“"Beautiful scenery, unhospitable environment"”
Review of Berwood Hill Inn

Berwood Hill Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lanesboro
Berwood Hill Inn
Ranked #17 of 17 Lanesboro B&B and Inns
Waconia, Minnesota
“"Beautiful scenery, unhospitable environment"”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I was there for a family wedding. The location was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, the overall feeling of the stay was very uncomfortable. The staff seemed very "put out" by us being there. The staff often had an attitude and were downright rude. It is too bad that such a beautiful place to hold a wedding can leave such a sour taste in your mouth. Lanesboro is an absolutely gorgeous area. There are many B & B's in the area, many I am sure would be a very warm and welcoming environment to hold a wedding, this is not one of them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank mby43603
berwood1, Guest Relations Manager at Berwood Hill Inn, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Berwood Hill Inn is an award winning Bed and Breakfast located in Southeastern Minnesota. Since it's opening in 1998, the Inn has gained national recognition for both its beauty and hospitality offered. We take great pride in making guests feel specia. We have had many functions at Berwood, and weddings are truly our specialty. The Inn has received many compliments due to the staff and the ambience created as we endeavor to heighten the overall experience.

We were quite disappointed by this review.

Unfortunately, this was the only wedding that our staff has had to shut down due to excessive drinking and raucous behavior. The wedding party began drinking in the early afternoon and never stopped until last call at 11:30. At that time an altercation took place between their bartender and one of our staff members. Our staff became frightened and was forced to close the party down.

Even under these circumstances, no one was asked to leave the premesis. Once everyone had calmed down, our staff escorted guests to their rooms to "sleep it off". Meanwhile, a full gourmet breakfast was being prepared for them, and was served when they awoke. The contract included a continental breakfast, however, our staff members were still making every effort to maintain Berwoods standards of excellence.

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed September 3, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Berwood Inn in the Sunrise Room. The decor was lovely and very comfortable. We truly appreciated the beautiful gardens to stroll in and enjoy the countryside. Sharon welcomed us on arrival and offered us a tour of the home. The hospitality was excellent and the breakfast was delicious. We will be coming back again to this wonderful getaway......

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank turquoise90
fridley
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I think we've stayed there seven times. Brought multiple couples there to share the experience. We still go each year, but here's the food skinny. When they had a 'real' executive chef living there "Wayne" made the food experience incredible. Since his departure a few years ago, everything food related changed. We've tried 3 times to have the private dinner on site; bringing high end wines and sparkling there to pair with the food - as we used to do, but alas all three meals were complete disasters from a foodie perspective. SO sad. So with that said- to go from an exec. chef in a white coat and a chef hat to young girls that were house maids trying to learn his recipes and such and serve in plain clothes. Ahhhh nope, nada, not even in the ball park. Cost of a good chef on site in a rural town for a 150./200 per couple meal without good wine. PRICELESS.
Ya gotta understand the owners issues of profitability and getting a quality person to live down there, but geeze, it's not the fillet at applebees or shrimp at red lobster here....
On a positive ending, It's SO romantic and relaxing there. The old school house in town across from the groc. store still serves Great Food, and a descent wine list as of '09 and the commonweal theatre is a must and looks to have a nice dining experience going on the higher end.
PS. a good book, Ipod, Scrabble or Yatzee in the out door gazebos with a few bottles of champagne and chocolate in the summer/fall for an afternoon can't be beat. (pack it in your trunk:)

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank cto56
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 9, 2009

This was our second trip to the Berwood Hill Farm Inn. This is a B and B in a most magnificent setting. It is a lovingly restored farm house located on a secluded hill with long, stunning views of the lush surrounding rolling hills of southern Minnesota farm land. The grounds are charming, with many gardens and sculptures. There are great bike paths and canoeing nearby and the charming town of Lanesboro five minutes away. The first trip years ago was, in every way, lovely. This time the setting was still magnificent and the staff and fellow guests friendly; however, the rooms have become unacceptably cluttered with antiques and the breakfast food was extremely unhealthy. The numerous antiques are charming, but got in the way when trying to relax in our room.The breakfast was five courses of extreme sweetness and/or fat. A little bit of sweet and fat is fine, but to have no healthier options offered was unacceptable. If they modify their menu to include some healthier options and remove a few antiques from the guest rooms, we would be very happy to return and to recommend this fine inn to others.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ravens44
Bloomington, MN
Reviewed August 3, 2009

A friend and I spent two days at the Berwood Hill Inn in July, 2009. I had visited the inn for a wedding last summer and had really high expectations for our stay. Everything was perfect ,except for the food. I know that the inn was a food destination in the past ,but now this has drastically changed. I was told by the booking agent that the inn had a new cook, but I was assured the quality of the food remained the same. When I chose the inn for a birthday get-away, the thought of the delicious food that I heard about was at least 50% of my anticipation for our stay.

The breakfasts were beautifully presented but the quality was average. The coffee was really weak and the food that should be hot was warm, at best. The second day we had banana bread french toast. It was as cloyingly sweet as it sounds. We also had a gray soupy potato dish that was tasty but wasn't appetizing in appearance. Both mornings we had the same very sweet cherry cobbler for dessert. (The idea of dessert after breakfast never occured to me. )

Dinner was the biggest disappointment. We were signed up for the dinner with wine for $55.00. The regular dinner was $40.00. The wine turned out to be Charles Shaw "two buck chuck " from Trader Joe's. My steak was huge but so dry and tough I only took one bite. My friend had chicken which was better than the steak ,but it had a grocery store quality alfredo sauce on it. Our salads had bottled dressing and the biscuits we were served were burned on the bottom.

When I visited the inn last summer each room had beautiful caramel apples and a tray of beautiful scones. On our visit we had a tray of those coconut, chocolate chip and sweetened condensed milk bars. The second day we had a very sad and dry chocolate (I think) bar.

When I relayed our experience to the booking agent she refused to refund the money for our uneaten dinners. We did tell ou server that we thought $30.00 was a bit steep for a $2.00 bottle of wine. They graciously took the extra $15.00 off our dinner bill.

I was especially disappointed that the inn refused to make things right with us. At this point I would never go back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank luvztraveling

Been to Berwood Hill Inn? Share your experiences!