“Bed was not very soft and noise from neighbors kind-loud” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Grand Northern Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Hinckley
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Bed was not very soft and noise from neighbors kind-loud”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

Bed not that soft. I had to turn up the fan to HIGH drowned out the noise from other people nearby. Generally clean but a bit overpriced based on comparable hotels. Continental breakfast had rolls that seemed still frozen or prior days rolls. Oranige juice was very watered down. It was overpriced is the bottom line.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2012

We were put in the Grand Northern Inn because the regular hotel was unavailable. When we arrived there was a children's birthday party in the lobby and several people using their laptops in the other part of the room. As we were going to our room there seemed to be kids everywhere. I was pleasantly surprised that noise didn't keep us awake. The room was standard, no frills, comfortable beds, coffee maker, and flat screen TV. The bathroom had plenty of counter space and Bath & Body Works toiletries. Water pressure in the shower was OK, but it was hot right away. Our room was clean but the lighting was a little dim. I browsed the breakfast selections but passed because it was busy and it mostly looked like small bakery items, bread or bagels as the options. It's not a bad place to stay if you get a good price & can save some money for the casino!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MNgolfgal
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

We stayed at this hotel at the end of September 2011. Do not believe the negative comments about the staff. We checked in around 8 p.m. and they were quite busy at the time. There were two people working behind the desk and they were very pleasant and very efficient. Check in was quick.
The room was nice-clean and stocked with toiletries.
Check out was easy and the girl behind the desk was friendly. I am not sure what people want from check in to check out but we would stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank packerbacker717
nicollet mn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

I had the displeasure of the continental breakfast, I was drinking a cup of orange juice and felt something hit my mouth, looking in the cup there was a big black thing floating at the bottom, it looked like a mouse turd. I took it to the lady who was serving the breakfast and she in more than one way, said I put it there. The room was great but I wouldn't suggest drinking their orange juice, or associating with the help.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank becky_2002
Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

Frankly I was surprised at the several bad reviews that this place has. We were not interested in the casino but were heading north through Minnesota and knew we would be around Hinckley when we wanted to stop. We checked out the casino website and phoned for a room for one night. They put us in the Grand Northern Inn which was a very affordable place. Some people who reviewed the Inn for TA paid twice what we did and I have no explanation for that unless there was something special happening or a popular three day weekend. The Inn was around half a mile from the casino and just off I-35. I will assume it was an overflow place for the large casino hotel. It was a roomy motel with a very large lobby with many tables and chairs and that was where the morning breakfast was served. Our room was large and pretty much a standard nice motel room. Lamps on both sides of the bed, two easy chairs, large screen TV, and a good bathroom. The Inn had an indoor pool that was larger than most motel pools are. The breakfast was perfectly fine. And the whole place seemed to be very clean which again is a contradiction with a few other reviews. We liked it. It was affordable, clean, and comfortable. No problem.

Room Tip: Phone or use the website to get a good price
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank unclelouie
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2011

I rated this 3 stars but other than a few of the extras, I was completely unimpressed. Overpriced rooms but there isn't much of a selection in Hinckley so you take what you can get. (I booked this room before the concert was announced so my rate was $89, however, after the concert was announced, the rates jumped up)

Our room was a double double, which meant 2 full size beds. Works great for singles sleeping alone but 2 people in one bed can be rather snug. The only other size bed available was a king, and those are only in the suites. The room was outdated, and I was nervous to even begin to look around because it didn't have the newer clean feel or smell, however, it wasn't scary or top-surface dirty anywhere.

Pros: Check in was very fast and involved very little interaction. There is a pool and a 24 hour shuttle to the nearby casino. We were in town for a concert at the casino so this was extremely convenient. Granted, staying at the casino would have been ideal as well but this hotel is also a casino-branched hotel and was easily over $100 cheaper per night. Silly.

Cons: Disappointed in the 'continental breakfast' Was mainly toast, mini-muffins, dry cereal and juice. Selection was pretty picked over. Beds were uncomfortable and it was a softer water pressure in the shower.

Would I stay here again? Maybe. It is across the street from a theatre and a multi-plex consisting of a 24 hr restaurant, bar, convenience store and ice cream shoppe. However, there is also a Day's Inn down the road that offers all the same perks (pool, breakfast, 24 hr shuttle) so I would probably try that out just to compare.

All in all, I'm on the fence with this one. Can use some updates and improvements.....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alysheeba
Black River Falls, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2011

My husband and I had a rained out camping trip and wanted somewhere to stay for the night with good food. We have always thought that casinos would be good so we called Hinckley. There were no rooms at the casino but they would book a room down the road a mile at the Grand Northern Inn. When we checked in the staff was not friendly or inviting at all. I signed the agreement for the room of $150 but 10 minutes later found out they put a hold on my credit card for $200. I understand the hold but some communication about the extra $50 would be nice so I don't freak out that the hotel charged my card the incorrect amount. Then the room smelled very musty and the bathroom was horribly dirty. The bed was AWFUL, I have never woke up with a worse back ache. For a room price of $150 I would NEVER recommend anyone stay here.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
#4 of 6 in Hinckley
#1 of 1 in Finlayson
Grand Casino Hinckley
Grand Casino Hinckley
#1 of 6 in Hinckley

Been to Grand Northern Inn? Share your experiences!