“Great Food- Great Experience”

Carlito's Mexican Restaurant and Cantina
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Had heard about the place from a friend, he had stopped in before and suggested it as a place to go last Sat. evening. His wife, my wife and I had not been there before, so it sounded good to us..Needless to say it was fantastic, as others have said, you are pretty much on your own after Jill seats you, if they are busy you will be getting your own chips and salsa ( that are home made) and taste great. Suggest not filling up on them. Beers and Margaritas are self serve. Menu is on the wall - no prices. Jill says they are cheap and not to worry-she says she will be getting to that- one of these days.
The place was full, and we were not in a big hurry and you don't want to be. Had fun watching the "newbies" as she called us and others, figuring out the scheme of things.
Food was excellant!!!! & priced as she said they would be.
Will recommend to anyone for a unique and wonderful mexican meal.
We will be back.

1  Thank David R

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Carlito's is a casual place-similar to something you would find at the beach-where you serve yourself drinks and chips/salsa. The owner greets everyone and doubles as the waitress/hostess. They have a very small crew working so it is reasonable to have this type of set up. The menu hangs from the wall and has many options to choose from. The chips are homemade and the salsa is fresh. We had fajitas and a chimichanga which were great. The meat was plentiful and tender with excellent seasoning. All the plates come with beans and rice which were also very good. Don't let the one bad review keep you away. Just be aware that this place fills up and they don't have a large staff so if the owner/hostess gets stressed sometimes it is easy to understand.

calgalinmn1956, online manager at Carlito's Mexican Restaurant and Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal and your visit to Carlito's. We so appreciate that you took time to review Carlito's on TripAdvisor and would like to thank you for your kind words. Jill and crew will look forward to seeing you again on your next visit!

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I was a regular customer sorry to say not anymore! I was there last Sunday (July 7,2013) and I walked in with someone else for a sit down meal and in front of the whole entire restaurant including people at the register that were paying she yells "NOPE WE'RE FULL YOU GUYS GOTTA LEAVE"! And so we turned right back around and left but noticed 4 other people walking in after us and apparently stayed to eat because they never came out. I was not only embarrassed in front of everyone but very angry that I was treated less than the people that walked in after us. She could have said you guys are welcome to wait at the table outside and enjoy a margarita meanwhile a table opens but no she would have rather lost a customer that always recommends a lot of people to eat there, not anymore though.~~ LeeAnn

7  Thank LeeAnn G
calgalinmn1956, online manager at Carlito's Mexican Restaurant and Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

On behalf of Carlito's, I would like to apologize for the way you were treated during this visit. I spoke to Jill about your review, and she does not remember this specific incident, however she did recognize you as a good customer. Jill works hard to make sure her customers have an enjoyable experience at her restaurant, and in this case I can only guess that she was working a bit too hard letting the stress at the end of a long week get to her. The restaurant does have a seating limit, so that could explain why she was unable to seat you. As for the customers who went in after you, once again my guess is that they may have called ahead for a reservation. Carlito's is a unique place, and I'm sure that you have had many good times there. While I don't blame you for being upset over this incident, I hope you will give Carlito's another chance sometime in the future.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were out riding our motorcycles and I found this online as an interesting place to go. It was easy to find in the strip mall off of Hwy 12. Jill, the owner, is a character. I love to go to a one of a kind place like this. When you go in, you can help yourself to chips, salsa and a drink. Jill will come over and talk to you about what you like to eat. There is sort of a menu but really she just listens to what kind of thing you want and makes it. I am always looking for a place to have fish tacos and these were good. Most meals with a soda and the chips are just under $10. The decor is kitsch. A good time was had by all.

calgalinmn1956, online manager at Carlito's Mexican Restaurant and Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

We're glad you found us, and that you enjoyed your visit to Carlito's. So nice of you to take the time to write about us on Tripadvisor. Now that you know where we are, we hope to see you again soon! Many thanks.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

It is a friendly down home place to go. The minute you walk in the door you are greeted by Jill Swisher the Owner. If you want to go to a place that you will have a great time, feel welcome, great food, and meet great people this is the place.

Many thanks for taking the time to review Carlito's. Jill loves serving great food to her customers, and is so pleased when you do feel at home, and enjoy the experience. Hope to see you again soon!