“Sketchy to the max”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hinckley
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Sketchy to the max”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My two friends and I stayed here because all the rooms at the Casino were booked. From a distance, this Inn already looked like the kind of place that people get murdered in movies. As we pulled up by the lobby door, we noticed that the word "open" was written on the sign in red marker, which was not doing anything to improve crappy first impression. We went inside and it smelled super weird, the floors felt hallow and it was dimly lit.
At first, we thought it was kind of funny that we were staying in room 13 in this shifty motel. The joke lost it's humor when our room turned out to more than live up to it's superstitious moniker. In the middle of a Minnesotan winter, the thermostat in our room DIDN'T WORK. We freezed our butts off the entire night. The room was also poorly lit and creepy as well.
The layout for breakfast was also janky and pathetic. When we got out there there was a quarter full container of cheerios and one mini muffin. There didn't appear to be any other beverage options besides coffee. We went out to breakfast at Tobies instead and then got out of room 13 as fast as possible.

Room Tip: Don't pick room 13, the heat doesn't work.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Josie W
abvihinckley, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
I would like to thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay at Americas Best Value Inn. We value your opinion and thank you for taking the time to let us know where improvement is needed. I apologize that you were not able to adjust your heat. Our thermostats are located on the wall and that needs to be turned on as well as the fan by the window. Normally a call to the front desk can remedy this problem. I have spoken to our staff and will be making changes on making it easier for guest's to work our heat. We are an older motel and we are in the process of making changes. I hope you will give us another opportunity to extend our hospitality.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have never been so disgusted by a hotel before! When we checked in I had to kill bugs that were in the room by the small fridge and microwave. These were bugs I have never seen before and I made the front desk agent come up and grab it because I was not about to touch it. She even admitted she had no idea what it was. This made a very bad start to our stay. When I went to take a shower and unrolled the bath mat it was black. When taking a shower the tub plug was crusted over and looked like it was about 10 years old. The soap dispenser by the sink shot out a white crusty piece and then continuously leaked to where there was big pool under it in the morning.

When we got back to the hotel around 10pm that night and went to get into bed there were holes in all the sheets and blankets. I laid down to watch something and started itching terribly (I now have a rash on my entire left side). I decided to put my clothes on because I was not going to try to drive at 11pm an hour and a half back home. We were told the hotel was sold out and there were no others rooms to move to. I then noticed there was no heat in the room. So we froze the entire night and got barely any sleep. When I went to the front desk to ask for a refund the entire housekeeping staff was standing behind the front desk arguing with me that it was fine the day before when it was cleaned. I offered to have them go up to the room with me and they refused and only offered me $10. I had to literally argue with the lady for her to give me $20 because she said the owners would never allow a full refund. This is a load of bull since I have worked in a hotel for 9 years at the front desk and know that is just an excuse when you don't want to give a refund.

My advice is to find another hotel or just go to the casino and drive back home. You'll be happier driving home then staying in this disgusting excuse for a motel.

Room Tip: Do not sleep in room 52!
4 Thank Jenna G
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience incurred during your recent stay. We had just installed the soap dispensers and apologize for the issues that you had regarding that. Maintainence has been informed and has primed and fixed any soap dispenser that needed it. We are an older motel and are in the process of updating rooms. Again please accept our apologies and I hopeyou will give us another opportunity to extend our usual hospitaltiy.
Chetek, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed February 17, 2013

1.) The only reason that my Fiance and i stayed here is because Days Inn and Grand Casino was booked.2) It reminds me of the Hotel from Psycho mixed with a cheap white trash hotel that you would go to keep a secret. 3.) The Walls were made of plywood so i all i can hear is some lady gossiping at 3 am 3). The Floor wasnt Vacuumed 4.) Very Few Outlets and behind the bed was dust and mor dust. 5.) The Appliances looked like they were from the 1980s. Hotel was worth only 50 bucks a night if that 6.) The Showers reminded me of Garden Hoses and the heat turns off and on throughout the night.

2 Thank Derek P
I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay at Americas Best Value Inn. We are an older hotel and are currently working on updating our rooms. Some of them have already been done. I apologize that you did not have the opportunity to see a different room during your stay. I have notified the head house keeper in regards to the dust behind the nightstand and we are making changes in our housekeeping department. Again I would like apologize and I hope you will give us another opportunity in the near future to extend our hospitality.
Murdock, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We have stayed here on other occasions and enjoyed our stays. Rooms are very clean in the main building and the back building. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Rooms have the rustic up north feel to them. Would recommend this Inn to my friends and family alike. Will stay here again when we pass thru Hinckley on the way to and from the North shores of Superior.

1 Thank Kathy M
I would like to thank you for staying at Americas Best Value Inn and for the positive feedback you gave our property and staff. We pride ourselves on offering clean rooms at affordable prices. We are happy to serve you and look forward to your next visit. Again thank you.
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Our room was very clean, and everything worked as needed. Our room was upstairs in the back unit... Very nice vaulted ceiling, fresh wallpaper, and wood beams. Feels comfy. All staff were friendly and helpful. While it's not a top-of-the-line fancy hotel, it provides a quiet night's sleep at a reasonable price. I would stay here again!

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Guestlodger
abvihinckley, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for staying at Americas Best Value Inn Hinckley. I appreciate your feed back and I am so happy you enjoyed your stay. I have shared this information with the staff and we look forward to serving you again in the future. We will continue to provide great customer service and clean rooms at affordable prices. Again I thank you.
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed August 26, 2012

I ended up staying here only because I was going to a concert at the Hinckley Casino, and they were booked for the night. Amazingly, the price on this place was $70, which was even more than the casino. To start with, the key card system on the outside doors and the room doors was broken, so to be let in or out of the rooms you had to get the front desk person to let you in. It seemed like it had been broken for some time, and there was no rush to fix it. The room was damp, smelled musty, and there were several items of clothing left from the previous guest in the room (Ladies size XXL). The bathroom was filthy and there were rings of filth in the toilet, so it was obvious it had not been cleaned in some time. I could go on...but I think that makes my point. I have stayed in a lot of cheap motels before, but this is absolutely the bottom of the barrel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Blake P
I would like to thank you for your feedback. Since your review I have taken your feedback to make improvements. I do apologize that the doors were not working properly at the time of your stay. Our key system at that time was having issues but that problem has been fixed. As for your room I do apologize for the clothes left in the room and we have made changes to our housekeeping staff. Again I appreciate your feedback and would like you to know we have made changes.
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Didn't even spend the night in the room it was that bad!! The windows didn't even have cranks on them and the smell was unbearable! The shower had several hairs in it. The bed looked like it had gone a while without the bedding changed! Bed bugs were the first thing we thought of.

The sign on the door stated "The ABVI does not permit illegal drug use and underage drinking at this property and will report all such activity to the Pine County Sheriff's Department." Not exactly reassuring, especially when the "security door" didn't require a key. I would sleep in my car before spending the money for a room there!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank perry810
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Grand Hinckley Inn
#1 of 1 in Finlayson
Grantsburg Inn
Grantsburg Inn
#1 of 2 in Grantsburg

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!