“Convenient location but a bit of a mixed bag”

Greyhound Country Inn
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We'd booked months in advance and the Inn seemed to have changed hands when we arrived - and got a shock as the price had doubled! The staff were fabulously helpful and friendly and the beer very well kept...The food we had including a mixed grill and steak with pepper sauce weren't awful but they weren't as good as average. Breakfast the next morning was of similar quality with a suspiciously entry level pork sausage.The rooms are perfectly functionality and comfortable although they could do with some redecoration and updating - especially the bathrooms!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Make sure you don't get the collumpton room as it has the smallest double bed in the world. I am 5ft 7ins and my husband is 5ft 8ins and we both spent a very uncomfortable night with both feet hanging out of the bottom of the bed. Other than that the food was good, place was clean and quite pleasant. A bit expensive at £88.00 a night but ok

Room Tip: Avoid the collumpton room with a very small 4ft double bed, unless you are on the short side
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed at the Greyhound for 2 nights with a friend whilst on a short trip to a festival, The staff were very helpfull and friendly from the moment we arrived and Jan even gave us a lift out when we could not get a cab! We had the full English both mornings and although you may not be able to finish it, it was very good with cold juice and nice coffee. I would stay here again if ever in the area a good find all in all.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2013

A very solid three star hotel for accommodation. Probably deserves three and a half to be honest!

We dropped in looking for a family room and one was made up for us on the spot. The room is very spacious as it the en-suite bathroom. In fact for an older style inn both are huge. The bathroom looks like it has recently been refurbished and the shower is great.

Breakfast was included in our stay and was quite good.

All staff were very friendly and most helpful.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I found this Inn while looking for accommodation near Escot Park where I had a short term job. What a delight. The pub section on the ground floor was a good old fashioned comfortable pub with timber beams, fireplace and strings of hops hanging from the ceiling. It immediately felt like the kind of place that catered to locals as well as welcoming to travellers like myself, going for good beer, good food and good atmoshphere as opposed to the "boutique decore" effect

Easy to find off the A30 and with plenty of parking, I was able to enter through the back entrance and immediately shown registration and my room. The bedrooms are upstairs and instead of numbers, have names. Mine was the Ottery. It was ensuite with a view out front and had all the expected features: tea/coffee facilities, freeview TV, toiletries. The decoration seemed realtively new and comfortable.

I had my evening meals in the puib and took full advantage of the evening specials: pie & pint one night, two steak meals for one on another (I was with a business colleague). I was sorry I missed the Sunday Roast as I was working during the day but the special Greyhound Inn burgers in the evening made up for it. That and a pint of Otter Ale and I was well satisfied.

What really made this place special were the people. I was well looked after by Kim and Tom who chatted when I wanted company, left me to my own when I was busy. Janice took care of the booking and registration, always had a smile and the time to exchange pleasantries and served a lovely breakfast. When I explained that I had to be out at 6.30 one morning they still offered to do breakfast. I didn't want to drag anyone up that early and declined but ended up compromising when they brought a tray with cereals, milk and juice to my room so I could have a bite while getting ready to leave. They even made me a sandwich for lunch, which came in very handy when I was working flat-out later that day.

I stay in so many hotels for business that it is a welcome treat for me to stay in a place like the Greyhound Inn where I can feel comfortable and well looked after and never felt like just a "unit" checking in or out of a souless place.

Room Tip: The only thing I would mention about my room facing the front of the hotel was the outside light whi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here for three nights to be close to Combe House for a wedding. It was fantastically located and the friendly welcome and excellent service made all the difference. Janice and her team were all so accommodating and ensured we were well looked after, Janice even offering us a lift back up to the venue the morning after the wedding to collect our car. Breakfast was delicious and plentiful and all freshly cooked.

The rooms are lovely and have everything you need; it's obvious that the place is still gradually being worked on but it was a pleasure to stay there and we'd certainly recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Vicky S
Reviewed October 17, 2012

a charming period country inn,in wonderful rural countryside..we had a lovelly two day break with comfortable room.the menu is extensive and tremendous value.the ambience and staff are very accomadating and friendly.the local town is charming and within easy access.we wil be recommending it to all our family and friends and look forward to returning someday soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Yarcombe
Rose Farm B&B
Rose Farm B&B
#1 of 3 in Wilmington

Been to Greyhound Country Inn? Share your experiences!