“Great Pizza!”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Meat Lover's pizza was Really Good (husband and son in law split this with almost half taken home) and the Reuben (split with daughter) was also Very Good. The cheese curds were also good. Good selection of beer and soda. The restaurant was very clean, service was very good and we had a nice dinner. Noticed a lot of families with children- small arcade in back so the children can be occupied while waiting for their dinner. For being a large sport/pizza restaurant it was not noisy and we were able to converse easily. Sometimes this type of restaurant is so noisy it is hard to visit or hear anything.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

Bottom line, terrible customer care philosophy and corresponding service level which is pervasive from the general manager down to the rest of the staff.

I was at the Lakeville location recently with my wife and 3 young boys for dinner. The night started on a frustrating note when I was informed I could not order a beer with my dinner as I did not have my driver’s license with me. I asked to speak to the Manager (I didn’t want to put any of the staff in a bad position) to see if he had the ability to make any exceptions given that I am 45 years old. He explained that he could not make an exception and that they would treat a 90-year-old the same way. He also explained that the law requires them not to serve anyone of any age who has a restricted license and that the only indication of that is on the back of a DL. I told him the strictness of their policy still made no sense to me and that either their interpretation of the requirements of the law was wrong or that everywhere else I had ever ordered a drink in MN over the past 13 years was not in compliance. OK, I didn’t like the policy but we moved on from there, ordered food, and were enjoying the night.

From there, the service was downright awful with major issues:

• Waiting 10-15 minutes after the food was delivered for several needed things – my wife wanted to order a glass of wine with dinner, ketchup, lemonade refills, etc. No one even checked in with us during that time even as we attempted to flag folks down.
• Seriously overcooked hamburger.
• The wine was finally delivered in a broken and severely chipped-around-the-rim glass that leaked wine onto the table until we cleared off the pizza pan to catch the puddle and my wife delivered it back to the bar because there was no service to be found because there was no server to be found

I’ve worked in the restaurant business before and know how these things can happen, particularly when a server gets bogged down by a large table. It would have been nice to receive at least some sort of acknowledgment of this by the server/Manager or maybe an apology but, again, OK -- we were out for a nice family night out and didn’t have tremendously high expectations. Everyone was rolling with it.

The reason I’m taking the time to write this is what happened next. My wife was not a big fan of the wine and asked me to take a sip to see if I thought it was bad or something. I’m guessing 5 minutes later, the Manager showed up at the table and proceeded to admonish me in front of the whole family. He said that “a staff member had seen me take a sip and that if he saw me do it again, he would have to take the glass of wine away,” in the tone one might use toward a 5 year-old who had done something wrong. I couldn’t believe my ears and was at a loss for words. In fact I was astonished that the staff would be so attentive to see me take a sip of wine when they seemed so incapable of attending to any kind of basic customer service that one could expect from a restaurant!

After composing myself I went to speak with him and let him know I didn’t like the tone he took with me and didn’t appreciate him speaking to me like a child, particularly in front of my kids. I explained I was not trying to game the situation by having my wife order a drink for me and that I was merely responding to a request from her to taste her glass of wine to see if it was bad, which I’m legally able to do because I am over 21 years old. He basically gave me no response.

My first reaction was to write a scathing review of the restaurant but upon some reflection I didn’t think that was fair because this could just be some isolated incident or individual. So I took the time to stop by the restaurant a few days later to try and set up a time to speak with the General Manager. The bartender who greeted me had actually been working the night we were there and remembered the situation. She basically explained that the Manager I had spoken with was the General Manager and that the owner was also there that night. She proceeded to ask me “why don’t you get it that we can’t serve alcohol to anyone without a DL?” I told her I didn’t agree with it but that I did in fact “get it” and that what I was upset about was how I was treated after tasting my wife’s glass of wine, not the fact they wouldn’t serve me. This did not move the conversation any further as she responded by challenging me “why don’t you have the ability to restrain yourself from having a sip of wine for one meal.” This is the point that my head exploded and I thanked her and told her I had all the information I needed.

There is no one else from Carbone’s who will listen or care about this experience as far as I can tell, so I felt sharing my experience in this manner was the only path I could take to communicate the problem. I will never set foot in that establishment again. The reason I think this is important to others goes back to my first statement – ownership and management have no regard for their customers and it evidently trickles down to the rest of the staff and results in incredibly poor service.

If you live in the south suburbs and are making a decision about where to go out to eat, I would recommend choosing a place like Rascal’s, Champps, Ol’ Piper, Fireside, or Valley Tap House any day of the week.

3  Thank dchamber24
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We were here on the first really warm day to start Memorial day weekend ..super nice day and wanted to go someplace with a patio..they had a sign up by the door to outside saying seat yourself IN THE BAR AREA ..I asked the bartender if the Patio was open she said yes go get a seat & someone would be out..well there was only one cleared off table in the sun so we sat there..took quite a while for a waitress to come out..took our drink order.....wait for them...dropped them off and said she'd be back to get order...wait again..meanwhile others have come out on patio but have a different server..THEY get service...finally got to order..the other girl actually brought out food...finally our server came to see us & we ordered drink refills...Yep wait again! now the food was good ..I had the Ruben and corned beef was perfect..my wife had a cheeseburger and we split a fries ( they are extra)..after all of this when she brought the check, the waitress said she was sorry about the wait but they had to cover inside as well as outside because they weren't fully staffed for patio ( I think to protect her tip)

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Carbones Lakeville sponsors our softball team so we are there every Wednesday night. The server remembers what each of our players drinks and never leaves an empty glass! It is a family friendly place so our team never feels uncomfortable bringing their kids along if needed. We have also gone for pizza after our kids youth sporting events. They are very accomodating for large groups and there is a small arcade in the back to keep them busy while the parents socialize! They are very generous when it comes to donating to community groups so we usually think to go here first when gathering as a team! Love this place!!!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We eat here often, and usually have their pizza. This weekend, my wife wasn't interested in pizza, so for the first time I had the cheese burger. The burger was good, but I didn't like that the burger came with chips and there is an added charge for French fries. With the added charge for the fries, the meal was a lesser value that what I can get at other local restaurants. I think I will go back to ordering the pizza.

They also have a great Happy Hour with $1.75 pints of domestic beer.

While our service has typically been very good at this restaurant, this time we needed to grab the attention of our waitress twice. Once was when she was standing by the kitchen talking to another employee. This displeasure was reflected in the tip we left.

My ratings are based on our typical visits to this restaurant and not this one time.