All reviewswater bungalowour waiterother islandsfishsmall islanddive schooloctopusroom boybeach towelsmarine lifeasian nightbudget resortcoral gardensdifferent themeper dayeagle raysceiling fan
Reviewed May 5, 2011

The hotel was wonderful. The beach was clean and white.
Millions of fish around the beach bungalows and the beach was superb.

It is a perfect getaway from our busy life style and enjoyed the stay at best. The food was not the best but Ok.

The coral reef around the beach was superb. Snorkeling is a must do at embudu. Took thousands of pictures and saw many fish that I have never seen even in an aquarium. you will see at least couple of baby sharks if you walk down the beach.

The beach bungalows were clean. They were not the best quality or comfort, but is more than value for money.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Moditha
Reviewed April 30, 2011

We were picked up from the airport quite late at night. The speed boat trip took about 15-20 minutes. The water bungalow we stayed in was just marvellous, with beautiful coral all around and baby sharks swimming in the shallow sea between us and the main island. Snorkelling here is pretty impressive, its like being in some magical underwater garden specially if you dare to venture a bit deeper in to the sea. The sand spit like area is like being in some other universe, specially at sundown, everything is picture-perfect. Loved sitting on the pier at night watching fish, so so romantic.
Service was very good, attentive & friendly. The jacuzzi in our room suddely stopped working but it was repaired within hours. Food is plentiful but not all that tasty thoug not hot enough for a south asian palatte!

Room Tip: Book online, much cheaper than a travel agent
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sharm77
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I just spent 4 days at Embudu. I'd heard good things about the dive operation there and also I wanted somewhere that wasn't too far from the airport and was reasonably priced for a solo travellers. Embudu didn't disappoint.

The boat transfer from the airport took around 30 mins. This is not the most luxurious resort in the Maldives but the standard was more than adequate. I had no complaints about the accommodation; a big comfortable double bed, hot water and air conditioning.

The food was plentiful and varied. The barbecue night on the Sunday evening was excellent. I paid an additional $29 per day for all inclusive drinks, although as you have to pay this for the full duration of your stay, it's only worthwhile if you are going to drink alcohol every night.

The diving was exceptionally good and efficiently managed. Most days there was 1 boat dive in the morning, and 1 in the afternoon, with a choice of 4 different sites, plus diving on the house reef. On the Saturday, we went on a full day trip to a more remote location in the south of the atoll. The unlimited diving option for EUR340 is a good option for people who are going to do more than 10 dives.

My only criticism of the dive centre is they insisted I did a check dive even though I had dived the week before I arrived. Still, I would add that some of the dive sites they use have extremely strong currents e.g. Embudu Express, although they always offer an easy dive at another site for people who don't fancy the more extreme diving.

The house reef is quite pleasant and I saw manta rays, sharks and turtles while snorkelling. Note that on this island there is not much else to do except dive, snorkel, eat and sleep. There is no swimming pool.

The only thing that disappoints me about the Maldives generally is that everyone is given bottled water to drink and the amount of plastic waste this creates is horrendous. Clearly it's not an easy issue to resolve, but they could maybe start by giving people bottles that can be refilled from a water dispenser.

Overall, an excellent place to stay for people who don't want to pay the earth and are keen on diving.

Room Tip: They were all close to the beach!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank dxb1969
Reviewed February 16, 2011

This was our 4th visit to the Maldives but first to Embudu,and it really is a gem.
As others have said if you are after luxury this is not the place for you but for peaceand simplicity it is perfect.
We travelled with Thomson ,the flight was fine apart from a 4 hour delay! transfer was smooth.
We were allocated room 39 which in my opinion was one of the best locations.right next to the sand spit which is incredible.The sunsets from here were the best I've ever seen,
The room was "tired" but clean and air con was fine.Very comfortable patio furniture.
The bar and dining room were just a couple of minutes walk away.
They have both been recently refurbished and were cool and modernThe bar staff were terrific and always ready for a laugh.
Food was excellent veg and salads very good,however I didn't find some of the dining room staff very friendly,this could be because there was only 6 English people there the first week.The snorkling is very good and the coral garden was good for nervous snorklers like me!
My husband went on 3 snorkling trips and swam with Mantas every time.
All in all Embudu is relaxed and unpretentious.I would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank louci
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Arrived new years eve 2010 fast boat trip15 mins,quick checkin,rooms small clean but basic (we had room 28) so called superior ,on other islands this would be the budget rooms.
small beach area outside of room not sand but broken up coral so mind your feet steps down to sea broken in parts beach shallow so safe for kids.
food super i cant eat tuna as soon as the chefs found out, at every meal time if tuna was on i had a different fish,on my birthday a nice cake was presented this is the norm ,the new years dinner was out of this world over 101 dishies .
island is very clean so is the sea ,snokaling is a must not the best in the maldives but near the top( this was our 7th island).diving good well organised and frendly also not as expensive as other islands in other reviews people have said they saw bored guests if you get bored easily go to a very large island or dont come to the maldives!
as a final noteyou wont find friendly staff any where else in the world!!!!!!!!!
would we go back yes.