“Simply Serene.....”

Mitchell-Tappan House
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hibbing
Mitchell-Tappan House
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hibbing
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Because I stay in hotels approximately 140 night a year, I have become very set in my ways and very choosy where I lay my head down each night. There were not any of the hotels of the national chain I usually stay at, so I searched for hotels in Hibbing. This Bed and Breakfast came up and I called immediately and spoke with Pam, the owner. She was as pleasant as anyone I have ever spoken with and it truly is the area (Iron Range) where the slogan, "Minnesota Nice" stems from. I have no doubt. I stayed in the carriage house in the back yard and it was beyond words. Pristine, elegant, simple, cozy, quaint, and VERY quiet. I did not want to leave. I have already told a friend and he will be staying there later this month. I would love to bring my wife back for a lovely weekend stay.

Room Tip: I can only speak for the carriage house in the back. It is separate from the main house and you hav...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank jbwaaadeal

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Make your reservation early they fill up. Very charming and numerous rooms to choose from. Breakfast was made to order. So much nicer than the local hotel. Quiet neighborhood. Plenty of parking. No smells every room has been renovated with tasteful decoration.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MomLaxRef
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were in town for a wedding and found this B&B here online. It turned out to be a great choice! We would strongly recommend it to anyone. They have done a super job with updates and the home is very comfortable. Breakfast was very nice and the other guest provided interesting conversation. Pam is a winderful hostess! She was completely honest during my booking calls and the entire process. We would definitely stay here again as the value simply can't be beat.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Zfamily_traveling
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed on the upper floor. Bed fairly comfortable, bath leaves a lot lacking, one sink for dishes and hygiene. Way way too many stuffed animals to the point of being obnoxious, they are everywhere.
Hostess was nice and attentive.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor not the 3rd.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank P F
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Pam and Mike love this place and it shows! NO smoke odors anywhere (local shopkeeper told us the Super8 in Hibbing is where all the truck drivers stay when I mentioned the comments on this site). Lots of cheerful blues and yellows. The silk flowers mentioned elsewhere are beautifully done accent pieces and not in your face. The furnishings mix old & new, and are practical for travelers. Since it is just two blocks from downtown and located in a pleasant residential area, we enjoyed crunching through the snow on our walks every evening. Everyone keeps their sidewalks shoveled, the streets are well-lit,and the plows come through regularly. Birding on the renowned Sax-Zim Bog (a dry experience with miles of paved roads and several maintained feeders) provided a close encounter with LifeBirds: Greater Grey Owl, Hawk Owl, Hoary Redpoll, Sharp Tailed Grouse, a Borreal Chickadee among Blackcapped Chickadees,as well as a Bald Eagle, Grey Jays, several Woodpeckers, and even a Raven as well as Crows. As retired easterners who have lived out west for many years, a visit into snow country has been delightful and, thanks to the Turnbulls, comfortable!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 6, 2013

This home was such a surprise after viewing the big industrial digging at the mine north of town. The room we stayed in was exquisitely decorated. The whole place was right of a This Old House Magazine make-over. The bed and bedding were luxurious, the room was so large that it had a sitting area, TV, table and chairs with a beautiful crystal chandelier over the table. The separate bath was modern yet fit perfectly with the room., The Innkeeper Pam prepared a tasty frittata with fresh fruits and heavenly breads.
Pam told us that we should visit the high school before we leave town. What a mind-blower that was...it looked like a mansion, with fine art, frescos, carved moldings, gorgeous woodwork and a stained-glass front for the fire extinguisher cabinet. The local maintenance engineer gave us the grand tour.
The Minnesota Discovery Center, 5 miles north, in Chisholm, was informative and festive.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank a2grdtcher
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Places that get *all* 5-star reviews are suspect ... because it's got to be fake, right? Nope, this is the real deal. It's clean (but not perfumey-chemical clean ... they dry the sheets outside on the clothesline so they smell like fresh air!) and nice. Close to everything you want to walk to on Howard Street (main drag of Hibbing). Beds are cushy, rooms are quiet with lots of light, there are tons of extra towels, blankets (even your own bathrobes), etc. Prices for this B&B are very reasonable, considering you get a delicious homemade breakfast. I stayed in the 3rd floor "twin beds" room which has a shared bathroom, but I was the only guest on the 3rd floor when I stayed, so I had the whole attic to myself. The owners are very careful of guests' privacy, and quick to accommodate any needs, such as breakfast times. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. Next time I'm coming back with my husband to stay in the the "garden suite," a kitchenette room with a queen bed and courtyard away from the main building.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank jmichaelss
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hibbing
Hampton Inn Hibbing
Americas Best Value Inn Hibbing
Lakeshore Motor Inn
Lakeshore Motor Inn
#1 of 4 in Virginia

Been to Mitchell-Tappan House? Share your experiences!