“Bakery”

Tobies
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Hinckley
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Ham Lake, Minnesota
“Bakery”
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I bought a 90th birthday cake there and it was absolutely horrible...dry cake and the frosting was like hard sugar. I used to buy bread and caramel rolls there all the time, but I think there quality has dropped a bit too.

Visited April 2014

Glencoe, Minnesota
“Breakfast”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

Stopped on the way to Duluth for breakfast. Meals were reasonably priced & the potato pancakes were very good. Must order the fresh carmel rolls they were also delicious. I would consider stopping again for lunch or dinner.

• Visited March 2014
Rochester, Minnesota
“Mediocre all around”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Recently we spent a few days at Grand Casino in Hinckley. Our first day we decided to have lunch at Tobies before we took a little road trip tour around the area. Tobies has bright, inviting clean atmosphere. They have a nice bakery that has some really good baked goods. We bought some whole grain cranberry nut bread that made delicious sandwiches.

But the restaurant was a different story. First our waitress was slow in getting to our table. Once we decided what we wanted to eat we had to wait quite some time for her to return. I ordered a wrap that was one of their specials that's not on the menu. That probably was my first mistake as often restaurants use specials to use up left over food rather than disposing of it. Anyway the wrap had chicken, romaine lettuce, bacon, tomato, etc in it. It looked great when the waitress brought it. But upon removing the paper wrapped around it so I could eat it I discovered it wasn't rolled correctly, in fact it wasn't rolled at all. It was merely folded over like a soft taco and the contents immediately started spilling out. The tortilla was dry like it had been laying around for sometime.

Then the morning we left the casino to drive home we thought lets just stop at Tobies to grab some breakfast. This time the food was actually good. But breakfast is a little less hard to screw up. My complaint once again is with the waitress. I ordered oatmeal, they have a different oatmeal on their menu as well, a 7 grain oatmeal. The waitress almost insisted that I get the 7 grain, I wanted plain oatmeal.

If we stay at the casino again we'll be crossing the bridge to Cassidy's. restaurant I've heard good things about them.

• Visited October 2013
Owatonna, Minnesota
“Good Food, Service So-so”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Waitress Bonnie, early pm on Sat Oct. 19 waited on us. She took our orders for 2 soup & sandwiches, milk and coffee. Brought meals and coffee, no milk. She asked if anything else, I said yes, my milk. We did not see her for a while, and asked again for milk. Then she came with bill and said she was going on break, and still no milk, even though she said for the 3rd time she would bring it. We asked Hostess who was walking by and finally another waitress brought milk. Was then informed that Bonnie did not go on break, but went home. Bill was also wrong, with wrong food items listed. Gave a large tip to new waitress that helped correct bill and bring milk, telling her that it is NOT for Bonnie and to tell Bonnie why. Hostess apologized for service.

• Visited October 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“service has declined”
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I have stopped here many times over the years and recently stopped for lunch. I sat in the dining room and waited 10 min...two waitresses walked by my table and looked at me and didn't say hello...or "be right with you"...nothing! It was like I was invisible. I had heard from another person that the service isn't what it used to be. So...after realizing that I wasn't going to see a menu...I moved to another dining section where a young waitress was quite busy with her tables. She acknowledged me right away and her service was good. The food was so-so...I did get some caramel rolls to-go...next time I think I'll just keep driving or choose Cassidy's down the street. They also need to update their dining room...very outdated. But they should work on improving their service and food first.

Visited October 2013