area but as of now, this is my favorite, especially with the incredible views of Lake Superior.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed in a Poplar River Condo and in the main lodge. The Condo was great and a fun walk. The room was older but fine.

Inspired: Nickie and Rod were awesome as always!

Pro: food was incredible, staff nice, use of cross country skis fantastic, cool views, live music, fun atmosphere, great history

Con: nothing - great place to visit regularly

Return: you bet!

Found: via Bidding For Good

Reviewed March 5, 2013

A room above the kitchen. I guess thats why we had to listen to klanking and banging and music until the kitchen closed. Of course it doubles as an alarm clock because they start banging pots and pans around at 6am. A whistling noise of somekind probably related to the heating system kept me awake most of the night.The bathroom door had a hole in it the size of a silver dollar near the handle. No bathroom fan so bring a candle.
The food at the resteraunt was terrific.

Room Tip: Dont let them put you above the kitchen!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dmiller46b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lutsen
Best Western Plus Superior Inn
Aspen Lodge
Aspen Lodge
#8 of 10 in Grand Marais
Caribou Highlands Lodge

Been to Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior? Share your experiences!