“Lovely stay at embudu - great snorkelling”
Review of Embudu Village

Embudu Village
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Embudu
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We have a fantasic stay at Embudu.

We have stayed at two other Maldives resorts (Filitheyo and Biyadhoo) and our visit to Embudu was our summer 2012 treat. We chose this Island mainly due to price, run through Thomson and it was recommended as having a house reef.

We stayed in a superior room and they all seemed to have sea views, they were recently refurbished and the room had everything we needed. The walls were a little thin so if you had noisy neighbours it would have been annoying but luckily we didn’t.

This island is smaller than the other islands we stayed on and seemed to be more populated. Although this wasn’t a big issue.

With the food, I think you get what you pay for. There was certainly lots of choice and some days were better than others. Overall I think the food was good and certainly better than our stay at Biyadhoo.

Dive centre was good although lacked trips to interesting dive sites, the house reef was fantastic and probably better than Fithitheyo and Biyadhoo. We saw sharks, rays, turtles, morays, napoleon all from snorkelling.

Boat trip from the airport was short as it is the second closest island to Male, this meant there was quite a bit of air and sea traffic past the island but again not a big issue.

Population on the island were older than other islands and less honeymoon couples. There was very little evening entertainment and the whole vibe was very quiet (which we quite enjoyed) although could have been improved with a live band occasionally.

We were full board basis and I think the upgrade to all inclusive was $35 pppn. We were not big drinkers so managed to stay well within this but the drinks were relatively expensive. Beers were 65Mr for 400ml spirits were Mr58 and spites 40Mr all before 6% tax and 10% service charge.

Room Tip: Superior, new rooms available from Oct 2012
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
19  Thank benoz2000

Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks in the Embudu village resort. When we booked the resort was considerably cheaper than other resorts so we were not quite sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised, the staff were friendly and attentive, the food was amazing, with excellent choice and a different theme each night. The house reef did not disappoint with amazing fish and the resort was flanked by majestic eagle rays. The only downside was that the bed was hard and slightly uncomfortable, I was not the only one to find this. A potential downside is that unless you are in a family you seem to get seated with other people for meals, this was not a problem for us as we got on really well with the couple at our table, so much so we are still in touch. My partner and I loved our stay and will cherish the memories for a long time.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank fifilafolleVienna
Reviewed June 20, 2012

My family and I have visited Maldives 4 times and found Embudu to be the friendliest island among Rannalhi, Ranveli, and Biyadhoo. These 3 islands are still above par but Embudu stands out! The guests, mainly from German, are very friendly and all the staffs there are very friendly too! When I was walking pass a staff talking on the cellphone, I was surprised that he hold off the phone to greet me as I walk pass him. They really did a great job!

Boat transfer: Waited at the airport only for a short while and was on the way to the island. During good weather, it took about 45 minutes to get to the island.

Rooms: Request one of the newer rooms and it was good! air con worked perfectly, the new bathroom is very spacious and everything worked perfectly! Room was cleaned once a day compare to twice per day on other islands. the bed is comfortable and sleep quality is good.

Construction: The island is rennovating rooms on the south side of the island and there is constant construction going on. However, there was no inconvienence for us~

Meals: Very good buffet food! I had the best steak buffet I've ever had! Overall, Food quality is very good! No repeat food for 5 days.

House reef: Water visibility was not as good as my previous trips but it might be because of the season. Comparing to the house reef of other islands I've been to, the house reef is not the top. There were alot more fishes in Rannalhi and Ranveli. However, this house reef is still worth going to! I saw 1 eagle ray and snorkel with a Napoleon for 15 mins! It was a great experience! But I got jellyfish sting on my face when snorkeling and I couldn't see it to avoid it.

Dive center: Very friendly and professional staffs at Diverland! I did 4 dives and it was a great experience. I completed my 100th Dive there and the staff was so great that they took underwater photos for me and gave me a T-shirt as gift.

Price: This is the best value island among the 4 islands I've visited.

In conclusion, I would definately visit again!

Room Tip: Rooms 50 and above are newly rennovated rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank alanc929
Reviewed June 15, 2012

My sister and I returned again to our favourite Island. The newly updated cottages are lovely, and the chairs on the verandah are very comfortable to sit and watch the water, boats going by, snorkelers swimming by the reef. Buffet meals always provided with us with a choice of enjoyable food, and we especially enjoyed the Special Dinner of Lobster served once a week out in the Garden area, for a small extra fee it is so worth it. An excellent choice of International wines, including Australian and New Zealand. We snorkeled daily, absolutely brilliant, and also went on a snorkeling trip which was great. A major item is the staff, they are just so nice, helpful, polite, things like that make a big difference to your enjoyment, Embudu is not an Expensive 1st Class Island, but for us it the Best, and we have been to others which are nice but a lot more expensive and we haven't enjoyed them as much as we do at Embudu. We find Embudu more peaceful, after a year of racing around in the daily chaos it is just wonderful to get to this Island where you can relax, be looked after by the helpful staff, and really have a wonderful holiday. The water is just great, you can walk , swim, snorkel in shallow water and see the brilliant coloured fish, or go into deep water to snorkel just outside the reef, or dive as the Diverland Boats and Instructors know the best places to take you in their boats.
We are already saving up for our next visit !
Thank you so much all Staff at Embudu, you are so nice it is lovely.

Room Tip: On this small Island, all rooms are great to be in.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank LillySydney
Reviewed June 14, 2012

My boyfriend and I visited Embudu back in May. I'd firstly like to thank all the people who have left reviews on trip advisor, all the positive feedback convinced us to choose Embudu over the other islands. What can I say, it was beautiful! You can walk round the whole island in 20 minutes, so there's no need for shoes, however I always wore shoes in the restaurant. If you love fish/snorkelling/diving then this island is a MUST! The house reef is amazing. Before we left for the Maldives, We created a list of all the marine life we really wanted to see (manta rays, turtles, lion fish, sting rays, sharks, barracuda etc) and by swimming round the island, up to 3 times a day, we soon had seen everything on our list. My highlight was being able to swim beside a huge manta ray that had come close to the reef to get to the cleaning stations. The rooms were basic, very clean and modern, so if you want luxury, this isnt the island for you. The staff were very friendly and polite and always happy to have a chat. There was a large variety of food and the desserts were amazing. There's plenty of diving excursions, but not many snorkelling. If you wanted to snorkel at a different reef, you'd have to tag along with the divers and then you wouldn't have a guide, but we didn't feel the need to do this with the house reef being so good. We were full board, so didn't get our drinks included, but this was perfect for us as we aren't drinkers, so would only have to buy a few bottles of water a day at $2 each. If you want to drink lots of alcohol, cocktails etc, then it may be worth you going all inclusive. I would go back to this island In a heart beat, it really is a paradise and I enjoyed being cut off from the world for 2 weeks.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Hannah S
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Got back a couple of days ago from Embudu and of our 5 visits to the Maldives this was by far the best.
The four star places we have been too before get knocked out by this wonderful little gem.
For me, this is how the Maldives should be, no news no shoes for two weeks. If you want banging loud music and entertainment every night then go on a cruise or visit mainland Europe.
The rooms were large and spacious although the matresses were a little on the firm side, lol.
The food in the restaurant was good with a wide variety and plenty of drinks available on the All Inclusive however Diet Coke is not included in the AI for some reason.
Fed 3 times a day with coffee, tea and sandwiches served between four and six pm giving it a very colonial feel. :).
This is a proper chill out and relax island with some of the best staff I have ever encountered. Even the ground staff were really friendly and always smiling and saying hello. Always ready with a smile and a joke and not expecting a tip for every little thing.
The dive staff are just really Uber cool and dont have to say anything they just look through their sunglasses and wave slowly as the ice forms on their arms they are so cool.
The snorkeling is the best I have experienced as well and the variety of coral and fish is out of this world. Spent twenty minutes swimming about with 3 eagle rays on one day.
There is a warning on the official site that there is work going on upgrading some of the villas till October, this really did not interfere with our holiday at all and we hardly even noticed it to be honest and this also meant that the occupancy rate of the island was also about half capacity which left even more room on the beaches and in the bar.
Normally after 10 to 12 days on holiday im about ready to come home but they had to pry my fingernails out of the wooden jetty to get me to leave this place.
What a find. ;)

Room Tip: To be honest there is not really anywhere on the island I would have complained about been located.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
12  Thank RevBagsta
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Just returned from a 2 week visit from Embudu. We had a fantastic holiday. We last visited in January 2009 .. it was great then and its even better now. We stayed in an upgraded room which had a great new bathroom, new beds and furniture. There's also a new more spacious bar area and Sunil and his team there are fantastic. The food was very good with plenty of choice every day - Moosa our waiter was very attentive and it was a really nice touch that we were allocated the same waiter and table that we had on our last visit. This is not a luxury island there are no TV's in the rooms, no fancy gadgets, not even a swimming pool . . . but who needs that . . you are in the Indian Ocean on a paradise island with an excellent house reef for snorkeling, the weather is great and the welcome's even warmer. I've visited a few island's now and I feel that this is the most relaxed, welcoming best value for money in the Maldives. Saving up now to visit next year for my 40th birthday!

Room Tip: As for upgraded room. Rooms 50-58 are nice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Tess0229
Also consider these accommodations in or near Embudu
Adaaran Prestige Vadoo
Adaaran Prestige Vadoo
#1 of 1 in Vaadhoo Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Vihamanafushi
Biyadhoo Island Resort
Biyadhoo Island Resort
#1 of 1 in Biyaadhoo Island

Been to Embudu Village? Share your experiences!