“Enjoyable Stay!”
Review of Cottage House Inn

Cottage House Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lanesboro
Cottage House Inn
Ranked #11 of 17 Lanesboro B&B and Inns
Modesto, California
“Enjoyable Stay!”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for five nights as part of a Road Scholar biking tour. This turned out to be a great choice for myself and the group. I had my own room with one bed. The room was clean, neat and pleasant. I had no concerns other than the walls seemed a little thin as I could hear the people in the next room. I cannot comment on the price of the room as it was part of the tour price. Our group had breakfast in the common room each morning and the breakfast was always varied and quite good. Not a large number of offerings, but enough for a decent breakfast. The breakfasts during the week consisted of pancakes, waffles, nut breads, muffins, baked oatmeal, french toast, cereals, yogurt, fruit, etc. The Cottage House Inn is family owned and the innkeeper Lynn was quite pleasant and welcoming to our group. I could not get coverage for my Iphone during this week due to limitations in this area. There is a phone in the main sitting area that guests can use to call long distance free of charge. I thought this was a nice plus to staying in this lodging. The Inn also has a conference room which is a nice gathering place for groups. The location of the Inn is also very nice. Located close to the Root River Trail, restaurants, shops and right across the street from the Commonweal Theater. Lanesboro is a great town and a wonderful destination for travelers. Bikers will love the Root River Trail, an exceptional, long and scenic paved trail that winds along the Root River and through forests, farmlands and small towns. The Commonweal Theater is a great theater company for such a small town. The quality of the plays, talent of the actors and facility will amaze you. Be sure to take a walk around Lanesboro as the town is pretty and historic and is surrounded by forest covered bluffs. The fall colors on the bluffs and around the town were wonderful. There are 13 B & B's here as well as other historic homes to see. There is a dam with waterfall at the end of the town, across from the park. If you walk up to Church Hill you will see two beautiful churches and have great views of the town below. The small Lanesboro Museum is worth a stop as well with interesting and unusual historic exhibits from the area. We ate at several great restaurants including Intermission (across the street), the Old Town Hall and Pedal Pushers. I would highly recommend Lanesboro and the Cottage House Inn!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The Cottage House Inn is in a great location, close to the Root River Bike Path and Lanesboro's restaurants and shops. It is a no frills inn, no TV's in the rooms, no coffee pot, no shampoo, lotions etc. There is a TV in the sitting room, communal refrigerator, ice, microwave and coffee in the kitchen and a large game/ community room. The WI-fi for some reason comes and goes. It is an old building and if you have noisy children above you, they can be heard. The best feature is the large porch to sit and watch the world go by. The staff is friendly and very helpful. It is a family owned inn and we got to know the staff from year to year. The prices are reasonable for the area. The Commonweal Theater is a must, and we really enjoyed the Intermission restaurant, both across the street. If you are looking for a sandwich etc. Pedal Pushers is always good. Another great restaurant with good food and reasonable prices is the Quarter Quarter restaurant in Harmony. Don't miss the Amish Tours. A great little town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
FDL, WI
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Have stayed at Cottage House Inn 2 times now and enjoyed myself both times. As has been said, this hotel is right in the middle of Lanesboro and the bicycle trails are easily accesible. The rooms are very clean although somewhat basic. Personally I found no TV to be a plus rather than the negative expressed by one reviewer. There are several common meeting areas with a communal refrigerator and plenty of glasses (water, wine, even champagne) provided for the guests use, so bring any of your own drinks and enjoy them inside or out on the wonderful porch overlooking the main street. Secure bicycle storage is also provided and I thought there was plenty of parking

My only negative was the breakfast (eggs, fresh fruit, pancakes, organge juice) seemed priced too high ($8.00/per person). The staff was friendly and courteous, but not especitally talkative or engaging. But after losing my room key I expected a fee for replacement instead the desk person gave me a new one and asked that if I find it to just mail it back! The rooms in back were very quiet, but my friends reported that the front ones were noisy with street traffic.

I have enjoyed the Cottage House Inn and expect I will be back again next year.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are quieter and a little roomier than the ones in front.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 23, 2012

You get a very basic, clean, inn type room at a reasonable price. No TV, and Internet in the rooms is iffy (Internet on the front porch and inside the common room). Breakfast is a seperate charge, which I've not tried because it starts late (8 am).

• Stayed August 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 10, 2012

This inn is in the center of downtown Lanesboro and an easy walk to just about anywhere. We walked one block to rent bicycles to ride the Root River Trail. We walked one block the other direction to hop in the van for our Bluffscapes Amish Tour (great tour and highly recommended). Also, the inn is right across the street from the Commonweal Theatre. Lovely front porch to sit on in the evening. The rooms were clean, albeit somewhat simple. Had to ask for a blow dryer for my hair, and I'm glad they had one at no charge. No TV's in the rooms, which forced us to really be on vacation. I'd definitely stay there again - room rates were very reasonable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My wife and I spent two nights at the Cottage House Inn in September 2011. We assumed we would be staying at a Bed and Breakfast. Instead, we were given a room in an adjacent building which was more like an economy class motel. The room was clean but no frills. Breakfast was available for an additional charge in the main building. Breakfast was good but nothing particularly special about it. We missed the kind of spirit that we have experienced when staying at a B&B. The staff were polite but not particularly interested in engaging in conversation. The small town of Lanesboro has more than a dozen B&Bs, unless you want to stay downtown I think you could do better than the Cottage House Inn. It is ideally located in the downtown of Lanesboro. We highly recommend the Commonweal Theatre. The play that we saw was very well done. We also recommend the Old Village Hall Restaurant. The areas is especially well-known for its bike trails.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the Main Inn.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skr33ch
Illinois City, Illinois
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Very clean rooms, good location and reasonalbe prices. Bike storage was handy and secure. Felt like we could come and go easily. When we had a question about area attractions, staff was helpful and made good recommendations. Nice outdoor porch area. If in the area, be sure to get to WHALAN - Aroma Pies. In Lanesboro, we enjoyed the Pedal Pushers cafe for lunch. The hotel offers optional breakfast at 8:00 am, which is a bit late for our day ... so we tried out CHAT N CHEW which opens at 6:00 am. Simple and good food. Bike trails were fantastic and we also took an afternoon to visit Mystery Cave at the State Park. We had a good experience at Cottage House Inn and would return on future visits.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank abc12399

Been to Cottage House Inn? Share your experiences!