“Were do I start”
Review of Golden Palm Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chapel St. Leonards
Golden Palm Resort
“Were do I start”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just got back from the weekend on a Sunday £9.50 thing went with wife and two young children and my sisters family our caravan wasn't to bad to be fair just cold but cant expect everything in september. We paid for the club passes which to be fair are pointless as it would of been cheaper to pay per night into the "club house" it's more like phoenix nights.... Its not child friendly really the kids soft play area is in another room which is monitored by two staff who have the music on so loud they didn't see or hear a young girl crack her head on the floor crying they we to bothered about the rave music.... Then the pool cost extra for one hour £3.50 I think.... So the passes were pointless... Wish we had book Primrose Valley all in all if you want a cheap rubbish weekend away or over 60yrs old you might enjoy your stay not for me....

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Yagmi
Chris C, Manager at Golden Palm Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your stay.

It is an optional extra cost for entertainment passes with all Sun Newspaper promotional holidays and I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy our main show bar, however the passes you would have purchased at check in also included unlimited sessions in our fun pool, so no additional payment would have been required.

I have passed your comments regarding the show bar to the relevant managers.

We are constantly investing in our park and entertainment complex each year. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back to the Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future.

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Hull
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Just got back from this massive caravan holiday complex our friends booked a chalet for the week.They invited us down to stay for the long weekend and we had a ball of a time. While self catering is not our cup of tea we had breakfast in the chalet and had meals from the site pub or the takeaways that are on site for example Chinese, Kebab House, Indian, and good old fish &chip shop. There was a great variety of food to choose from even Cornish Pasties and the usual burgers and hot dogs. At the side of the entrance was a large amusement arcade and on the other side was the Tropicana a very large clubhouse with a young family area. Drinks were of average price but the entertainment was very good indeed for this type of holiday venue, they even had dancing girls to compliment the show it was real cabaret time to say the least. This is a very large site and so they employ security guards so any trouble is quashed within minutes we saw one scuffle which was dealt with and over as quick as it started these incidents sometimes happen anywhere no matter what, it never spoil t anyone's night. The only reason we noticed it was because it happened right behind us.
Also there is a very good swimming pool to the rear of the club but we never used it. There is a bus stop just outside the camp across the road to the arcade to go to the Eastgate Market and
Skegness and on return you are dropped off outside the arcade. Also across the road where the takeaways are there is a supermarket which is very well stocked and the site pub is situated at that side also. The pub does a carvery every day along with other pub grub not bad for the price either only problem was our carvery was a little on the cold side.
To sum up a well located clean well run site with plenty of everything and close to numerous attractions. we would recommend this site for family's and couples of all ages. we will go again

Room Tip: this is a caravan holiday and the vans seem to be very modern and clean vans are in rows like any ot...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank percussionman
Hi,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your stay, it is great to hear you had such a good time with us.

We do strive to offer a wide range of entertainment during our cabaret shows at the Club Tropicana and I am glad you enjoyed our shows during your stay. It is good to hear you used all our facilities on park too.

I am pleased to hear you liked your accommodation, we are constantly investing in our holiday accommodation to keep all of our holiday caravans bright and modern.

Reading, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Booked a 9 night break a few months in advance. Arrived and collected keys. No problems. Got into the caravan and to my missus' horror, there were no hangers and not enough drawers to put clothes in.
Personally, I don't mind living out of the bag, but the missus likes to be organised, so we requested some hangers and all was fine. The only other issue was the doors to the two rear bedrooms. You couldn't have both doors open at the same time which meant that the little ones had to sleep in room with closed doors. We asked them to remove the doors while we stayed, which they did, job done and we were happy.
My own personal problem was the bed. I could feel every spring in my ribs, but that could be down to my skinny build, but it did annoy me a bit.

Generally the caravan was fine, clean and dandy, what we expected.

We decided to have a look at the Club tropicana as the soft play area looked good. It was ok for the 7 and 12 year old, but not so good for the 3 year old as she had to go into the baby section which caused a tantrum. We left there in the end, but it would have been fine for her when she is older. The club house was huge with lots of people playing bingo in the afternoon?!? Each to ones own I guess if that your thing.

We went into the pool a couple of days later, but the water was a bit too cold for my missus so we left, but to be honest that's just a personal preference. It looked alright though, with a couple of flumes and a splash section for the little ones.

The arcade was...an arcade, what more can I say, 2p slots, racing games, your normal run of the mill arcade that keeps the kids occupied for half hour or until your pocket will allow.

The takeaways were really nice. We had Panda chinese and fish and chips on the same day and it was really nice. Can't complain at all. Although on the Friday I went down to Panda to get a takeaway at 4pm (the advertised opening time) and it was closed. My missus wasn't massively impressed, but nothing a cheese burger couldn't sort out.

The outdoor play park was ok, nothing to write home about. It is mostly occupied by teenagers in the evening and afternoon or kids not being supervised which I frown upon, but there you go.

It's in a great location, a 10-15 minute drive from Skegness which has a Morrisons for any shopping you need. Fantasy Island is just down the road which is good for bigger kids, not toddlers. F.I. has an outdoor market which is great for a few bargains.

I mentioned Butlins in the title, because we went there for a day trip which costed £68 for 2 adults and 3 kids which gave us a whole day to use the pool and all of the fairground rides, arcades, restaurants and activities and it was absolutely brilliant. We booked a holiday there for August and got a bargain. Just thought I'd clear that up for you.

Overall it was a pleasant stay and in an excellent location for all of the local amenities. We would go back if we hadn't have visited Butlins. lol

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your stay with us.

I am pleased to hear you used our on site facilities. I fully understand your comments regarding the Butlins Complex however we do offer a different holiday style.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you and your family back to the Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Never again, please if you have an ounce of self worth or a brain do NOT think of going there. The site is a complete out of date dump. We sat on the park as our kids wanted to go and play for a while, I have never heard such foul and abusive children in all my life, it was that bad we had to take our own kids away and back to the caravan. At the end of the holiday you have to drop the keys back at reception however don't expect a quick get away as there is no drop box so you have to wait until reception is open, you would think they would have tackled this problem long ago!

6 Thank Dac1922
Hi,

Sorry to hear you had such a negative experience with us during your stay.

I understand your frustration regarding checking out and although our reception does not open until 9am you are able to book an advance check out from 7am on the day of your departure.

Doncaster
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here for the bank holiday weekend with my grandparents (who are keen caravaners may I add) and overall we weren't impressed. The caravan site is a bit scruffy and no where near as well kept as other ones in the area. The caravan we stayed in was ok, nothing special, it didn't have hardly any utensils in like other caravans have as standard - no glasses, cups etc. They did have cutlery but you wouldn't let your worst enemy eat using them because they were that horrible. Luckily we brought our own. The oven / cooker didn't work properly, it took about 2 hours to cook something that should've took 20 minutes! The fridge was filthy inside. By the time we left on the last day the caravan actually looked cleaner than when we first arrived - even on the inspection on the last day the staff member commented on how clean we had left it. The good points to the site is that it's in a good location, the club tropicana is a good night out, the Gutterband were on bank holiday sunday while we were there - they were fantastic - but you need to book a VIP table to enjoy the night properly which again costs more money. Would return to Chapel but definitely not on this site.

2 Thank DaceyDicky
Hi,

I am sorry to hear you had problems with your accommodation during your break with us, if you had reported these problems at reception we would have been able to investigate your concerns and would have tried our best to rectify them for you.

It is great to hear you enjoyed our entertainment, the Gutter Band are regular visitors to Club Tropicana and always put on an excellent show.

We have just embarked on a major investment programme on our park to modernise our accommodation and facilities over the coming years, I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future to see how things have changed.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My wife and I came down for a weekend break the site is not what I expected the caravan was ok but where we were at the back that's not for me
there is a camp site in the middle of 2 static caravan sites so coming back from the club if you didn't find the bridge you had no choice but to walk across the camping site where you heard all types of noise
the club had good entertainment all night but familys got told to leave at 7.30pm and go to the blue room
on the Saturday the 17th aug we paid for a ticket to see a singer come on called roy hemmings he decided to show at 11.20pm
I couldn't believe it I left in the end as I was so tired im used to going to bed at 10.00pm because I have 4 kids and I like to get up early I didn't see the end so I cant tell you what time it finished
I thought it was a family club not a night club and also the tickets did not have the time on them when he was supposed to come on they need to put another building that does bingo and where familys can enjoy their holiday they seem to get enough money not everyone wants to pay more money when arriving
as for the buses if you can help it don't catch one on a Saturday I think its extremely bad service we went to ingoldmells in the morning after we had done there we pulled away to go to Skegness we ended up waiting 40mins for 1 on the way back it took that long I lost count we went into chapel at the terminus when we pulled away there we waited 35mins for a bus that never came so I started walking and the bus didn't even pass us walking down to site as we got back there were loads of people waiting for the bus to ingoldmells or that way there was no hope
if that was our local buses they would of got more buses on the road drove empty to pick them up at terminus so don't expect much

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank leeodams
Hi,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding our Holiday Park, I have noted your comments regarding our show bar and passed them onto the relevant Manager's.

As a large Holiday Park we hire holiday caravans but we do also allow our caravan owner's to hire out their own caravan's too, it appears you had booked one of these private holiday homes due to the location of the caravan at the rear of our park.

When booking direct with the park we are able to offer you a location closer to the main entertainment complex, you would also find all facility passes included with your holiday so no additional tickets would be required.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to The Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future.

Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 19, 2013

the booking process and checking in process was fine. Staff were friendly and helpful. We were in a tent and the pitch was fine for our rather large tent. You have to pay a £20 deposit for the toilet block key (which was quite good but with only 3 shower cubicles there could be a wait at rush hour) which you get back at the end of your stay. There is a laundrette on site, a small amusements, the pool (£3.50 per person - even spectators), mini golf across the road, the club Tropicana (which is reasonably priced), a chip shop, Chinese, pizza place etc etc. There is also a good play park for children. So in all it is well equipped as far as sites go so why do I not know what to make of the site? The play park is a little way from the touring park and there are no footpaths so my children had to walk along the roads to get there. Why is that an issue? The large volume of traffic and the excessive speed at which many cars were driven. Even site staff drove faster than I deemed sensible. Older children seemed to swarm around the play park and spent much time smoking and swearing (not ideal place for my 7 yr olds to play). Because the site is so big, it loses any semblance of atmosphere. The pool has 2 hour sessions and can only cater limited people so there are times when you go and the pool is full so you get turned away. It isn't a bad pool though. The club is fine, a little dated, but OK for the little ones with a soft play area and disco area at the back. Entertainment was standard fare and OK to while an evening away and the drinks were sensibly priced. Pint and a half of Stella 4 was 4 quid. The site is much more set up for static caravans than tents but the touring area as fine. So although the site has nothing to say "don't ever go there", it also, in my opinion has nothing to say "you have to go there". I personally prefer smaller less commercial sites and that's probably why I can't make my mind up. In summary, it is a fine site and well equipped but to my mind the traffic, the slightly restricted toilet block and lack of atmosphere on the site let it down. If you're a fan of smaller more sociable sites then this isn't the place for you but if you want an all in site then it might be the one

Hi Sean,

Thank you for your valued comments regarding your holiday with us.

I have noted your comments regarding our touring and camping park, we have just embarked on a major investment plan on our park which will see many improvements and new additions over the next few seasons.

We starting to re-lay out our touring park with additional drainage, roads and fencing to offer a little more privacy. We are also adding and new play area and a multi use games area which will be adjacent to the touring park offering easier access for your children to play. Work is soon set to start on these new facilities and will be followed in the next 12 months with tennis courts.

I hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the Golden Palm Resort at some point in the future to see how things have moved on.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chapel St. Leonards
Travellers Rest Motel, Ingoldmells
Seayr Hotel
Seayr Hotel
#34 of 93 in Skegness

Been to Golden Palm Resort? Share your experiences!