“Classic Food”

Santee Crossing Embers
Ranked #2 of 14 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
Reviewed May 19, 2014

When visiting family in MN, we ate breakfast here rather than risk the free breakfast at Econolodge. I used to live in the area back in the 70s and this restaurant was open back then. I don't think it's been updated since then. I'm thinking that way back when it was a Dennys or Howard Johnsons. The food is classic breakfast; eggs, bacon, hash browns, etc. There was one waitress that morning. Luckily, the place was not too full. The food was good and the service was quick. If you want the basics for breakfast, this place fits the bill.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I took my parents and 2 granddaughters there for a Sunday dinner. The southern fried chicken dinner looked ok. and an omelet that was ordered looked ok.
I had the daily special roast beef dinner, which the waitress knew nothing about. She had to go ask and this was at 1:45 when dinner was almost over.
It came COLD and I mean cold, not even warm. had to get it reheated. Also isn't a dinner roll usually served with dinners???

My cup of side chili was also barely warm, terrible. I was also to get a sundae after that was included with the dinner,, never got it., waitress left to go home

The roast beef gravy tasted like stuff they scraped off the floor,,,,,no flavor!!

Taco salad. 98% lettuce. 1/2% beef, 1/2 % cheese and 1/2% tomatoes

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Pretty busy place but it took quite a while to get our food. Overall, the food was good and waitress was prompt and friendly.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

It was ok the service was slow and the food was plain but didnt expect much. Good area nice and friendly. If you are looking for something to fill you up great place to eat

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Entering the Embers, I was transported back to my teen years, waitressing in a tenderloin joint in Des Moines. They say that smell is the most evocative sense, and I can believe it. The smell of bleach and fried food was transporting. The waitstaff is friendly, welcoming, and promptly greeted us and seated us. Since this was an "intermittent fast day" for me, I watched patrons (cycle riders in leathers, families in travel clothes) and the staff, all in t-shirts and jeans. He ordered country steak and eggs, and took advantage of the offer of marbled rye toast. He said it was "totally awesome." Hence, the five stars. Toast was thick, well browned, eggs were fluffy, and hash browns were crispy.