“Excellent customer service”

Ranked #3 of 8 Specialty Lodging in Isle
Centerville, Minnesota
“Excellent customer service”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

As most ice fishermen/women know Mille Lacs has had its share of snow this year. Travel off of the plowed roads is not available as it has been in the past few years. I called ahead to see what the conditions were like for a wheelhouse. The very helpful woman that answered the phone told me that she would contact the ice crew and make sure I would have a spot. When I arrived I was given a hand detailed map to a spot cleared for a wheelhouse. When I arrived at the spot one of the plow drivers noticed that maybe my truck and wheelhouse were a tad too long to back into the spot. Kevin, the plow driver, stuck around and moved a bit of snow to ensure I could get settled. This was not the first time either. I have been using this resort for the past 4 years with nothing but great experiences. Do not hesitate to put Appeldoorns on your destination list.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Centerville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Salem, Indiana
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Fishing was horrible. Out house had issues and it took them 36 hours to respond to a 5 minute fix. Fish hut was nice. We were told we would be check regularly, but we were checked on once in 4 days. If I return to this area, I will definitely not go to Appledorn's.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We rented cabin 6 during midweek in August. Its right on the beach. I was excited when we first got there, there was a wooden swing, picnic table and firepit right in our backyard! We went and unpacked in the cabin which was spacious for us two, but it sleeps 6+ which could get tight.
We paid $325/night and reserved it for 3 days. We rented a pontoon the 2nd day and when we were leaving i noticed some teenagers playing football in our backyard. Very close to the cabin and bedroom window, but we would be gone for a while so i didnt think too much of it. . When we came back after about 6 hrs, there was now the teenagers, and a few adults in the backyard. They had a blanket sprawled out, a cooler, cards, and didnt look like they were leaving anytime soon.They could see right into the cabin thru the backdoor window as there is no shade on that window. We also were shocked that you can see right thru all the windows at night. The shades they have offer no privacy. We ended up putting the extra blankets over our bedroom window and towels over a couple others. Anyways, we waited a little while then finally went out to the backyard thinking everyone would leave. Took about 30 minutes for that to happen...they finally left and went behind the resort to the RV park. This happened the 3rd evening as well. Another large family made themselves at home back there. They had a couple coolers and blankets too. They were also from the RV park as they were discussing what they paid for their rvs. We decided that was enough and left a couple hours later. My husband asked the office if that area was included in the price. They said yes, but if we werent using it, it was open. We just had to ask them to leave or else have mngmnt tell them. We obviously wont use it 24/7 but i dont want a bunch of people in the backyard that can clearly see in my cabin/bedroom if im not out there claiming it. In my opinion there should either be a clear sign saying "reserved for cabin 6" or else move it to the community area across the road, its directly in your backyard. Ive never expierenced anything like that at any other resort. Ive been to a few in the Brainerd area, even the chalets in hinckley give you more privacy. I know there alot more rv spots(35) then cabins and i know they are paying alot less a night then the cabins. Seems unbalanced to me to have everyone using all the amenities. I have nothing against the people from the RV park which im sure someone will have a rebuttle about. This is clearly a mngmnt/design issue.The beach is not huge and i can only imagine it on a weekend. The community part of it is right next to cabin 6. The lake IS beautiful and we did have some good times, I just wish we could have felt more comfortable.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank matsun60
Iowa
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Our family traveled to Lake Mille Lacs and stayed in a studio cabin. We enjoyed the lake, beach, family-friendly atmosphere, and made some new friends along the way. The staff is friendly and helpful. The sunsets from the beach are gorgeous. We made s'mores one night in one of the firepits, grilled each evening, swam and played on the beach, used the kayaks, played on the kids' playground, and enjoyed getting to know some of our cabin neighbors. The fishing wasn't good but it was still fun to get out and try; however, kids were catching buckets full of crayfish by the docks. It was fun watching the tractor load and unload boats into the water. We enjoyed our stay and will go back again!
One thing that would be great: If they added a beach shower to wash off the sand before going back to the cabin/room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We found our party of 7 without lodging in the area and needed to find a spot to stay quickly. They happened to have a cancellation in a portion of their Reunion House and we gladly accepted the two night stay. We were so pleased to see the Reunion House so clean and comfortable. We found an adjoining door unlocked so we called the front desk and they arrived one minute later. We went to the sandy beach and played for hours there. My hubby and I grabbed two kayaks and enjoyed ourselves on the water. There were so many people to meet, kids for our kids to play with. We enjoyed hand-dipped ice cream on the beach and continued to swim. Shared a fire pit with strangers and left the fire pit as friends. The sunset was beautiful. We had so much fun that we forgot to go fishing. I highly recommend Appeldoorn's and would love to stay here if we are ever in the area again!

Room Tip: It's Minnesota, don't forget your mosquito spray!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Watkins, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My new hubby and I just returned home this afternoon after a week-long stay at Appeldoorn's. We spent our honeymoon in an adorably cozy little cabin right on the beach and it couldn't have been better. The staff was friendly and awesome, the grounds were WONDERFUL and the views out our cabin door every evening at sunset were amazing. I normally can't stand going into water I can't see into for fear of what may brush against my toes, but every single day I found myself jumping off the end of one of the long docks or just wading out into the crystal clear water. It was a week in paradise :)

We had never been to the resort before this trip, but it will be a yearly event for us going forward. Already counting down the days until we get to go back!

After having a front row seat for one solid week right on the beach, I'll leave this note on "the RV'ers" discussion that's been going on here on this site... I also believe that it's unfair to lump ALL RV'ers into one group - we met plenty of amazing people who never once crowded our beachfront space, and we knew by striking up discussions with them that they were, in fact, RV'ers or folks who had cabins behind the main office. I do think, though, that since the beachfront cabin renters pay for that prime space, there should be signs posted with designated swimming & lounging areas in front of the huge (and awesome) deck that's provided. Oddly, however, that seemed to sit completely empty most of the time we were there and many who were on the beach were, in fact, in front of the cabins.

If you don't pay to rent a cabin on the beach, this resort offers you PLENTY of other space to park yourself to lounge that's not directly in front of someone's cabin. Seems like it's just the right thing to do, and while most who visited the beach got that, there definitely were a few who didn't.

Room Tip: No swimming POOL, but a huge lake to swim in which was awesome!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny R
Lakeville
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have stayed at Appeldoorn's two times- both times for a fun girl's weekend get-away. Resort is great with many amenities to include a workout room, game room, kayaks, beach, volleyball to name a few. Resort is close to other great restaurants and bars that are accessible by car or boat. Relaxed, easy going atmosphere and staff is top-notch. I think this resort is great for anytime looking for a relaxing get-away weekend or week.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ShellyAnaK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isle
Eddy's Resort
Twin Pines Resort
Twin Pines Resort
#1 of 1 in Garrison
The Red Door Resort & Motel

Been to Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Resort? Share your experiences!