All reviews water bungalow our waiter other islands fish small island dive school octopus room boy beach towels marine life asian night budget resort coral gardens different theme per day eagle rays ceiling fan
Reviewed April 26, 2009

Every few years we like to visit the Maldives, so by now we know a few islands, but never before were we so disappointed.

Before our trip we reserved a Superior room located between 74 – 81, because the water bungalows were already fully booked but at our arrival we got room 89 which was not nicely positioned and was disgustingly dirty. When we complained the reception manager lied to us by saying that they had no other bungalows available and that we might maybe be able to change only sometime during the week.

After we toured the island we found at least 4 empty rooms with new guests arriving the next day. Back to reception we really had to fight for it, but ultimately we were able to change from 89 to 41. At that point we wouldn’t have minded leaving the island and in retrospect I wish we had insisted on it.

From the beginning we were put down by the rude and hostile attitude of the hotel manager. His manner and tone were more than offensive from the start and in our eyes he is a liability for the future of the island.

Better positioned bungalows are also 37 – 44. Avoid at all costs the double bungalows, as they are quite close to the generators and have no view.
I have been told that the water bungalows have a better standard, but I would only recommend 201 – 205, as the rest of them have the very loud and smelly generators right behind their back.

The standard of the "Superior" rooms is horrendous. All rooms we saw are in the same appalling conditions; mouldy ceilings, rusty and filthy bathrooms, shabby old furniture and stained spreadsheets.

Furthermore, throughout the island one is followed by the continuous humming of the huge generators and the Diesel tank, which are located in the middle of the island and you just can’t escape that never-ending noise, not even on the beach.

In the dining room it is allowed to smoke, even at breakfast. During the meals people are almost fighting for the food and one has to be fast enough to get the best bits and the one choice of fruit available. If you arrive too late, the best will be gone and is not often replaced.

In general they allocate you a fix table for the whole stay with other guests. You can get a single table only by insisting.

The service is non-existent. You get a burned coffee during the meals and if by any chance you wish a coffee after the three meals they send you back and forth from the bar to the kitchen until you resign yourself to another choice of drink. Even though their bar list offers three coffee variations, in reality you can only get the burned coffee or a salty-tasting black tea.

The reef is extraordinary but we disliked the fact that you have to mark your place on the beach in the early morning, otherwise the best spots will be taken.

They offer two shopping trips, one to Male on Thursday from 13.00 – 17.00h and one to Maafushi - good for shopping - on Saturday (whole day, including other two islands stops). If you arrive/depart on a Sat. like us you can only rent a private boat from Reception, which we did at USD 130. However, be aware that on a Friday all shops on Maafushi are closed. We couldn’t get the boat on another day and Reception simply forgot to mention this small issue...

In general, we very much disliked the bungalows, the generators and the arrogance of the whole personnel, they just don’t care as they know that you will only stay a short while and more like you are coming anyway (mostly because of the reef), without them having to make any efforts.

Having been several times on the Maldives, we can sincerely say that this is the worst island we have experienced so far and we wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
16  Thank lori05
Reviewed April 14, 2009

Whichever resort you choose in Maldives, it must be paradise and relaxation. I believe that Embudu Village would be the most reasonable resort. This is not super gorgeous, still you can spoil yourselves. Why not ?

There is an entertainment night once a week. (yes, only one night)
Followings are free of charge: Badminton, Darts, Table tennice, soccer and valleyball.
Buffet menu varies every night. Here is what I savoured; Steak for first night, Italian for second night, Chinese for 3rd night,,,, Breakfast and lunch also varies every day slightly.
Island Hopping on Saturday, Male shoppping on thursday afternoon, Night fishing on Friday etc.

My flight arrived Male airport around 22:00. I was afraid that I would have to end up staying at a hotel in Male on the night, but they provided me (and other guests) a transter even if it was around 22:30. My return flight was also night one. The transfer from Embudu was scheduled to leave at 17:00 and they gave me a box of sandwich as dinner buffet starts only at 19:30. How thoughtful !
Even if check-out time is 12:00, they allowed me to use a room till my departure with no extra charge.

The room I stayed was Superior, which is well equipped with hot shower, Hair Dryer, A/C, telephone and mini fridge, but if you need a TV, you should stay at a water bungalow. Superior Water Bungalows come with bathtub with Jacuzzi and tea/coffee maker, too. There is a TV close to reception for anyone, though.

I had heard that major guests here are German but Embudu village welcomed me, a Japanese, warmly.
I just loved it there.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
11  Thank mamacita1001
Reviewed April 3, 2009

i tried my very best to fault embudu village but couldn't really find anything that wasn't superb, food was great, red hot sunshine, perfect really, came home so chilled out Ive started talking in a Rastafarian accent! don't go if you want to do something energetic.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank HuddersfieldDave
Reviewed March 23, 2009

Embudu.... a small atol, rooms are adequate, air con , fridge etc, but now we talk... food was great, varied, hot, well presented, all inc is a must, lovely cold draught beer, Lion, San Mig. served with a smile always, staff are Ace. this island is unspoilt as of yet, fantastic reef, but watch the currents, it splits round the island and can catch you out if not a good swimmer,plenty to see. turtles,triggers,jacks, sharks, the list goes on, coral is nice too, mostly Germans there, so that speaks for itself, the islanders love the brits, as they are polite, look after them when tipping, they earn Zilch, cant wait to return 2010.... spartacus

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IM_SPARTACUS
Reviewed March 18, 2009

We got back from Embudu on Monday on 9th March after 2 lovely weeks. We usually go to Meeru Island, which is our favourite, but we fancied trying somewhere with a better reef.
We were in one of the water bungalows for the two weeks and the size and cleanliness was perfect, There as a small kettle with tea, coffe, coffee mate and sugar, a small fridge which was empty and a safe. There was also a fantastic glass panal, about 3 foot by 3 foot in the floor by the bed which was fantastic for fish watching at night when the light was on below your room
The only frustrating thing about the water villas is that you cannot enter the water from the deck so you have to trudge through your room, out on to the decking and find somewhere to enter the water to cool down. Obviousely, after your cooling swim, you trudge wet bodies back through your room, dripping all over the floor.
One other comment, I'm not moaning these are just observations, is that one of the main snorkeling routes runs about 50 feet in front of the bungalows and for some reason most snokelers seem to think that you can converse with your snorkeling partner/s with your snorkel still in your mouth. The result is very loud, excitable, muffled German shouting every 10 minutes or so. We did have Germans either side of us in the Water bungalows and they are very loud and most of them, which surprised us, smoke, so we had smoke billowing on to our deck and in the Restaurant all through our two weeks.
The food was good but rather repetative. Some of the meat was rather chewy and the vegetables were rock hard and inedible. There was very little selection of fruit and the puddings were basically mousse's and not labelled, so you had no idea what flavour they were meant.
It's sounds like I'm moaning, but I'm not, it's just different to what we are used to, and the other few English people on our boat back to Male thought the food was excellent.

So the pros are:
The fantastic reef, it's like another world under the water and the best I've ever seen.
The Island is very pretty.
The speed baot trip is 40 mins maximum to Male.
IT'S THE MALDIVES which is the best in the world.
The fantastic lobster meal we had which is $42.00 pp and is on every Friday night

The points that we PERSONALLY didn't like:
The noise levels on our personal deck. We always want our own quiet space for our Maldives holiday.
The smoke wafting on to our deck and being allowed to smoke in the Restaurant when we're still eating.
The sewage smell at the back of the water bungs, sometimes it was unbearable.
Repetative food and very little fruit and salad. I actually got excited one day when they added radish to the salad bar along with the compulsory shreaded white and red cabbage, tomato, cumumber and pasta.
Every lunch time, unless it was the Italian theme night in the evening, there was pasta. Don't get me wrong, I love pasta, but everyday for 14 days is a bit much. I don't eat a lot of meat so that was my daily option.

I would recommend that you go for the reef, sun, water and sheer beauty of the Maldives as it is the best.
I priced up exactly the same holiday with the same tour operator at the same time next year and it would have cost us another £1000.00. The prices are rocketing so you'd better get there quick.

I wouldn't personally go back to this Island but then we've been spoiled rotten.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple