All reviews water bungalow our waiter other islands fish small island dive school octopus room boy beach towels marine life asian night budget resort coral gardens different theme per day eagle rays ceiling fan
Reviewed August 4, 2010

well if youre expecting a five star luxury spa , Dont , but this place is ideally situated and its in a beautiful part of the world . I highly recommend you have a water bungalow as the standard is still basic but more luxuirious than the other rooms . You can upgrade to all inclusive for a small price and you get good branded drinks , the food is very standard yet also very tasty and god variation .If you want the maldivian beauty at a much smaller budget with an open view this is the place .You will find you are seated at lunch with other couples or families but hey this means there are no long waits at dinner .All you need is your camera , swimwear , own towel ,and an open mind with just relaxation in mind and you will enjoy this small beautiful island ....If you want to be pampered with a spa , plush fittings and highly presented staff then keep saving the extra £3000 for another island !!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank minimike
Reviewed July 28, 2010

This was my first time to the Maldives. We went in July (the rainy season) however their was minimal rain and when it did it was for 10 minutes then stopped. Thgis happened 3 times in a week so dont let this put you off. Temperature was between 30-35 celcius every day. Embudu Village was amazing!! I will start with the negatives. We flew with Thompson which was not comfortable and the cabin crew let the airline down massively. 11 hours from the UK with rubbish food and expensive/unavailable rereshments. Anyway lets talk more about Embudu. We arrived at Male airport and waited about 30 mins for our boat which was fine but extrememly hot! The boat arrived and we set off, even in the Harbour at Male airport the water was clear blue. The boat slowed a couple of times to allow us to see dolphins which was amazing. Embudu is the 2nd island from Male and only takes about 30 mins by dhoni (boat). When we got to the Jetty at Embudu it was enough to take my breath away. White sand, clear sea and palm trees. We walked down the Jetty and into the reception where we were greeted by a cold flannel and a fruit cocktail. The reception is indoors however open on both sides with sand on the floors. I took my flip flops off and didnt put them back on until we left!! We upgraded to All inclusive at the hotel $28 pp per day which is a lot cheaper than doing it through the tour operator. All inclusive option entitles you to free drinks (unlimited, all alcohol is branded e.g Bacardi, Smirnoff etc) and an afternoon snack. I would highly reccomend you upgrade as drinks are expensive. My brother in law and sister had 25 Rum and cokes on the first day which should have been $175.00!!!! Our bags were taken to our rooms and we tipped the guys a dollar (take a bundle of $1 notes for tipping). The rooms are basic, we stayed in superior rooms, double bed, fridge, wardrobe, air con and a shower. They could do with updating but if your anything like me you will only be in their for a siesta in the afternoon and to sleep at night. We went for lunch which was excellent, buffet style. All meals were perfect and if their is nothing you like they will cook you somthing. We went with a fussy eater who always found something. Each night the theme of food changes. This included Asian, Italian, Barbeque, Carvery and Flambe. The beaches were amazing with white sands and clear blue sea and an amazing reef to go snorkelling or diving. We saw so many fish including angel fish, "Nemo's and reef sharks!! We went for a trip to Male which isnt really worth it unless your a smoker ($1 per pack!). My family went on the submarine excursion which they said was amazing!! This cost $55 pp.
All in all Embudu isnt one of the luxury Maldivian islands however if you want a no frills paradise island then go their. Staff amazing, island amazing, Embudu........amazing.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank machell21
Reviewed July 14, 2010

In case anyone reading this review thinks I am one of those spoilt moaners who are never happy with anything I should like to mention that, up to now. I have only had excellent things to say on TripAdviser with no negative remarks for all the hotels we have stayed in.

The first time we visited Embudu at the end of November 2007 I hadn't used TripAdviser and picked it mainly on price through Portland Direct We had only snorkelled before in Australia. In 2008 we went to Vilamendhoo which was very good. We particularly liked our open air bathroom. We also had an excellent briefing and were given a map Having returned to Embudu in December 2009 I realised that Vilamendhoo's reef is easier to swim round as it has more entrances and exits than Embudu's reef.

We didn't realise on our first visit to Embudu, as we were complete novices to snorkelling in the Maldives, that we should have had a map because the currents are quite strong round reefs. When I went round to the dive school to ask whether anyone could show us round the reef I got no advice or, more importantly, no map. I don't remember there being a briefing but maybe I missed noticing it on the information sheet. Fortunately, after a few days, we began talking to a lovely French couple who were very experienced and took us out to the reef with them.

On our second trip to the Maldives to Vilamendhoo we met up with a couple whose son was a dive instructor; they told us how easily swimmers can get into serious difficulties. In fact, whilst we were in Vilamendhoo, a very experienced German diver decided to swim out a little to observe some dolphins; he suddenly realised that he was getting swept out by the current and had great difficulty in swimming back. The English couple had been recommended Embudu by a German visitor and he had drawn them a map with the currents which they e-mailed to me later. On our second trip to Embudu, however, we were given a map anyway. We loved the turtles and the Coral Garden is the best place to see them.

We had a very well situated semi-detached bungalow on our first trip to Embudu with a table and parasol on the sand and a lovely view to the sea. We looked inside a water bungalow and decided that we would like to stay in one if we ever visited again which we did this time. We paid under £1,000 for full board for the only water bungalow which Portland Direct and Thomson share because we booked very early. We had perfect weather with no rain for the whole week but it was a bit windy at times which seemed to make the currents stronger. We had a balcony over the sea which was in the shade most of the time and was a lovely place to sit and keep cool There was a large fruit basket waiting for us and a most welcome flask of fresh drinking water which was replenished every day as well as a fridge, TV and tea and coffee making facilities. I don't think anybody has mentioned this or that one pays for bottles of water in the restaurant at dinner. For the first time, besides taking tea bags, I put some fresh milk in a cool bag in my suitcase and, in spite of the very hot temperature, it arrived perfectly cool and lasted fresh for the whole week. The water bungalows are lovely and if people want 5 star then they need to go to a commercial resort and pay a lot more but I have noticed that usually these resorts don't have good reefs. I personally go for the snorkelling, the beautiful fish, the idyllic atolls, the sunsets etc.

The food the second time round was even better than our first visit. I think the chefs work very hard to please everyone.

Although the flight is very long I think one week is enough for us. Now for my negative remarks - the first I have written on TripAdviser so far. The Canadian dive instructor I found excessively rude and unpleasant. The resort is mainly full of Germans with a sprinkling of other nationalities. The briefing on our first day was not that obvious; I was only aware of it because the couple who we had met in Vilamendhoo told us to go to it. We both had wanted to stay in a water bungalow in the same week but as Thomson/Portland Direct only have one we went on different weeks. We turned up about 7 minutes late as I had just had a shower to find no-one there. We went round to the dive centre; the Canadian who was supposed to have given the briefing said he left because no-one had turned up. He said that the English never turned up to the briefings anyway. He proceeded to give me a concise briefing with a small map instead of the large map which he had taken upstairs. A day or two later I heppened to be by the excellent jewellery shop talking to the very pleasant Sri Lankan assistant when I noticed outside the shop a dive instructor was giving a briefing to a large group of Germans who had just arrived. As I understand German I went out of the shop to listen and realised that the Canadian dive instructor had not given me a proper briefing at all. When I followed the burly dive instructor, I think he was German, he cut me dead and refused to speak to me. I went back to the Canadian dive instructor to ask him why he hadn't given me a proper briefing. He said that I was so excited I wasn't listening to him and that I seemed to already know it all anyway. After that he gave me the proper briefing. Not good enough dive school. In fact I have never experienced people such rude people in any resort. Just because there are very few English visitors and very few go to briefings doesn't mean that the few who want to go to a briefing should be treated in this way. If the truth be told he probably couldn't be bothered to give a briefing to the 3 of us. Considering how dangerous we have been told snorkelling can be Embudu should watch out that they don't have a fatality. The other English couple and I felt there were too high a proportion of Germans in Embudu.

On our first trip to Embudu we had a lovely boy in the restaurant who amused us with party tricks. On our last day we had our table decorated with the most beautiful flowers. This time we were unfortunate to have a very young boy who hardly spoke to us. He seemed to spend his time at other tables and even called us 'peculiar'. He asked my daughter if she fancies Maldivian men. He told us that he had visited his cousin in Germany on several occasions and he seemed more interested in talking to the German visitors. He was hoping to go to work in a five star resort where his uncle was a manager so that he would have a better position. He plonked some artificial flowers down on our table which stayed there even on our last day which he obviously thought they were the height of sophistication. Unlike the other guests, we didn't get the lovely fresh flower decorations. We didn't say anything at the time as we didn't want to cause any unpleasantness but he and the dive instructor did rather spoil what was otherwise an idyllic week.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank amazingfuntraveller
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We stayed in a water bunglaow in Embudu. Its a budget hotel but the staff are absolutely lovely and the rooms were pretty good. The water bungalows are right by the beach and they come with a TV and phone.
They also have a place to rent snorkelling equipment. The reef is absolutely fabulous and we saw amazing marine life. the beaches all around are great for swimming and sun bathing.
The food is buffet for all 3 meals and they have a good variety of Asian and international food with a selection of salads and fruits.
All in all its a good place to relax if you want a non luxorious holiday .

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank anarchy118
Reviewed June 18, 2010

I stayed here for 1 wk all inclusive, the island is beautiful.
My parents travel to the Maldives on a regular basis for scuba diving - I just done a bit of snorkling.
The food is plentiful and to a good standard - afternoon sandwiches consist of tuna with coffee available for all ( the best tuna I have had ever!)
The rooms where basic but very clean, the staff where very good and where in our room regularly cleaning anything they could!
For the price we paid I would say its a very good budget island - obviously if I where staying at a boutique resort 5* place I would have expected a bit more but this is a 2* island with clean and fresh rooms, good food and drinks.
For a relaxing break for under £800 who could complain?

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with friends