“Super 8 Should Pay You To Stay Here...YUCK!!!”

Americas Best Value Inn Hibbing
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Hibbing
Reviewed May 24, 2013

WOW! Where to begin?! We were in Hibbing due to a family emergency and needed a place to stay. Honestly...we should've just stayed in our vehicle. When I reserved this hotel online, I felt $70 [tax included] seemed a bit steep, but the photos on Super 8's website made the property look decent and in Hibbing, there aren't many hotel options. When we arrived to check in, we waited and waited for a representative to come to the desk. Finally, after about 5 minutes we picked up the phone on the desk and although there were no instructions on what to do to reach anyone...we instinctively pressed "0". We told the woman who answered that we had been waiting in the lobby--if you can even even really call 8 square feet a lobby--for awhile for someone. When she came to the desk, she wasn't dressed in any sort of Super 8 identifying uniform. She was wearing a worn and faded Hibbing hoodie. GREAT first impression...really! She never apologized for making us wait and was not the least bit friendly. After we got checked in, we proceeded to our room...another 'nice' surprise. Welcome to 1985 people! The room consisted of ONE queen sized bed...with a bedspread...not a douvet like has been the new norm for about the past decade...at least. A recliner was shoved in a corner, a large dresser...which had definitely seen better days held a massive TV [non-plasma/flat screen] on it, a desk and chair [not a traditional work desk chair with wheels and a high back...mind you. A regular cloth-covered wooden based chair.] and some lamps. The housekeeper did a poor job of vacuuming as we discovered many various items left on the carpet: rice, pebbles and candy wrappers to name just a few. The bathroom too was beyond basic. The towel rack was loose and leaned to the right. The towels were yellowish and incredibly threadbare...not plush. There wasn't even a bottle of shampoo in the there...which is most certainly standard EVERYwhere I've ever stayed. In the tub...long black hairs...big surprise. The light fixture was yellowed, as well, with several cracks/breaks in it. The moulding near the base of the tub was dented and pulling away...revealing the wall behind. When I reserved this room...it said a mini fridge/microwave were included with the room. Well...unless they were invisible...we didn't have either in our room. I went back down to the desk...again not a soul around...and picked up the phone. This time the lady didn't even bother to come to the desk. She instead said: "They weren't in the room???"...like she was surprised to hear this. She then said she'd TRY to find one...but that all the rooms with fridges/microwaves were already occupied. We were travelling with an infant and that's why we even stayed there...for those ammenities. After being gone for several hours, we returned to our room to find the fridge/microwave inside. This...was probably the ONLY plus of this stay. They actually followed through with what they promised us online. When it came time to go to sleep...I was a little leary of pulling back the bedspread to see what lied beneath. The sheets looked clean...so we went to sleep. Our room was just a few doors down from one of the side entries...and OH MY GOD!...talk about loud. The side entries have no secure keycard access...they're always unlocked. When someone comes or goes from them they SLAM shut. We were there on a weekend, so the racket continued until the wee hours of the night. Needless to say...a good night's sleep was not had. The offer a continental 'breakfast' in the morning...skip it! Seriously. It was the weakest showing of complimentary breakfast that I have ever encountered. It consisted of: 2 kinds of cereal, instant oatmeal, tiny pre-packaged cinnamon rolls, juice, coffee, bread for toast [no english muffins or bagels even] toasted waffles with a huge jug of syrup for you to pour on afterwards instead of the single-serve or pump dispenser syrup you typically see. The absolute worst was the yogurt. It was sitting on the counter...in a bowl...with no ice on it. WARM YOGURT?!?! Sidenote: There was an ice machine not even 5 feet away...but I guess the staff decided it was too much work to do? When we attempted to check out, again no one near the desk. After calling, a lady came down to check us out. I advised her of our most unpleasant stay. She proceeded to tell me that both she and the woman who checked us in lived on property and that's why they don't sit at the desk...they're in their rooms. Well...fabulous. This property does not have either a pool or a hot tub and no elevator. So, if you have special needs and you ABSOLUTELY need to stay here...request a room on the first floor. They do not even offer a computer/printer for guest use. This 'hotel' is terribly run-down and not maintained...and is in a desolate part of town. The surroundings looked like abandoned warehouses...kinda creepy. Again...I paid $70.00 for this place and say with strict confidence: I will not return. If you don't believe me how horrible this Super 8 is...just view my photos. I took plenty of them.

Room Tip: I doubt there is a 'good room' option for this property...no views to speak of.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Americas Best Value Inn Hibbing

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Got into the hotel and it reeked of cigarette smoke. The front desk clerk complained about personal problems.. didn't need to hear that. However the room itself was clean, with the exception of a cigarette burn in the chair and the sink. However the pillows were the worse I have ever encountered.. not sure you can call the pillows even.. ugh. , When we checked out we had to ring the clerk on the phone cause there was no one on the front desk and we waited seemed like a long time. She came out grumpy and sleepy not saying a word! I will never ever go there again!!
If you smoke it is fine otherwise.....

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

I read the previous reviews and must say that I completely disagree with some of them. While this hotel is a little out of the way, my experience here was exceptional. I was in town because of a family medical emergency and the staff at this hotel was more than accommodating. I didn't know how long my stay would be and they adjusted everything on their end so to take lodging off my list of worries. I cannot say enough about how pleasant and helpful the entire staff was. The rooms and bathrooms were clean, spacious and well furnished. My room had a refrigerator and microwave and two queen beds. I was VERY well pleased and would not hesitate to recommend or stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We used this property for 1 night prior to flying out of Hibbing airport. Our room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful. The beakfast was about average for a Super 8. This being one of only two motels in Hibbing narrows your choices. We woulf stay here again if the need arose.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

1  Thank Rick B
Reviewed April 11, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hibbing
Hampton Inn Hibbing
#1 of 4 in Virginia
Super 8 Eveleth
Super 8 Eveleth
#1 of 2 in Eveleth

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Hibbing? Share your experiences!