“Ghetto property.....Priced way too high for what is offered”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Hinckley
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Ghetto property.....Priced way too high for what is offered”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

My son and I visited Hinckley this past Friday, deciding at the last minute to try to get a room. There were some higher priced remaining rooms at the Grand Casino properties, but we were on a tight budget. We called the America's Best Value Inn and found a room for $79 plus tax, 2 double beds. This was about $15 better than GCH, so decided to try it. BAD DECISION!
The reservationist we called directly at the property (not the 800 number chain reservations - never do that!) was pleasant enough. When we arrived, we almost missed the entrance. 1000 feet in the sky there is a sign the size of a small TV with the hotel name on it. Approaching, the main office building has no signage stating it's ABVI. Simply say's 'office'. (There are other small businesses around as well). Adjoining this office is a motor inn where you enter from the outside. Beyond this is some random looking dormitory style building. THIS is where our room was. Parking was sketchy. We entered the 'security door' (no key card was required to enter the 'security door'?????) It looked like the inside of a public storage building and smelled strongly of mold/mildew/grandma's basement. The room itself was appointed in outdated things. There was mismatched hodge-podge bits of paneling on some walls. The a/c unit was severely rusted and from pre-1970. The bedspreads are worn and dated. The carpet was the worst....I didn't want to be barefoot, or even stocking footed on the carpet. There were stains and rips and spills near the bed. It smelled heavily of mold/mildew wet-basement. The TV and remote are ancient collector's items. We immediately thought cockroaches and bedbugs because of the worn appearance and strong smell.....I will give kudos to the housekeepers who made this yukky room clean, however. I don't think this is their fault or issue at all. The towels were raggedy, and the bathroom was exactly twice the width and exactly the length of the bathtub. We passed on showering after looking at the garden hose shower head perched inside.
I guess I would've rather stayed in the motor-inn section of this property, but was not given the option or description of the facility upon reserving a room. I have stayed at mom-n-pop places where hand-me-down amenities can be expected. I DO NOT expect this from a national chain, however. We will never return to this place, especially for the price of it. I have stayed at places better than this for $45 near Black Bear. I have also stayed at an extended stay property in the Twin Cities with a full kitchen for half the amount I payed in Hinckley. People, do NOT waste your money here; it's gross.
Shame on the corporate management, shame on the owner/operators. Oh - one more 'welcoming' piece of literature......Displayed on the back of the room door was a warning posted to all 'valued' guests. The ABVI does not permit illegal drug use and underage drinking at this property and will report all such activity to the Pine County Sheriff's Department. Made me feel like we were staying in a crack house/house of ill repute. Way to set the tone. YUK.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else - one of the Grand Casino properties are 100x better than this dump
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank travelgirl1960

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Minneapolis
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Went to see a concert at the Casino and this was one of the last rooms we could get.
Service: When we arrived we were greeted by a very nice front desk clerk and were on our way to our room very quickly.
Room: The place is very dated. We had a HUGE room and it was clean and that is all we could ask for as we just needed a place to sleep. There were new tiles in the bathroom, a fridge and a micro which were very nice and the bed was ok to sleep on. Our room was very dark and needed light. The TV was old and the channels did not work well but again, ok in a pinch. Also, it was actually very quiet so I was happy with that especially when we were right next to the stairs.
Breakfast: We did not use the breakfast ( actually, I don't think they had one) .
Close to activities: Actually, this was good, close to dining and not far from the casino.. No activities at the hotel at all.

Will we stay there again? Not if we can get into the casino hotels but it was not terrible so if we had to it would not be the end of the world.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank voltech2
Cedar Lake, Indiana, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

I had to clean the nightstands off with a rag, hair in the bathroom sink, the bathroom floor had something sticky and tar-like on it, the floors didn't even look like they were vaccuumed! This was the only hotel left in town that had a room since we were in town for a funeral we had no other choice. I would not stay here again. It makes me sick to think about how much we paid for a place like this.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank pianomom5
, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience incurred during your recent visit at the Americas Best Value Inn of Hinckley. We credit our success in the lodging industry to providing good service and accommodations at affordable prices.

I thank you for taking the time to let us know where improvement is needed. Housekeeping has been notified and the proper changes are being made. We hope you will give us another opportunity to extend our usual hospitality.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

Not a bad place to stay in a pinch but I wouldn't recommend staying here if other options are available.

Upon arriving to the hotel, the front desk clerk was very put off and frustrated...not with us but in general. Yes, I do not expect 5 star service but I do expect a positive demeanor an a helpful attitude. Instead we felt we were inconveniencing her.

The room we stayed in was seriously dated. The carpet is just plain gross, the tv was from the early 90s, maybe earlier. The chair in the room were dirty to the naked eye, as was the in-room coffee pot. I'm guessing the bed spread hadnt been laundered in sometime either.

To me the staff seems to be lazy and put off with doing their job...the right way. I expected more in terms of service and quality of room for $90 a night...not a lot more but seriously...the place was kind of a dump.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank BigMinnie
, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
I would like to thank you for letting us know where improvement is needed. We are an older hotel and we are making changes to the rooms. We realize some of the rooms need to be updated and we are in the process of doing so. We try to credit our success in the lodging industry with good accommodations and customer service and I apologize if you felt you did not receive that from us.
Saint Paul
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

We only live about 70 miles away from this hotel, but because we did not want to get up early to go to Saint Croix State Park, we stayed here for the night so the next morning we could go to the park early, but without waking up at 4 - 5 am in the morning. Not clean as the ceiling beams were covered with spider web, there was hair on the bathroom floor, and it smelled funny. Also, it was very, very loud. I would not stay here again. We checked out at 6:00 AM and the breakfast was not there yet, so can't comment on that.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Ia T
dayton mn
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2012

We went there for an overnight last week whilst seeing a concert at the casino. Very nice, clean rooms. Looked to be recently remodeled( we saw three rooms - ours and our friends'). One of our firends had an issue with the squeakly hallway, but we slept through it!
Comp B'fast left a lot to be desired, but we weren't there for that anyway. would definately stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Stillwater, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

I recently stayed at this motel. I had read the reviews for this property and they were quite critical, so I was a bit concerned with what I would encounter. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. The staff was excellent, the room was clean and very spacious. The continental breakfast was a bit lame, but I would stay at this motel again.

Room Tip: I asked for an upgrade and was given one at no extra cost. They were very willing to make my stay a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
abvihinckley, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
I would like to thank you for staying at Americas Best Value Inn Hinckley. We would like to thank you for your comments on our motel. We are working really hard in providing a clean room at an affordable price. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hinckley
Grand Casino Hinckley
#1 of 1 in Finlayson
Grantsburg Inn
Grantsburg Inn
#1 of 2 in Grantsburg

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!