“Pleasant place in Lake City”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake City
John Hall's Alaskan Lodge
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Lake City
south dakota
“Pleasant place in Lake City”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Alaskan Lodge. My room was of the basic (non-whirlpool suite) types and it was very comfortable. There is a small kitchenette, which I liked for making breakfast for myself in the morning and for storing in the refrigerator, some grocery items I had purchased on the road. The beds are comfortable and the bedroom is separate from the small living area, so you are a bit further back from the highway, which is right in front of the property and is busy. however, I didn't have any trouble sleeping. It may be a different situation if you like to sleep with a window open. Service was average, but my requirements were few. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jackfrost0904

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
St. Paul, MN
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We went for a weekend stay in superior suite #3 (handicap room). Everything was clean and fresh, nice lodge style decor. Great view of the lake (I imagine the upstairs in the superior suites would be amazing). The hot tub was larger than others we've been in and very relaxing. Keurig coffee makers was a nice touch. The only reason I'm not giving this 5 stars is that the bed was SO soft that it hurt our backs. I like softer beds, I have one at home. This was unlike anything I've ever seen. Barely touch it and it sinks down 6 inches, literally. Otherwise, a really great room with a great view. We'd go there again.

Room Tip: Choose a superior suite (newer)
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fun_St_Paul_Nurse
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed in suite #1 with a jacuzzi and fireplace with my wife. Arrived around 7pm and upon first appearance, everything looked good. But bathroom floor was completely filthy and disgusting. Went to tell staff, but office was closed. Then the REAL fun began. The owners live directly above the suites and the floors are paper thin. They were running around like baboons until midnight and then started again at 7am. When I went to check out, I showed the front desk a picture of the dirty floors and told her about the noise upstairs. The only thing she said was " Hmmm, I'll have to look into that", then sat back down at her desk. Never apologized, I was flabbergasted. So much for trying to treat my wife to a romantic getaway! I will NEVER EVER stay there again.

Room Tip: I would rather sleep in my car out in the parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
12 Thank LUV2TRAVEL2013
Chaska, Minnesota
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed in one of the superior suites and it was a great room from the furniture to the cleanliness to the view to the amenities provided. The staff we met in the office were great. However, with a little more attention to detail, they could have made themselves really stand out among the other hotels and made our stay extraordinary. There was a kitchenette, but no dishtowels or dishrags--we ended up using the bathroom towels for our dishes. There were about 6 mismatched glasses and 1 wine glass--it would have been nice to have at least 2 wine glasses. We stayed Friday-Sunday and even minimal maid service would have been appreciated. There was a jacuzzi tub and bath salts were provided, but only enough for one bath. There was enough coffee for 2 days, but we were actually there for 3--Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. We put out the "Maid Service" card on our door every time we left on Saturday, but no one came to refresh things. I can understand not wanting to redo the linens, but simply to refresh the toiletries and kitchen items would have been appreciated. Finally, the sofa bed mattress was put on upside down, so at first, until we discovered this, we thought it was the most uncomfortable bed in history. Once we flipped it over, it became the 2nd most uncomfortable bed in history. The sofa was used to sleep on instead of the bed inside.

Room Tip: the suites are worth the extra $
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Julie H
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Girls weekend getaway! I love this place! Great mini retreat or place to take the "older parents" for a feeling of "bay side enjoyment". The view from the porch is just high enough to see over the parked car's in front of each room, do-able. Just before dark you will want to unscrew your porch light so you can enjoy a (BUG FREE) night scene of stars, water, train whistles and sometimes Northern lights! (screw the bulb back in every day ). I have stayed in suite #1 and a couple of the standard suites. The bigger suites have dvd players :) The Chickadee is wonderful, old fashioned feel and food that will bring you back to the day's when food was a tasteful art. (My mothers friend grew up in this house before it became The Chicadee.) Down the street is a very enchanting antique store (also in a former residence). I met John and his daughter, Very nice people, they took our picture for us in front of the sighn:) Go! Enjoy!

Room Tip: The corner suite is my favorite for privacy on the porch and the lovely lawn and blossoming trees ri...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Horton, Michigan, United States
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I came here this week with my husband. He is in town to work on a machine in a local factory. We are staying in one of the suites. We are checking out today and we checked in on monday. It is very peaceful. I enjoy sitting out front and reading my book and watching the people out on the lake. Room was very beautiful. Decorated the same as my house it made me feel at home.
Plenty of counter space to cook(I brought my electric skillet). Jacuzzi gets nice and hot. Used it everyday.Shower is plenty big 2 or 3 people could fit in it. We have the handicap room...so that could be why the shower is so big.The bed was super comfy as was the leather loveseat. I only have 2 minor complants-the rooms need flyswatters and the towels smell like they have been left damp. Might have to come back next week and Im hoping they have a vacancy.
Not too far from downtown. Alot of nice little shops down there. Was able to walk along the lake to get to downtown. Railhouse grill has the best burgers. I will always stay here if I ever get to come back. Beautiful place and very nice little town.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Karen R
Mount Horeb
Reviewed July 17, 2012

My husband and I recently returned from a getaway to Lake City, MN. Our accommodations were great! The Alaskan Lodge is situated on property adjacent to Lake Pepin (a widened part of the Mississippi River) just south of Red Wing, MN. The views are fantastic, even during a thunderstorm! This retreat is well-managed and is responsive to the needs of guests.
We stayed in a larger suite which had a jacuzzi and a fireplace, although smaller room options are available. A breakfast bar and a mini-kitchen makes morning breakfasts a snap. Complimentary Internet access is available for the business traveler or busy family who must stay connected. You would not be disappointed if you chose to stay at this property.

Room Tip: Plan ahead. This property fills during the busy summer season and during the beautiful fall color s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Super 8 Red Wing
Super 8 Red Wing
#6 of 9 in Red Wing
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Red Wing

Been to John Hall's Alaskan Lodge? Share your experiences!