“Fantastic Weekend”
Review of Golden Palm Resort

Golden Palm Resort
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We booked a weekend break for the children's half term holiday on a late deal direct with the park. Our caravan was basic but modern and clean and had everything we need for our holiday. The caravan had small heaters in the bases of the wardrobe which helped to take the chill off the air at night. Our check in was simple and stress free and the caravan was easy to find. we were right behind the swimming pool so close to everything. It was the parks end of season party weekend in the club and the entertainment was fantastic on the Friday there was 2 bands and then the main act with was a group called complete madness which were really good. Saturday night there were 3 bands on again the main act was a 60 recording group which is not really my era but were good and got everyone up dancing. We would definitely book again, the kids loved the pool and the club and the club was great for us.

Room Tip: We stayed in caravan S79 which was a brand new caravan
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank James C
Chris C, Manager at Golden Palm Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Hi,

Thank you for your great comments regarding your short break with us, I am glad you had such a good time.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Golden Palm Resort in the near future.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from a two night stay on the touring park. Booked hard standing only to find someone already on our pitch. Double booked apparently. Then we were told we hadn't paid. Another cock up in the office. Two people with the same surname apparently. The warden who was so very helpful showed us to an alternative pitch after refusing to be parked directly outside the toilet, literally. The shower block was spotless and lovely and warm. So looking forward to a lovely warm shower the following evening. No warm shower. The boiler had stopped. At half five, the site office was closed and no one else was interested. So yes, freezing cold shower in November. On leaving Sunday morning I aired my views in the site office. Only to be told the boiler was now working. Great news. Would I return? Probably, only because of the friendly warden who I'm sure if was on duty at the time would have sorted the hot water out.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank deena p
Chris C, Manager at Golden Palm Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Hi,

I am very sorry to hear of your booking problems regarding the hard standing base you required, we are increasing the number of hard standing bases we offer for the new season so hopefully this problem should not occur in the future.

We do not often have problems with our hot water supply to the toilet block however unfortunately the dates you did stay with us we did have a problem with the main boiler which we did try to rectify as soon as possible, once again I do apologise for this and hope it did not spoil your weekend stay with us too much.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our park warden and the cleanliness of our toilet and shower facilities. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back for a return stay in the future.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Stayed here on a sun holiday in October half term , must say very disappointed when first arrived not a very nice looking site the road in look like you was driving into a industrial estate , got our key and was told had to pay for services and the club passes plus a £20 refundable deposit ,didn't bother with the club passes and after reading the reviews on here I'm glad I didn't waste my money,we had a new caravan and had no problems with it all clean and fully equipped my biggest bug bare was parking or lack of it you couldn't park next to the caravan and the very small car park nearest our van was too small and always full if you went out you couldn't get a space when you came back and had to park a lot further away god knows what it would be like in main season you would have to park outside the site! Getting the deposit back was a pain aswell as you had to wait for staff to come to your caravan to check it then give you your money this was after I had already been to reception bit of a pain , Skegness is a lovely resort and so is mabelthorpe x

Room Tip: Ok to use as a base
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Tracey M

Hi Tracey,

I am glad to hear you had no problems with your accommodation during your stay. We are currently working on our entrance to the park to improve your view as you drive onto the caravan site, this will include an update to our car park so should help to ease the problems you found during your break.

I am sorry you did not get the chance to experience our facilities for yourself during your stay, we did have a comprehensive entertainment programme during the school half term break.

We do charge a refundable deposit on all our bookings and our facility passes are an optional extra with all Sun newspaper promotional holidays, this would have been stated on your check in paperwork prior to your arrival on park. I have taken note of your comments regarding checking out and we are looking at making this procedure simpler for next season.

Thank you for your valued feedback and I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

So we went for a long weekend from fri - mon (came back on the Sunday it was that bad)
Firstly i cant complain about the accommodation as when we eventually got out keys at 3pm (waste of a day there) it was clean but needed new curtains and the beds were uncomfortable. We stayed in a oak caravan which was miles away from the complex.
The Swimming pool was alright for the children with slides ect however there was no baby change and you had to get changed in front of everyone else. The lockers were right near the pool which i thought was weird they should be where you get changed.
The night entertainment was horrendous the hall where its placed is like a gala bingo hall family's are separated from the adults but in the same room so its like being segregated and the main man on the stage thought it was appropriate to tell sex jokes whilst children are present and listening. There is no dance floor for the children just a poor playroom.
The staff there are ignorant and had miserable faces throughout our stay apart from the man on security, The drinks are over priced and so are the children's amusements. All in all it is not a good atmosphere for a family holiday and we were very disappointing.
The pool was freezing cold and i couldnt keep my daughter in there for longer than 15 minutes.

Room Tip: Go to Butlins next door :)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Rebecca F

Hi Rebecca,

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment about your weekend break with us. I understand you felt you lost a day due to our check in at 3pm, however this is an industry standard check in time and although frustrating for you and your family the check in and check out times are required to clean the accommodation between customers. We do notify you of these times on all our check in paperwork and holiday confirmation letters posted to you in advance.

It is a great shame you did not enjoy your time in our fun pool, we do maintain our pool temperature to levels required for a leisure pool and do check these on a regular basis. We do also provide full baby change facilities within the pool complex, we do have staff available to advise you should you be unable to find these areas.

I have also noted your comments regarding our main show bar and playroom and have passed them on to the relevant managers.

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your stay.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just got back from the weekend on a Sunday £9.50 thing went with wife and two young children and my sisters family our caravan wasn't to bad to be fair just cold but cant expect everything in september. We paid for the club passes which to be fair are pointless as it would of been cheaper to pay per night into the "club house" it's more like phoenix nights.... Its not child friendly really the kids soft play area is in another room which is monitored by two staff who have the music on so loud they didn't see or hear a young girl crack her head on the floor crying they we to bothered about the rave music.... Then the pool cost extra for one hour £3.50 I think.... So the passes were pointless... Wish we had book Primrose Valley all in all if you want a cheap rubbish weekend away or over 60yrs old you might enjoy your stay not for me....

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Yagmi

Hi,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your stay.

It is an optional extra cost for entertainment passes with all Sun Newspaper promotional holidays and I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy our main show bar, however the passes you would have purchased at check in also included unlimited sessions in our fun pool, so no additional payment would have been required.

I have passed your comments regarding the show bar to the relevant managers.

We are constantly investing in our park and entertainment complex each year. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back to the Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just got back from this massive caravan holiday complex our friends booked a chalet for the week.They invited us down to stay for the long weekend and we had a ball of a time. While self catering is not our cup of tea we had breakfast in the chalet and had meals from the site pub or the takeaways that are on site for example Chinese, Kebab House, Indian, and good old fish &chip shop. There was a great variety of food to choose from even Cornish Pasties and the usual burgers and hot dogs. At the side of the entrance was a large amusement arcade and on the other side was the Tropicana a very large clubhouse with a young family area. Drinks were of average price but the entertainment was very good indeed for this type of holiday venue, they even had dancing girls to compliment the show it was real cabaret time to say the least. This is a very large site and so they employ security guards so any trouble is quashed within minutes we saw one scuffle which was dealt with and over as quick as it started these incidents sometimes happen anywhere no matter what, it never spoil t anyone's night. The only reason we noticed it was because it happened right behind us.
Also there is a very good swimming pool to the rear of the club but we never used it. There is a bus stop just outside the camp across the road to the arcade to go to the Eastgate Market and
Skegness and on return you are dropped off outside the arcade. Also across the road where the takeaways are there is a supermarket which is very well stocked and the site pub is situated at that side also. The pub does a carvery every day along with other pub grub not bad for the price either only problem was our carvery was a little on the cold side.
To sum up a well located clean well run site with plenty of everything and close to numerous attractions. we would recommend this site for family's and couples of all ages. we will go again

Room Tip: this is a caravan holiday and the vans seem to be very modern and clean vans are in rows like any ot...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank percussionman

Hi,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your stay, it is great to hear you had such a good time with us.

We do strive to offer a wide range of entertainment during our cabaret shows at the Club Tropicana and I am glad you enjoyed our shows during your stay. It is good to hear you used all our facilities on park too.

I am pleased to hear you liked your accommodation, we are constantly investing in our holiday accommodation to keep all of our holiday caravans bright and modern.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Booked a 9 night break a few months in advance. Arrived and collected keys. No problems. Got into the caravan and to my missus' horror, there were no hangers and not enough drawers to put clothes in.
Personally, I don't mind living out of the bag, but the missus likes to be organised, so we requested some hangers and all was fine. The only other issue was the doors to the two rear bedrooms. You couldn't have both doors open at the same time which meant that the little ones had to sleep in room with closed doors. We asked them to remove the doors while we stayed, which they did, job done and we were happy.
My own personal problem was the bed. I could feel every spring in my ribs, but that could be down to my skinny build, but it did annoy me a bit.

Generally the caravan was fine, clean and dandy, what we expected.

We decided to have a look at the Club tropicana as the soft play area looked good. It was ok for the 7 and 12 year old, but not so good for the 3 year old as she had to go into the baby section which caused a tantrum. We left there in the end, but it would have been fine for her when she is older. The club house was huge with lots of people playing bingo in the afternoon?!? Each to ones own I guess if that your thing.

We went into the pool a couple of days later, but the water was a bit too cold for my missus so we left, but to be honest that's just a personal preference. It looked alright though, with a couple of flumes and a splash section for the little ones.

The arcade was...an arcade, what more can I say, 2p slots, racing games, your normal run of the mill arcade that keeps the kids occupied for half hour or until your pocket will allow.

The takeaways were really nice. We had Panda chinese and fish and chips on the same day and it was really nice. Can't complain at all. Although on the Friday I went down to Panda to get a takeaway at 4pm (the advertised opening time) and it was closed. My missus wasn't massively impressed, but nothing a cheese burger couldn't sort out.

The outdoor play park was ok, nothing to write home about. It is mostly occupied by teenagers in the evening and afternoon or kids not being supervised which I frown upon, but there you go.

It's in a great location, a 10-15 minute drive from Skegness which has a Morrisons for any shopping you need. Fantasy Island is just down the road which is good for bigger kids, not toddlers. F.I. has an outdoor market which is great for a few bargains.

I mentioned Butlins in the title, because we went there for a day trip which costed £68 for 2 adults and 3 kids which gave us a whole day to use the pool and all of the fairground rides, arcades, restaurants and activities and it was absolutely brilliant. We booked a holiday there for August and got a bargain. Just thought I'd clear that up for you.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and in an excellent location for all of the local amenities. We would go back if we hadn't have visited Butlins. lol

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your stay with us.

I am pleased to hear you used our on site facilities. I fully understand your comments regarding the Butlins Complex however we do offer a different holiday style.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you and your family back to the Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future.