“Great View, Average Food”

Papa Charlie's Tavern & Stage
Ranked #4 of 8 Restaurants in Lutsen
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Serving lunch, dinner, and the region's best entertainment, Papa Charlie's has something for everyone! Whether you're looking for family dining with a view, gathering with friends at the bar, outdoor dining on the scenic deck, a spirited game of fusball, watching the game on the big screen or the region's best musical entertainment during the ski season, it's the place to be at Lutsen Mountains. So enjoy your favorite beverage, shoot pool, play games, relax and have fun.
Reviewed October 8, 2011

During our stay at Eagle Ridge, we visited Papa Charlie's for drinks and appetizers. The weather was unseasonably warm and we enjoyed the view from their deck. Our drinks were good and the appetizer (nachos) was average. The bartender/server was a bit slow, but the service was good overall.

Reviewed September 18, 2011

I've had great service and horrible service. The food can also very. The biggest determining factor seems to be how busy it is. Makes sense, but doesn't change what I expect. I've been there often enough to know it can go both ways. I always hope for a more experienced bartender.

Reviewed August 1, 2011

Food was good! I think some of the other reviews are a bit harsh. Yes- the bartenders aren't the best- but food was served in a reasonable time period and it wasn't over priced considering it is next to a ski lodge. I would go back again.

Reviewed February 22, 2011

My boyfriend and I went up to Lutsen for a day of skiing on our "winter getaway" this year. After several hours of skiing we were ready for a hot drink and some food. We entered through the restaurant door where a young hostess just starred at us. We asked where the bar was and she directed us down the stairs... without ever offering a menu, saying hello, or even smiling! I hate to be too much of a downer on that first impression so we saddled up to the bar and ordered a drink and a shot each. The bartender said nothing... other than $42.50. We figured we would pay outragous amounts at a place where there is no other bar...so we laughed it off and figured,
"whatever, we're on vacation..." and then asked to start a tab. She took my credit card and then basically disappeared. We were out of drinks for about 15 minutes when finally some bartenders arrived back behind the bar... and helped no one. They ignored you if your drink was empty!! So... we waited... and only because she had our credit card. The 4 kids next to us were out of a drink for at least 15 minutes and wanted to order food.... by the time we left 25 minutes later, they hadn't even ordered yet. I watched dozens of couples who walked up for a drink walk right out after a few minutes. I believe our servers name was Yvonne (at first)... who NEVER once came back after our first drink. We then asked an older gray haired man for a drink and he was irriated as if we had bothered him. (I believe his name was Tim). When I finally asked for my tab, he brought it over and for the first time we had been there, I got a smile... and it was followed by, "Sorry for the wait" and then he went about his business. I left him a zero dollar tip. Almost a half an hour for a drink!!! I can't imagine what food service would have been like... or a hotel stay. This made me think poorly of the whole establishment.(although upstairs the Chalet across from this place has a little bar, and that was at least friendly!) My boyfriend and I went in there with high spirits after a great afternoon and left as if they took the wind out of our sail! Hate to say, as I have worked in this industry, but this place should be shut down, or someone needs to clean house on their servers!) And just a tip to the servers: This is called the "service industry" because you make money based on your service. You are not "owed" a tip because you are a server; you earn it.

If you're looking for an after a day of skiitng cocktail.. drive the 1.8 miles down the road to Lutsen resort and ask for Don! Great food and great service. That's all we wanted and we got it there!

3  Thank TravelCrazyC0uple
Reviewed November 27, 2010

11/27/2010
This place was not friendly in atmosphere or staffing. It is rare to see 6 people get up and leave after being seated only 10 minutes. The waiter was terribly rude and told us after we ordered appetizers and drinks, that our child with his own crackers could not eat them in their restaurant. "No outside food was allowed inside our restaurant." Wow unbelievable. The chairs felt like they were going to fall apart and two 8 oz "shakes" were nearly $12!
What a cold and rude place. Where is the laid back Minnesota Nice?

2  Thank Sublimaze

Been to Papa Charlie's Tavern & Stage? Share your experiences!