“Great Restaurant”

Porterhouse Steak and Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Porterhouse Steak and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 70 Restaurants in Lakeville
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Kenrick Avenue
Description: Our original Porterhouse opened in Little Canada, MN in 2001 and still thrives today. The Lakeville location opened it's doors in 2007 and has continued the strong tradition of serving great steaks and classic cocktails in a warm friendly environment. We appreciate our loyal patrons who have supported us over the years.
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Porterhouse is a great place for a nicer business dinner if you have out of town guests or a nice place to have a romantic night out. I've gone there for both. They have great steak and excellent seafood. They also have some great martinis and an wonderful wine selection.

There are newer reviews for Porterhouse Steak and Seafood

Reviewed April 15, 2014

Service, professionalism, cleanliness, quality of food, presentation, and the appreciation for my business are the words that come to mind at porterhouse.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The food is pretty good, but overpriced for the quality. Really the only option in the immediate area for a quality steak, so what are you supposed to do?

Reviewed April 12, 2014

For an idea of how I rate:
1=Horrible with no return planned ever
2=Not the worst, but wouldn't plan a return trip
3=Average, take it or leave it, wouldn't care if we went back or not
4=Memorable and worth a return trip, but missing something that puts it over the top
5=Memorable and excited about a return trip to try more, has food we've never had and want more of

If you sort by other "poor" ratings, reviewer RN_Mom_to_2 hit on a lot of the same things my wife and I thought - and if there's consistency like that, then there may be some room for improvement.

Like some others, we saw that this was a top rated restaurant in the south metro, so we thought we'd give it a shot. The menu is pricey, and so we were expecting an above-average experience.

We had reservations and were sat immediately; however, there were a few strikes right away. First, they had EXTREMELY comfy looking booths and some tables with padded chairs - we got the table with plain hardwood chairs. Not a huge deal, but if you want to be a high-price steakhouse contender, then make ALL your guests comfortable, or at least the same. Just thought it was really odd.

Server was nice and prompt. We ordered wines and they were good (although again, pricey - have had better for cheaper), and ordered the crab cakes to start. They were fairly tasty, and actually the Remoulade sauce was exceptional - I was mopping up every bit I could.

Then came the next odd pieces: my wife's salad came (an average Caesar, nothing to write home about) and my clam chowder. The clam chowder was scolding hot. I mean, not "I prefer my soup hot" hot, it was nuclear. My wife had me feel the bowl, it was also scolding. As a restaurant veteran, she guessed that meant my soup had been microwaved. Now, I'm not gonna officially claim that of course, but there was definitely something amiss on this one. The next odd/disappointing piece: ice cold butter PACKETS! This is not a food court. Not to sound like a snob, but this was shocking. A restaurant like this giving you a ramekin of foil butter packets that are rock hard. They were so cold, in fact, that I couldn't peel the foil, and it just kept tearing.

Next odd piece (as others have said): four pieces of cold bread - not that that's odd, but they came wrapped in a napkin as if they should be warm. Just, weird. And of course, the crackers for the soup came in their original plastic bag package as well.

The clam chowder was also watery. Good flavor, but bad consistency.

So now we started questioning this place and our expectations started to get lower - bummer.

Main course comes out: we split the porterhouse and mashed potatoes and added the lobster tail. The steak looked great, as well as the lobster tail. Temperature was really good on the steak (like others have said, they go off their own temperature scale, so we had to order medium for the warm red center). The filet portion was tender, both portions were huge. However, under-seasoned. Some steak purists like almost nothing seasoning their steaks, but this just tasted bland. Same with the lobster tail (which I think was overcooked). Salted up the steak and tasted much, much better (maybe they just leave that to the diner to choose). It was missing some good char taste as well. We didn't finish it, which has never happened when we've had steak. It wasn't bad, just...meh. But for the price, we were expecting something better.

Next odd piece: we order dessert, and when it comes SO DOES OUR CHECK. Thought that was fairly bold move, an obvious hint that we were our server's last table and she wanted to get going. Didn't ask us if we wanted coffee (to which my wife ALWAYS says "yes"). Luckily, the turtle sundae was delicious, but it's really, really hard to screw up ice cream.

Final odd piece: no one at the front of the house to see us out. Now, as said before, this is a pricier restaurant that has received top ratings - even Outback has people hold the door for you and say goodnight as you leave. Not a MAJOR deal, but it is the finer details that put restaurants over the top.

So, the food wasn't horrible, neither was the service, both were fairly average. But it was expensive. If someone asked us to go back, we wouldn't - much better food for the same or less at plenty of other places. It just seemed like a restaurant that wants to move into the class of a Manny's or Ruth's Chris, but they're missing a lot of the finer details (and food awesomeness) that makes those restaurants what they are.

1  Thank Jeromesch2
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Nice atmosphere plus great food and drink make the Porterhouse venue one of the very best in the area. The service is also excellent.