“GRAND HINCKLEY INN****Very rude staff and incompetent reservationists”

Grand Casino Hinckley
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Hinckley
PINE CITY, MN
“GRAND HINCKLEY INN****Very rude staff and incompetent reservationists”
Reviewed February 21, 2010

We had booked a reservation for a poolside room to have a birthday party for my daughter and her friends. it was very important for us to have a poolside room to go in and out of since we had smaller children in our party. upon arrival we were informed that they did not book us in a poolside room and there was nothing they could do for us. They refused to give us any sort of discount for the inconvenience. The pool was dirty and the room was very noisy. We do not recommend this hotel and will not use them again

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank LUCKYENGH

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
IL
Reviewed December 29, 2009

If you're heading to Grand Casino Hinckley, be sure to allow some to relax at the Grand Harmony Spa. I was delightfully surprised by the staff and facility. I've been to the spa several times now and have never been disappointed. The facility is roomy, clean and very relaxing. When I made the reservation they recommended I arrive early, so glad I took the advice. I took time to sit in the steam room and hot tub to unwind before my day of pampering. If you're interested in a massage, I would recommend Josh or Connie, for a facial Jenelle (she's the only one I've had, but she's great!) and for a pedicure Monica.

Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed December 11, 2009

Grand Casino used to have the best buffet in the whole area. I was there on a Wednesday and they had their "smokehouse buffet" for $14.99. It was so bad, I felt sorry for the staff having to work there. The BBQ ribs had NO sauce on them. The bean dishes were so mashed up they were unrecognizable. The mashed potatoes were even bad.
Then - the room-- It was in an area where there were workman, and they started hammering away at 8 a.m. I usually go to these places to get some much needed R&R, and I was disappointed that I was awakened this early, especially since I don't sleep well in the first place. The TV's are old and it was hard to change the channel. Why don't they have flat screens? Time to up-date. The lamps all had the tops removed--the part that holds the shade on. I don't know if people steal these things or what, but every time I went to turn on a lamp, the shade fell off. The bedspread smelled bad. I know, I know--I've read that they are NEVER washed, but this one really smelled bad--can't they at least wash them once in a while?
All in all, I am truly disappointed with Grand Casino Hinckley.

2 Thank katerina111
Minnesota
Reviewed December 8, 2009

The hotel and casino are great, we were meeting friends so decided to try the STEAK buffet, for $16.99 a person we thought it should be fine. Was that a mistake. it wasn't very busy so I thought it wouldn't take long for a steak to be prepared, well, there were too identical pans of quarter inch thick slices of steak shaped meat, one marked new york strip - med rare and the other ribeye med rare . There were about a dozen pieces of meat all dry and because of the thickness extremely well done. We asked about the prime rib and were directed to another pan that was a cross between meatloaf and swiss steak. The other items were a baked chicken, oriental items, ham and turkey veggies, mashed and baked potato all warm but none hot. I asked about a steak knife and was told my butter knife should be fine.
I have travelled Mexico extensively and that's exactly what I saw here was an all inclusive buffet without seafood. No, there was a small bowl with 10 small peal and eats
This was not even passable as a cheap luncheon buffet

1 Thank viking226
St. Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Casino, in the hotel connected to the casino, Nov. 20-22. The room was beautiful! Had a lovely dinner at the Winds restaurant, went with the steak and lobster, everything was perfect. Great service, good food and wine.

The casino was just as fun. They have a little lounge that had a great band that played a little of everything and they just recently started to allow drinking on the floor which was a plus. They have bartenders out on the floor standing by tubs of beer-here you get 16oz bottles instead of the 12 oz in the lounge for the same price. They don't however serve wine or liqour so you would need to go to the lounge for that. I had no problem getting a glass of wine there though. If you are looking for a larger bar that casino shuttle will bring you up to a local bar and it also picks you up from there. We chose to stay at the casino but a few people we have met did this and said it was a great time.

In the morning we decided to do room service over going down to their Grand Grill. The food was hot and very good! Huge portions, so if you are not a big eater you might want to split a plate. The pool is nice and warm and not overly crowded with children. Overall great time!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank stellastravels
minnesota
Reviewed December 1, 2009

We stayed at the Grand Northern Inn on a Saturday night in a king suite. When I reserved the room over the phone the staff did not inform me that it was the Grand Northern Inn and not the main hotel. This required me to stand in line at main hotel and then be informed that I was not statying there. The room was clean and ready but for the money it was small. There was very little information in the room for us to read as far as shuttle times, pool times, resturant info, etc... The service staff was very blunt and uninformative. We had reserved a roll away and when we checked in were told that we could not have one. It was a good thing a manager was there that informed the staff that yes that room could have a roll away. The pool does not open until 9am. Long time to wait to swim if your checking out early and you have to walk through the dining area to get to the pool. Breakfast was good with a wide variety but the serving staff was very unfriendly. There was no morning greeting and they never smiled once. They acted as if they did not want to be there. The heater was noisy. It ran all night never shutting off once, blowing cold air than warm.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank hippechic
Grand Rapids, Minnesota
Reviewed October 19, 2009

(Though the casino/restaurants are obviously part of the larger experience here, the focus of this review is on the hotel portion of my stay. I will say the casino does have a large selection of current games. The buffet was OK, but seems to have gone downhill over the years.)

We stayed here on our way to the Twin Cities as part of an in-state long weekend. The check in line was surprisingly long for a Thursday night and we had to park a ways away. We were a little disappointed when we arrived to our 2nd floor king room. We looked directly onto the main roof, so there was no view to speak of. They also had the window welded shut (this seems to be a trend in hotels we've stayed in lately?? Though I suppose in this case maybe they were having problems with kids running around of the roof. Yes we were RIGHT on the roof!)

The decor was a little dated and some of the furniture has seen it's better days. The TV was an older model with kind of a weird green tinge to the picture. Time to update to flat screens! One of the power outlets didn't work and there were NO convenient power outlets next to the bed. Nowhere to charge my phone within easy reach overnight. My husband had to move the bed out to find an outlet to plug in his CPAP machine.

The worst thing happened the following morning when a workman walked directly in front of our window! He didn't actually LOOK in the window and thankfully we were "decent" at the time, but it's still a little creepy! You would think they could have warned us about this when we checked in?

On the plus side, the bed was very comfy...some kind of memory foam.

If we had gotten a $50 rate that others have mentioned, I would have felt this was a fair price to pay for what we got...but for $89 midweek, it was a little steep for me given our experience. I'd recommend if the price was right.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank midnitebreeze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Grand Hinckley Inn
#1 of 1 in Finlayson
Grantsburg Inn
Grantsburg Inn
#1 of 2 in Grantsburg

Been to Grand Casino Hinckley? Share your experiences!