“Beautiful place, awful service. (for a wedding)”

Chankaska Creek Ranch & Winery
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Kasota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Beautiful place, awful service. (for a wedding)”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I had my wedding at Chankaska this Summer. It is a stunning view, but the service is complete opposite. They kept going back on things they had told me I could do. With the amount we paid I feel as though the service was mediocre. Working with the event coordinator made planning a wedding ten times more stressful than it already was. She did not respond to emails or phone calls until she needed to ask me something. I was told we could arrive to get ready and take pictures anytime we wanted. We were told we could bring food in for our wedding party. We were also told there would be a room for the groom and groomsmen to get ready. The Thursday before my Saturday afternoon wedding I received a phone call from the event coordinator telling me I was not allowed to bring food, there was no room for the groomsmen, they must come ready, and we are not allowed to come until 1:00pm (after we had decided on 11am). As a bride I was stressed to the max, and this brought me to tears wondering how we would get it all in. She than told me they did not have the proper cords to play the music and that I needed to provide my own (I paid extra for the sound system already). At the rehearsal I did not have the right cord and the event coordinator said she would go make sure I had the right one. My wedding went off the next day without any issues. Out was absolutely perfect. We only had the ceremony there because of the outrageous price for the reception. Every single thing costs money separately. There is no package even though it appears as there is. I had a wondeful day however, I would NEVER consider it again for anyone. If it was earlier on I would have backed out. It was just not worth it.

10 Thank nansam12

Le Sueur
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Good wine, good food, ok staff”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

As this is a new business, I live in the area and I love wine, I didn't want to judge Chankaska in their infant stage, so after a few visits, I feel I can give a better opinion. The area itself is delightful, great views, nice trails, fire pits, indoor and outdoor seating, are very nice. The staff has gotten better about their knowledge of the wines and the service is getting better but it has a few kinks to work out. This is my fourth time visiting Chankaska since it opened. Pluses are a warm and cozy atmosphere with some delightful wines and appetizers, if you are looking for a meal, this is not your place. It is a bit over priced for Southern Minnesota, but the food is of good quality.
The staff however is hit or miss, maybe it is depending on their experience. On my last visit, I was there with some girlfriends, we had each bought a bottle of wine, so we could do our own taste test, the meat and cheese tray and a margarita pizza, all which was very good. We sat by the outdoor fire pit, we had one staff member who would come out and stoke the fire, created great conversation, another who would ask if we were ok and needed anything else, the only problem we ran into was when one of my friends asked for a glass of water to be brought out to her and the waitress said, "Oh, we don't do that." We said, "Really, you will bring out firewood, and wine, but you won't bring out a glass of water?" She said, "Yes, that is against our policy." We were shocked, however, when we mentioned it to another staff member, they just sighed and yes, no, we will bring you a glass of water. Is it training or just the staff?
Another suggestion would be to have bigger signs that can be seen from the road and a few of them, it is an out of the way place and you don't want to lose customers if they can't find you, also, include outdoor heaters that actually give off heat and don't just look pretty.
It is a great place, but they have a few things to improve on.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Hynes57LeSueur_Mn
Eagan, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great place to relax”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Chankaska Creek Ranch & Winery is just over a hour drive from the Twin Cities, MN. It's just the right distance for a afternoon cruise. The building and grounds are nicely designed. However, large numbers will overwhelm the available space quickly. The red wines are very good, the whites ok if your tastes lean toward the tart side. The food lunch platters are excellent as are the oven fired pizzas. As the winery is very new, opened in April 2012, it will take a little time to have everything running a smoothly as some reviewers expect.

Pricing on the bottles of wine are a little high for Minnesota. More along what I seen in the California market if you exclude the reserve and vintners labels.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Larry P
Mankato, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Perfect Little Getaway!”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Hubby and I stopped by for the first time for a mini date night after a long day of work and was so impressed! We got greeted right away at the door. We ordered our pizza and and did a tasting. Also joined the wine club. I liked the glasses so much, I bought a couple to take home!
The wines were great. Really reminded me of the winery near my parents' home in Washington- Gooseridge Estate Vineyards.

Pizza was awesome and ambiance is incredible. My husband and I took our glasses of wine and went for a walk before we left and were just so impressed with the place. Heard they have music on weekends? Coming back for sure!!!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Holly J
Mankato, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, okay wine, bad service”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

My friends and I arrived at about 5:30 on a Tuesday night. Took our wine out to the patio. We weren't sure if someone would come take our order of if we had to order our own. About 45 minutes later we noticed two girls come out carrying their own food. I went to the bar, asked for food menus, and was told the wait for pizza was one hour. (They only had one guy making them.) It would have been nice if they could have alerted patrons that food orders take longer than a normal restaurant and plan accordingly.

My group decided what they wanted, and I went back inside to order. Ordered a pizza and a meat & cheese tray, thinking we would get the meat and cheese right away. No. I was informed the entire order is put together at the same time. Needless to say we were all pretty famished by the time the food came. (We had all come from work.) The margarita pizza was pretty good. (Dino's in North Mankato makes the best pizza in town if pizza is what you're looking for.) The Chankaska White was okay. Not my favorite, but the other girls seemed to really like it.

The scenery/setting is amazing. They have walking paths, fire pits, and a huge, beautiful weeping willow tree. If I go back, I will order food immediately. I think if they can figure out the staffing/service issues, it will be successful for years to come.

Visited August 2012