“Equal to any of the better casinos outside of Las Vages”

Grand Casino Hinckley
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hinckley
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Equal to any of the better casinos outside of Las Vages”
Reviewed August 3, 2010

Having visited casinos in most of Canada and the United States I would rate the Grand Hotel and Casino, Hinckley, as equivalent in service, accommodation and gaming to any of the better venues. We have just completed our third two night visit during the past three months and are planning our next mini holiday. The staff in every department starting at the front desk and continuing throughout to the casino floor are knowledgeable and courteous, the food is great, and the rooms are clean, comfortable and exceptionally quiet.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed June 21, 2010

I enjoy a Decent Casino , this isn't one of them. It is just OK , machines are very tight , I have been here for 2 days have not seen anyone on floor hit a jackpot. I realize you usually loose in a Casino but would be nice to play a bit more for $$$ spent. There are alot of machines but most of them are very outdated , not very many new games here. Food and service are just OK also. My 1st and last time for this place

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank DudefromTBay
Minnesota
Reviewed February 23, 2010

The Hotel is average. We had a room on the older West wing so there was not a refrigerator to keep our beverages in. The Food was very good. We had the Crab Legs (on a Sunday Night) The only bad experience was the Bartender's at the Silver sevens bar. There was only 1 bartender at a time serving and they were not in a hurry to serve their customers. One friend ordered a drink with Coke and got Diet Coke instead. The Bartender insisted she ordered diet coke and almost refused to give her the correct drink. My friend said she cannot drink diet coke and would NEVER order a drink that contained it. He rudely took the drink, dumped it out and made her a new one. Is it not still the saying that "The Customer is always Right"?

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank dbestbets
PINE CITY, MN
Reviewed February 21, 2010

We had booked a reservation for a poolside room to have a birthday party for my daughter and her friends. it was very important for us to have a poolside room to go in and out of since we had smaller children in our party. upon arrival we were informed that they did not book us in a poolside room and there was nothing they could do for us. They refused to give us any sort of discount for the inconvenience. The pool was dirty and the room was very noisy. We do not recommend this hotel and will not use them again

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank LUCKYENGH
IL
Reviewed December 29, 2009

If you're heading to Grand Casino Hinckley, be sure to allow some to relax at the Grand Harmony Spa. I was delightfully surprised by the staff and facility. I've been to the spa several times now and have never been disappointed. The facility is roomy, clean and very relaxing. When I made the reservation they recommended I arrive early, so glad I took the advice. I took time to sit in the steam room and hot tub to unwind before my day of pampering. If you're interested in a massage, I would recommend Josh or Connie, for a facial Jenelle (she's the only one I've had, but she's great!) and for a pedicure Monica.

Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Grand Casino used to have the best buffet in the whole area. I was there on a Wednesday and they had their "smokehouse buffet" for $14.99. It was so bad, I felt sorry for the staff having to work there. The BBQ ribs had NO sauce on them. The bean dishes were so mashed up they were unrecognizable. The mashed potatoes were even bad.
Then - the room-- It was in an area where there were workman, and they started hammering away at 8 a.m. I usually go to these places to get some much needed R&R, and I was disappointed that I was awakened this early, especially since I don't sleep well in the first place. The TV's are old and it was hard to change the channel. Why don't they have flat screens? Time to up-date. The lamps all had the tops removed--the part that holds the shade on. I don't know if people steal these things or what, but every time I went to turn on a lamp, the shade fell off. The bedspread smelled bad. I know, I know--I've read that they are NEVER washed, but this one really smelled bad--can't they at least wash them once in a while?
All in all, I am truly disappointed with Grand Casino Hinckley.

2 Thank katerina111
Minnesota
Reviewed December 8, 2009

The hotel and casino are great, we were meeting friends so decided to try the STEAK buffet, for $16.99 a person we thought it should be fine. Was that a mistake. it wasn't very busy so I thought it wouldn't take long for a steak to be prepared, well, there were too identical pans of quarter inch thick slices of steak shaped meat, one marked new york strip - med rare and the other ribeye med rare . There were about a dozen pieces of meat all dry and because of the thickness extremely well done. We asked about the prime rib and were directed to another pan that was a cross between meatloaf and swiss steak. The other items were a baked chicken, oriental items, ham and turkey veggies, mashed and baked potato all warm but none hot. I asked about a steak knife and was told my butter knife should be fine.
I have travelled Mexico extensively and that's exactly what I saw here was an all inclusive buffet without seafood. No, there was a small bowl with 10 small peal and eats
This was not even passable as a cheap luncheon buffet

1 Thank viking226
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Grand Hinckley Inn
#1 of 1 in Finlayson
Grantsburg Inn
Grantsburg Inn
#1 of 2 in Grantsburg

Been to Grand Casino Hinckley? Share your experiences!