“Good wines but poor management”

Chankaska Creek Ranch & Winery
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Kasota
Mankato, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good wines but poor management”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

The winery has good wines but apparently the wine maker is no longer there which I heard from a staff member. I have been going to this establishment for some time and the amount of turn over in staff is fairly regular. The staff are very young and not very knowledgeable about wines. If you know this walking in and have your expectations low than you will be fine.

Every time we have gone the food has been good. It's mainly cheese platters and pizza's. It is important to know they do not take reservations during their busy season. I have had their manager tell me that despite not taking reservations "she could get us in, since we are regulars". This promise led us to wait for 30 minutes for a table to sit at only for us to get angry and leave.

The wines are now getting really expensive. Most wines are 25 - 45 dollars. I like wine but there are plenty good bottles for less than 20 that are more reasonable.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Megan J

Lakewood, Washington, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Beautiful place and good wines!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had a group of ten on a Friday evening. Perfect service, excellent food (wood-fired pizza and appetizers), very welcoming tasting room and gift shop, live music on lower level. We would love to come back in warm weather since there are two lovely patios, fire pit, etc. And...good wines!

Eden Prairie, Minnesota
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Local winery...”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Nice winery tour. Good selection of wines. Offer cold weather grape wines. Reasonable prices for a small winery.

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Loved It!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My husband and I stopped on our way home just to take a look. The ranch itself is beautifully landscaped -- there is a nice outside sitting area, walking trails, vineyards, sheep. The inside has cute gift ideas and appears warm and friendly. We tried two of their wines, a red and a white recommended by the knowledgeable staff. Both were fantastic! We plan to return when we have more time to do a more extensive tasting.

Madison, Wisconsin
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Gorgeous Winery”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This winery has incredible ambiance. Inside and out, no detail was missed. The winery hosts tours and tastings and is a great place to share a bottle of wine with friends. The staff is helpful and friendly. I can't say I found a new wine I can't live without, but I had a great time browsing their vast selection of wine-themed accessories and really appreciated the impromptu tour (we arrived quite a bit earlier than the first 2PM tour). I'm more than willing to come back and try more wine and pizza in the tasting room.

Visited August 2013